Fw: Grassroots E-Alert: For Immediate Release

  • Nasir Muhammad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2008

      Nasir Muhammad
      1444 E. Gun Hill RD #17
      Bronx NY 10469
      T.917-667-4282 F.1-321-260-6121
      Nasir Muhammad Consulting.com

      --- On Wed, 6/25/08, Alex J Carabelli <alex@...> wrote:
      From: Alex J Carabelli <alex@...>
      Subject: Grassroots E-Alert: For Immediate Release
      To: caitlin@..., darren@..., sarika@...
      Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 12:55 PM

      We thought this release might be of interest. Please forward on to anyone
      who may interested in these upcoming trainings

      Best,
      Alex

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      June 25, 2008

      New Community Efforts Emerge in the Bronx & Queens to Recruit First-Time
      Candidates for Upcoming Elections

      last-minute trainings

      New York, NY - Spurred by heightened political interest in the 2008
      Presidential Election, new community initiatives have taken root in the
      Bronx and Queens to help recruit community leaders to fill more than 2,000
      vacant seats in the boroughs' Democratic County Committees.  Similar
      efforts
      were announced in Brooklyn earlier this year (see the article in the NY Post
      <http://www.gograssroots.org/press/post6-23-08.php>  this week);
      together,
      these efforts hope to help more than 100 community residents break into
      politics for the first time.

      "The controversy over super delegates during this year's Presidential
      Primary Elections opened a lot of people's eyes regarding the important
      role
      of political party representatives in deciding our elected officials,"
      said
      Greg Faulkner, a Bronx resident who serves as Chair of Community Board 7,
      and recently committed to recruiting new candidates. "As an active member
      of
      my community, I feel like I have a moral responsibility to make sure we are
      being adequately represented."

      This year, there are more than 6,000 County Committee seats up for election
      in the Bronx and Queens Democratic Party; yet many will remain vacant due to
      a shortage of candidates.  County Committee members have few formal
      responsibilities - they vote to elect the party's Chairperson and Executive
      Committee, select candidates to fill vacancies in the State Senate and
      Assembly, and are critical to local get-out-the-vote efforts.  For the
      community leaders who are involved in current recruitment efforts, the goal
      is simple - ensuring that community residents have their voices heard.

      "We have a unique opportunity to help redefine the role and importance of
      the County Committee," said Miguel Santana, who was first elected to the
      County Committee in 2006 and is helping recruit new candidates to run this
      year. "As a County Committee member in my district, I've organized
      town-hall
      meetings and worked to raise awareness about issues that matter to local
      residents; it's a small contribution to the community I love, but the
      response from other residents has been great."

      This year's election cycle is currently underway and the deadline for
      candidates to file petitions for County Committee seats is July 10th.  In
      response to growing demand, Grassroots Initiative (see the City Hall News
      article <http://www.gograssroots.org/press/cityhall6-13-08.php>  from
      last
      week) and the Bronx-based Community Empowerment Network have organized two
      last-minute trainings in the Bronx and Queens to help candidates with the
      technical process of running for office.

      Bronx Training
      Friday, June 27th, 6:30 pm
      Bronx Public Library, 310 East Kingsbridge Road

      Queens Training
      Monday, June 30th, 6:30 pm
      Queens Public Library, 54-22 Skillman Avenue, Woodside

      Seating at the trainings is limited; to guarantee a space, interested
      persons should register by calling Grassroots Initiative at (212) 400-0531
      or by sending an email to info@....

      ###

      About Grassroots Initiative

      Grassroots Initiative is the nation's first non-profit election consulting
      firm. Since 2005, the organization has served as the "go-to" point
      for
      individuals interested in running for elected office in New York City.
      Grassroots Initiative's programs and services work to ensure that the door
      to public service is open to the best and brightest community leaders and
      that, once elected, these officials have the tools they need to successfully
      serve their constituents.  To learn more, visit www.gograssroots.org