Re: KK7CN digis?

  • n7zef
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2005
      --- In RM-APRS@yahoogroups.com, Earl Needham <needhame1@p...> wrote:

      > I may have been asleep at the wheel, but what's happened
      to all
      > the KK7CN digis? http://www.angelfire.com/wy/kk7cn/ has several
      listed,
      > but I don't think any have been active in quite a while.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Earl

      (snip)
      The Elk Mountain digi (WA7LFT-5) digi is back up and running. Had
      some power supply problems. I can understand the situation involving
      site use for digi's. If it wasn't for the company that has let up set
      up a few of our digi's in his sites, there would be a few less where
      they were needed.
      It seems so interesting that there are so many abandoned shacks, but
      when you inquire about them, the answers are amazing. Some no one
      knows who owns them, some want high rents to make up for loss funds
      or increased payments to goverment agencys. Still others think we
      will interfere with what operations they have, or they won't let us
      climb their towers because of libality issues.
      Our group is planning to install a digi on Sherman Hill area to
      cover the area to the east. And we are looking for a site in the
      Baggs area to cover that area and hopefull link to Steamboat Springs.
      Travel to install/ maintanence is diffcult, especially with gas
      prices like they are.
      We have found a "selling" point in one of our sites is to show the
      site owner that we send out telemetry , how to find it on the
      Internet, and in turn they can tell if a problem (lack of power,
      shack temps) has happened so they can take needed action. Offers of
      site cleanup helps.
      Also, check with BLM on sites. They will work with non-profit groups
      for a small yearly fee.
      73
      Mike