Re: Project Vote Smart- Term Limits

  • Carl Svensson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
      Hi Annie,

      First, I do believe that I am represented by one of the finest state
      legislators in New York State, and I also know that we will not always agree
      on all issues.

      Second, because I know that you are one of the finest of our legislators, I
      was very disappointed that you had not filled out the Project Vote Smart
      questionaire
      this cycle, especially after you had submitted one the prior cycle. I
      appreciate you clarifying that point here.

      Third, I am happy to report that we are in agreement on term limits, as well
      as your support for A575 which reduces signature requirements by 1/2 on all
      designating
      and nominating petitions. I will circulate this information, and I have
      confidence that it will help you during the next election cycle whether you
      seek re-election or
      opt to pursue higher office.

      Once again I want to thank you for your service.

      Carl Svensson, Co-Chair
      NY Republican Liberty Caucus
      181 Stony Ford Road
      Town of Hamptonburgh
      Middletown, New York 10941

      Home Phone: 845-294-7731
      Cell Phone: 914-850-0452

      P.S. I will make sure that you, as well as the other state legislators and
      their challengers, will receive the PVS questionaire in a timely manner next
      cycle. And yes,
      please call me Carl.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
        --- In RLCNY-HV@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Svensson" <csvensson@...> wrote
        in part:

        > Hi Annie,
        >
        > First, I do believe that I am represented by one of the finest state
        > legislators in New York State,....

        As you can see, this was a note to my Assemblywoman, Annie Rabbit,
        thanking her for "her service". The reason I forwarded this to the
        group -- and to other groups too -- is to give everyone evidence that
        it is possible to get YOUR representative to respond to your requests
        for information. Fortunately, Annie is better than most NYS
        legislators in getting back to her constituents AND, Annie "knows" me
        at this point too.

        This particular note was one of "discovery", and has nothing to do
        with "lobbying". We know now that she has agreed with us "publicly" --
        hey, we have a copy of an e-mail from her office -- and we can retain
        this information for further action when it becomes necessary.

        The fact is that if Annie had submitted the Project Vote Smart
        questionaire, we would have known whether or not she supported term
        limits or not. We would NOT have know that she supported A575 which
        reduces signature requirements on designating and nominating
        petitions, and this information, and much more, has to be "discovered"
        in a comprehensive manner, by many individuals working in concert with
        one another, and with their individual representatives.

        Now I am sure that my LPNY "friends" would like to see the number of
        signatures that are required to get on the ballot be "halved", but the
        truth is that is the case for most individuals engaged in the
        political process too.

        I have established a comprehensive "program" that will allow us to
        "discover" where are reps stand on some key issues that we can all
        support, and I am requesting that everyone -- including my LPNY
        friends -- get their "friends" -- <only the Hudson Valley ones today>
        to join this group by sending a blank e-mail to:
        RLCNY-HV-subscribe@yahoogroups.com .

        "Our" responsibility here is only for the 19 ADs and 9 SDs based in
        the Hudson Valley; "others" will be working diligently in other
        Regions of the State shortly IF we lead the way.

        I do know that this "type" of political action is not for everyone,
        but it is one of the easiest. ALSO, in case you have not done so,
        please "bookmark" the Project Vote Smart website for future reference,
        and find out today where your representatives stands compared with
        some others - check out, for instance, Assemblyman Greg Ball and
        Assemblyman Fred Thiele Jr. (http://www.votesmart.org/)

        Oh yes....if you find that your Assemblyman or State Senator did fill
        out the PVS questionaire, invest 5 minutes commending him for that
        action via e-mail; it will be your "initial" introduction to him, and
        it will be a very positive one too.

        DO NOT use the first line of my note to Annie. Annie is one of the
        best; yours may not be, and that "endorsement" could come back to hurt
        us later on.

        Carl