Re: 19th CD

  • Joe Liberty
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14 3:56 AM
      The Constitution Party of New York endorsed Kieran Lalor for Congress in the 19th http://www.kml2008.com/ .  I have met him twice and think he makes an impressive candidate.  He has been featured a lot recently in national media including Newsweek

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14 9:09 AM
        Per Carl's request I am weighing in on this issue and would offer the following points for your consideration.  Who you should support in this race depends upon where you are on the right end of the political spectrum.  Keiran Lalor is a City of Peekskill Republican District Leader who supported my bid for Peekskill Mayor last year, and for which I am most appreciative.  I like him personally, would also support him in a local race, and agree with him on a number of issues.  There are also a number of issues where I don't.  He supports the McCain-Bush platform totally regarding the Iraq war and the Patriot Act, and is a supporter of "traditional family values" (ie a Federal Amendment to outlaw same sex marriage and a pure pro life position). For those of us on the more libertarian end of the spectrum most of those positions would be problematic, if not deal breakers.  George Oros has represented Peekskill and neighboring communities in the Westchester County Legislature for 13 years.  I also worked closely and productively with him during my 8 years on the City Council.  He is a more mainstream conservative with some libertarian leanings.  He has reached out to Log Cabin Republicans and is moderately prolife (which means he's not a purist on the issue but he also opposes the death penalty).  He is also more likely IMHO to win the race based upon his prior experience and name recognition.  Supposedly a few other folks are going to jump in as well and I have no idea where they stand.  I intend to support Oros at this point in time but as a group we may want to wait and see how things develop,  who all is running, and where they stand before we make a final decision.

        WKS

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15 12:37 PM
          I met George at WCWRC. He's very nice, but I'm
          unfamiliar with his specific voting record. I heard
          Greg Ball at my monthly meeting at Hyatt, and he
          really comes on like gangbusters (in a good way) and
          says all the right things. He's also very attractive,
          young and energetic. This audience of big donors was
          very impressed. Would like more specifics on both.
          Please forgive my geographical ignorance. Are they in
          the same CD?
          Norma

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Joe Liberty
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16 7:28 AM
            I do not know anything about Oros.  The following comes from my friend Kieran.  (My paraphrase of his words)  I have invited Kieran to join RLCNY-Members  and he indicated that he would.

            Oros was endorsed by the far left Sierra Club.  Oros is no fiscal conservative.  In fact, he took a leave of absence from his private sector job to run but is still collecting his bloated government check.
            He got his wife a job at the state run Westchester children’s hospital.  She was collecting $200,000 a year of taxpayer dollars as some sort of  hospital administrator.  After an audit she was laid off because she was making such an outrageous salary.  In a softening economy an overpaid professional politician is going to be quite unpopular with the regular folks here in the Hudson Valley who are working hard to put food on the table and pay the mortgage.
            Finally, Oros only kept his legislative seat in November by about 300 votes and would have lost but his opponent accidentally sent out a
            robo-dial message at 2 AM and annoyed thousands of people.  As a result of the mistake the opponent was portrayed as a buffoon in the press.  Oros is a decidedly uninspiring figure and could never beat John Hall

            --- Joe Liberty <joe_liberty@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            > The Constitution Party of New York endorsed Kieran
            > Lalor for Congress in the 19th
            > http://www.kml2008. com/ . I have met him twice and
            > think he makes an impressive candidate. He has been
            > featured a lot recently in national
            media including
            > Newsweek.

            is close to some of our
            > members; he is
            > Westchester' s County legislator in District 1. . I
            > would like to see Bill or Jeff encourage George to
            > join the HV e-list too....there are well over 100
            > libertarians and aligned
            > conservatives who live in every corner of the 19th
            > CD, and if they could be activated (I'm ready), they
            > could be a valuable asset in the drive to reclaim
            > this district. We are still
            > building our prospect list for the HV, and if we had
            > some cooperation from our LP friends, I believe that
            > this list would top out between 400-500 at this
            > time.
            >
            > Joe Eldredge, a member of the NY Constitution
            > Party's Executive Committe, is a member of both
            > e-lists. His group, I believe, endorsed George's
            > opponent in the 19th CD
            > race at one time, but I have heard nothing recently.
            > Ideally, Joe can give us
            some insights on this race
            > too. This fellow is young -- under 30 -- with no
            > political experience,
            > but he is attractive -- a ex-Marine I believe.
            >

            > I think that George and Greg are on opposite sides
            > in a GOP power struggle in Putnam and the A.D.
            > Bill/Jeff... can you enlighten us on this subject?
            > Any idea if Greg will
            > have Conservative and Independence Party support in
            > his next race, or can Greg expect a primary
            > opponent?
            > .

            .

          • William K. Schmidt

              .

              --
              WKS
            • Joe Liberty
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 17 4:11 AM
                Bill, do you know him?  If so, where is Kieran wrong in his assessment?

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 17 8:11 AM
                  Thanks Joe, I will be happy to oblige your request.

                  I worked with Oros for 8 years when I was on the Peekskill City Council so I know of all these things first hand and they are easily rebutted.  Here's whats wrong with this assessment (which I am not so sure is originally Kieran's) because anyone uttering some of these allegations in a campaign is going to look foolish and silly:

                  Oros was endorsed by the Sierra Club because of his opposition to liberal Republican Putnam County Exec Bob Bondi and liberal Republican Yorktown Supervisor Linda Cooper's respective plans to take their "treated" sewage and ship it via underground trunk lines 15+ miles across protected watershed and dump it in the Hudson river in Peekskill (an environmental atrocity perpetrated by 2 irresponsible governments).  All of us in Peekskill and Cortlandt fought this outrage including left environmentalists and right wing Republicans. What's "liberal" about telling Putnam and Yorktown to solve their own sewage problems (like we did years ago)?  George did take leave from his law firm to campaign for Congress.    He is a Westchester County Legislator whose "bloated" salary as you put it, is about $45,000 (and btw he voted against every one of those "bloated" legislative pay increase the Dem majority steamrolled through along with most of their other tax and spending increases). By your logic then John McCain should give up his "bloated" Senate pay in order to run for President.   George's wife Marianne was a hospital administrator at the county medical center several years ago and she made a salary commensurate with that position which was about $120,000.  She was fired when the Dems took control of county government so they could fill these positions with their own favored appointee's, but no one ever suggested that she wasn't competent or didn't do her job.

                  I have not made an endorsement yet in this race though I did say I was leaning towards George.  And I also have great respect for Kieran as I said before and particularly support his firm stance on illegal immigration and educational choice. With respect however to what we all do in the 19th CD primary race (if there is one)  I think we should stick to respectfully debating the 15-20% of the issues that seperate us as libertarian and/or conservative Republicans rather than borrowing smear allegations the Dems will use in a general election, particularly those that are totally baseless and demeaning and have no traction whatsoever.

                  WKS