Fw: Grassroots E-alert: Call for Candidates in the Bronx, Brooklyn & Queens

  • Nasir Muhammad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2008

      Nasir Muhammad
      1444 E. Gun Hill RD #17
      Bronx NY 10469
      T.917-667-4282 F.1-321-260-6121
      Nasir Muhammad Consulting.com

      --- On Thu, 6/5/08, Grassroots Initiative <info@...> wrote:
      From: Grassroots Initiative <info@...>
      Subject: Grassroots E-alert: Call for Candidates in the Bronx, Brooklyn & Queens
      To: info@...
      Date: Thursday, June 5, 2008, 9:38 AM

      Dear Friends,

      Please accept my apologies for any duplicate emails.

      As you may know, Tuesday was an important day in the world of politics.  Most notably, it was the conclusion of the primary election season for President of the United States .  It was also Election Day here in New York as residents in Queens voted to select a new City Council member.  Lastly – outside of the public spotlight – Tuesday marked the official start of the petitioning period for the 2008 primary elections.

      We are writing with a very special request – we need your help to identify candidates for neighborhood level elected offices in the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn . This year, there are more than more than 12,000 seats up for election within the Democratic Party in the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn (Republican seats and the remaining Democratic seats will be up next year).  Without a strong recruitment effort in the next five weeks, more than half of these County Committee seats will remain vacant. Running for these positions is easy – it requires gathering about 20 signatures.  And the formal responsibilities are minor – often attending only one meeting – during the two-year term of office. However, County Committee often provides a convenient stepping stone for higher office and offers an excellent way to build a network of block captains capable of turning out the vote on Election Day.

      I'm asking you to forward this email to three people that you know in the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn who may be interested. In particular, we are strongly encouraging any individuals who are contemplating running for City Council in 2009 to consider running for a County Committee seat now. Our team at Grassroots Initiative will provide all the training and assistance you need to master the petitioning process so your race for Council will be smoother and more professional.

      If you, or anyone you know, would like to run for County Committee or another office, please contact our office immediately at 212.400.0531 or send an email with your name, address and contact info to info@... and we will be happy to get you started.  This is an excellent opportunity for community leaders and we strongly encourage you to reach out to us with any questions.

      Thanks for your help and support.

      Alex J. Carabelli ~ Deputy Director, Grassroots Initiative

      www.gograssroots.org