Death from Ritalin - Truth Behind ADHD

  • Sh0shanna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002
      Subj: Death From Ritalin!!
      Date: 12/6/02 7:59:06 AM Mountain Standard Time

      Death From Ritalin

      The Truth Behind ADHD

      <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/">www.RitalinDeath.com</A>

      BY: Lawrence T. Smith

      <A HREF="http://www.fightforkids.org/">Fight For Kids</A>

      <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/miracle.htm">Miracle At a Wisconsin High School</A>

      <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/Crusade.htm">Parents' Crusade Over Children's Tragic</A>

      <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/Crusade.htm"> Deaths From Psychiatric Drugs</A>

      <A HREF="http://ritalindeath.com/In_Memory_Of.htm">In Memory Of All Children</A>

      <A HREF="http://www.stop-drugging-kids.com/">Parents for Label & Drug Free Education</A>

      <A HREF="http://ritalindeath.com/SimpleTruths.htm">A Few Simple Truths About ADHD and Stimulant Drugs</A>

      <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/">Home</A> <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/content.htm">Site Index</A> <A HREF="http://www.petitiononline.com/forkids/petition.html">Please Sign Petition</A> <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/board/?topic=topic1">Message Board</A> <A HREF="mailto:info@...">Contact Us</A>
      I'm here today, to warn parents of the risks involved in giving children
      stimulant medications used to treat ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity
      disorder). These behaviors are listed in the <A HREF="http://ritalindeath.com/Page/Contro2.htm">DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for
      ADHD</A>.

      Our fourteen-Year-old Son Matthew died on March 21, 2000. The cause was
      determined to be from the long- term (age 7-14) use of Methylphenidate a
      medication commonly known as Ritalin.

      The Certificate of Death under due to, (or because of) reads. Death caused
      from Long Term Use of Methylphenidate, (Ritalin). According to Dr. Ljuba
      Dragovic, The chief pathologist in Oakland County Michigan, upon autopsy,
      Matthew's heart showed clear signs of small vessel damage, the type caused by
      stimulant drugs like amphetamines.

      The medical examiners told me that a full-grown man's heart weighs about 350
      grams and that Matthew's heart weight was about 402 grams.

      Matthew did not have a preexisting heart disease or defect that we knew of.
      We, his parents never ignored his medical needs. The medical examiner said
      this type of heart damage is not easy to detect with the standard test
      necessary for prescription refills.

      While visiting the doctor with the schools diagnosis and the recommendation
      for Ritalin, he seemed very frustrated and asked us to let the school know, I
      am not a pharmacy. This leads me to believe that we were not the first
      parents sent to this doctor, with the schools diagnosis and recommendation
      for Ritalin.

      No one ever informed us of other crucial tests (echocardiogram) that we could
      have had done that would have discovered the enlargement of the heart muscle,
      caused from scare tissue which these types of drugs cause. The standard test
      performed consists of blood work, listening to the heart, questions about
      school behaviors, sleeping and eating habits.

      It all started for Matthew in the first grade the school social worker in
      Berkley, Michigan kept calling us in for meetings. One particular morning
      before an IEP meeting, the school social worker Monica Fuchs, my wife and I,
      were waiting on the others to arrive.

      Monica made us feel very threatened when she said that if we wouldn't
      consider getting Matt on Ritalin for their diagnosis of Attention Deficit
      Hyperactivity Disorder, that social services (child protective services)
      could charge us for neglecting his educational and emotional needs. My wife
      and I were scared of the possibility of losing our children, if we did not
      comply.

      I believe that some school employees like having children medicated because,
      it makes frustrated students that are having a difficult time learning and
      understanding, easier to manage, regardless of the physical and psychological
      risks this practice poses to children.

      Not all families can afford hundreds of dollars for a drug free, private
      evaluation, so they will not be cornered into medicating their child.

      I am hoping that Republicans and Democrats will work together and fight this
      horrific war against the future of America, our children.

      Medical diagnosis should remain outside the realm of education and stay
      there. Pressure to seek specific medical treatment is not the job of the
      school system.

      We did not want Matthew on any medications, even though the school social
      worker or the doctor never informed us about the dangers of Ritalin and other
      stimulant medications used for ADD and ADHD. We just didn't feel good about
      putting our son on drugs and we made it very clear to school officials.

      Informed Consent", which states in part A person's agreement to allow
      something to happen (such as surgery) that is based on a full disclosure of
      the facts needed to make the decision intelligently; i.e. knowledge of risks
      involved, alternatives etc" and "the probable risks against the probable
      benefits"

      The violation of parent's rights is when they are not told of the
      unscientific nature of so-called disorders such as ADHD or the risks of the
      treatments involving (drugs) and they certainly are not told of alternatives
      to their child's behavior such as undiagnosed allergies or food
      sensitivities, which could manifest with the symptoms of what psychiatry
      calls ADHD.

      If we weren't pressure by the school system, Matt would still be alive today.
      I cannot go back and change things for us at this point. However, I hope to
      God my story and information will reach the hearts and minds, of many
      families, so they can make an educated decision with more than a little
      selective information, if any, paid for by psychology and drug companies.

      I have created this website in hopes that parents will learn the health risks
      involved in using psychotropic medications on growing children.
      I hope you will be spared all the suffering and heartbreak this whole ADHD
      issue has caused our family and many others.

      Please do not be intimidated by family, school staff, doctors, or anyone into
      medicating your child for ADHD or ADD. These mental illnesses are
      scientifically unfounded with no scientific validity what so ever. The
      dopamine theory is nothing more than wishful thinking on the part of
      psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry.

      I truly believe this must have been my son's purpose, to save the health and
      lives of many others.

      How old will people live after taking these types of drugs as a child? Every
      time I hear about a child or young adult that has died from heart failure, I
      always wonder if they were ever on a psychotropic medication used for ADHD or
      depression.

      If I would of known about all the children that have died from these
      psychiatric medications, I would have never given Matt the first pill.

      Did you know that children that are diagnosed as having ADHD or ADD and take
      medication, the school labels them as learning disabled, and the schools
      receives additional state and federal funding per-child, per-semester.

      I wonder if that is one of the reasons why school administrators are so
      adamant about medication, and the other would be to control their behavior,
      in their drug free school zone.

      One of the hardest things for me to deal with is the fact that, Matthew never
      wanted his medication.

      How many more 11-year-old Stephanie Hall's and 14-year-old Matthew Smith's
      will have to die before someone puts a stop to the biggest health care fraud
      ever? How many times will school psychology and drug companies get away with
      this?

      In 1998 at the National Institutes of Health Consensus Conference on ADHD The
      NIH issued the following statement regarding ADHD:

      "We do not have an independent, valid test for ADHD, and there is no data to
      indicate that ADHD is due to a brain malfunction"

      Children, do not need to be made into little robots with medication. I feel
      that good parenting, structure, diets, and teaching methods can make all the
      difference in the world. Different children develop in different ways; you
      cannot put children all into one box.

      Did you know that the ADHD diagnosis checklist of behaviors is almost the
      same as the list of behaviors for gifted children. <A HREF="http://www.nfgcc.org/">www.nfgcc.org </A>

      Did you know that doctor's use to give amphetamines out for diet medication?
      They stopped because of the dangerous and sometimes fatal heart related side
      effects.

      Now drug companies have a new market, with new names for the drugs and have
      went from adult weight medication to children's ADHD.

      The DEA has classified Ritalin as a schedule two drug, comparable to Cocaine.
      Ritalin is also one of the top ten abused prescription drugs on the streets
      today.

      From the research that I have done on amphetamines, when they are used, all
      the veins and arteries constrict and get very small which makes it hard for
      the heart to pump blood throughout the body. The extra force it takes to
      circulate blood causes damage to the heart.

      There are many other drugs that are given to children for ADHD with different
      names; Adderall, Concreta, Metadate, Ritalin, the list goes on and on, most
      if not all are stimulant drugs with Amphetamine-Speed.

      We are coming to a point in our history were children have been taking these
      drugs for some time. Now the information is starting to come out. This is a
      very sad why for us to find out the long-term side effects, by using our
      children as guinea pigs.

      Please feel free to share your comments with others on the <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/board/?topic=topic1">discussion board</A>.

      If you are being harassed to medicate your child for a ADHD?

      Tell Them Where To Go!

      <A HREF="http://www.ritalindeath.com/">RitalinDeath.com</A>

      <A HREF="http://www.adhdfraud.com/">Dr. Fred Baughman: Articles & essays</A>

      <A HREF="http://adhdparentssupportgroup.homestead.com/50conditionsmimicingADHD.html">50 conditions Mimicking ADHD</A>