Regrouping/ Bill's campaign

  • Carl Svensson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2007
      Hello Everyone,

      We must regroup on the Regional and State-levels ASAP,
      but our top priority, in my opinion, is to garner the LP line
      for Bill Schmidt in his campaign for Mayor of Peekskill,
      and this must be done this week.

      I believe that you all know that Bill is the candidate of the
      Republican, Independence, and Conservative Parties, and
      the endorsed candidate of the LPNY.  This is a first in
      American politics, but to have the impact that we would
      like, we must petition to get Bill the Libertarian line.  I
      should add that Bill has an excellent chance of winning,
      and should that be the case, state and national publicity
      would be generated that could aid in the election of more
      libertarians. Without a doubt, Hudson Valley libertarians
      would know that we can win here with a coalition of
      Republicans, Libertarians, and others, and hopefully, they
      will engage once more in the political process.

      This is not as easy as it would appear because individuals
      who have carried petitions for the other parties that are supporting Bill can not collect signatures on the independent nominating petitions (read LPNY), and this
      includes Bill himself.  Another difficulty we have found is
      that the "dog days of summer" have led to a scarcity of
      voters in Peekskill.  For instance, my experience last week
      was that fewer than 25% of enrolled voters were at home
      when we called upon them, and that "mainstreet" and the
      local shopping center were just about devoid of shoppers.

      We need about 200 additional signatures to guarantee Bill
      getting the line.  This certainly sounds easy, but it isn't.
      Our best chance, in my opinion, would be to recruit 10
      individuals to collect 20 signatures each.  I know that many
      of you will say that I can get 100-200 signatures by myself,
      but that is just not the case at this time.  I know that I can
      collect my allotment, and more, but unless 9 or more volunteers step
      up to the plate, we may blow this tremendous opportunity.
      If you are reading this, you are one of the folks that we need
      to make this happen.

      Please RSVP via the list where you received this (only once
      if you receive more than one copy).  Unless you hear otherwise, the time and place to meet with by the Peekskill
      Coffeehouse at 900AM on Saturday. More complete details will follow when you RSVP.  Drinks are on me.

      Comments?

      Yours in Liberty,

      Carl