Re: [RLCNY-HV] Fwd: Statement from Assemblyman Greg Ball (R. Carmel) ~ GOVERNOR SPITZER RESIGNS

  • Carl Svensson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
      Re: Greg Ball -- Endorsement or Commendation (Norma Segal)

      It would be really nice if we established some objective criteria for our endorsements....Any ideas anyone?

      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      I have been in touch with Greg, and have his personal e-mail address.  Greg sits on the Assembly Election Law Committee (one of four Republicans), and was the first
      Assemblyman that I contacted who agreed to support A525 on the floor and in committee.  He also agreed to co-sponsor this legislation, but interestingly enough, the
      sponsor must approve all co-sponsors.  (Bill Mangeri who is a member of the HV group is aligned with Greg, and handled the initial introduction to him).  Once we
      re-activate the HV group, I would love to get Greg to join our e-list...he would be a most valuable asset.

      Greg is politically ambitious, and at one time was considering running for Congress in the 19th CD.  He apparently backed down when the 'big money guy'
      jumped in, and I have heard nothing since. You may be aware that he defeated the incumbent Republican Assemblyman in a primary about four years ago, and  there
      are still hard-feelings in some quarters. He is young by the way....only about 30 years old.

      As many of you know, George Oros (sp) has announced for the 19th CD race, and I assume that he is the frontrunner.  George is close to some of our members; he is
      Westchester's County legislator in District 1. . I would like to see Bill or Jeff encourage George to join the HV e-list too....there are well over 100 libertarians and aligned
      conservatives who live in every corner of the 19th CD, and if they could be activated (I'm ready), they could be a valuable asset in the drive to reclaim this district. We are still
      building our prospect list for the HV, and if we had some cooperation from our LP friends, I believe that this list would top out between 400-500 at this time.

      Joe Eldredge, a member of the NY Constitution Party's Executive Committe, is a member of both e-lists.  His group, I believe, endorsed George's opponent in the 19th CD
      race at one time, but I have heard nothing recently.  Ideally, Joe can give us some insights on this race too.  This fellow is young -- under 30 -- with no political experience,
      but he is attractive -- a ex-Marine I believe.

      I think that George and Greg are on opposite sides in a GOP power struggle in Putnam and the A.D. Bill/Jeff...can you enlighten us on this subject?  Any idea if Greg will
      have Conservative and Independence Party support in his next race, or can Greg expect a primary opponent?

      An aside:  Robert Prol (Haverstraw/Rockland County -19th CD) has joined the RLC, and is working with us in activating an effective Hudson Valley organization.  He is
      working with me on a database of libertarians and affiliated allies in the HV who we hope we can attract.  I also recruited him as a moderator of our HV e-list,

      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Re:NYC.  After we complete the HV data base, we are moving to get NYC and LI into mix.  At that point, we can invite lots of folks into the NYC list, and a LI list which
      I established too.

      I have had some preliminary talks with Robert Hornack, and we plan to meet shortly.  Robert now works for the Republican Minority leader of the Assembly, and is
      in charge of Tedisco's NYC offfice. He  also serves on the Republican Assembly Committee which is charged with recruiting Republican candidates.  In addition, I
      am guessing that he can help us identify Republican Committee vacancies throughout the city, which could be very valuable if we could get our act together.

      Comments?

      Carl

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2008
        We could use a decision matrix, or project selection matrix. We establish the criteria for selection, then assign numerical value ranges for each criteria. Once the grid is built, we just look at each candidate and provide a total rating. We could then establish thresholds that gets an endorsement, and if we have two candidates running against each other, we select the one with the highest aggregate score.

        Here's an example of a project selection matrix. If we replace the headers with the criteria (fiscal responsibility, civil liberties, etc.), then come up with a scale from bad to great, we have a simple one. Replace project with candidate names. We can also get beyond ordinal ratings among candidates by applying rankings to each of the criteria (if civil liberties are twice as important as fiscal, we multiply the value of cl by 2).

        I'm away all weekend, so can't take this much further until Monday. Hope this helps.

        pilot-matrix.jpg

      • Joe Liberty
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2008
          Yes.