Fwd: Bronx County GOP Leader in the news again

  • Nasir Muhammad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2008
      From: michael kleinbub <mkleinbub@...>
      To: "benobserver@..." <benobserver@...>, Bret Collazzi
      "news12bx@..." <news12bx@...>, "news-tips@..."
      <news-tips@...>, "nydems@..." <nydems@...>,
      "political@..." <political@...>, "political_itch@..."
      <political_itch@...>, "wegbert@..."
      <wegbert@...>, "flombardi@..."
      <flombardi@...>
      Subject: Bronx County GOP Leader in the news again
      Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:07:56 -0500

      There is yet another news article in yesterday's 1/29/07 Village Voice newspaper on Jay Savino and Fred Brown.
      http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0805,barrett,78995,6.html
      Fred Brown, a Bronx delegate for Giuliani and former school-board member, was convicted of using the school district's printing press to produce a 100-page political journal in the '80s. Asked by the Voice about the 13 liens and judgments against him totaling more than $100,430—including three from the IRS for $32,986—Brown said he didn't know what they were about, adding that he was scheduled "to meet with the IRS in February." Brown conceded that he lives at 355 South End Avenue in Battery Park City, even though he is running as a delegate from the address he's registered at in the Bronx. "My [previous] apartment at 375 South End was destroyed on 9/11," he explained.
      Brown was awarded substantial compensation by the politically wired New York State Crime Victims Board for injuries he claimed to have sustained fleeing his apartment on 9/11. A source close to the board told the iVoice that Brown was compensated for mental trauma. Without denying that he'd received counseling for trauma, the 72-year-old Brown insisted that he also suffered physical injury, saying that he "ran beyond my endurance" and that his "leg muscle locked." He said he was "dodging body parts" and that a woman "running with me died"—precisely what the source says he cited to explain his trauma. "I'm still on blood-pressure medication," he added. "I don't remember how much I was paid." The New York State Crime Victims Board—which was then chaired by Joan Cusack, the longtime companion of Staten Island Borough President Jim Molinaro—said it couldn't release the particulars of any individual case.
      Brown is one of several Bronx delegates of questionable pedigree. Another is county chair Jay Savino, whose father was convicted by Giuliani when he was a prosecutor. Last year, the city's Department of Investigation launched a probe of Savino and other Bronx GOP players, even raiding the Board of Elections, where Savino had been a commissioner. One of the charges still under investigation involves patronage practices at the board, where Savino engineered a job for his college fraternity brother (and sometime Sopranos mobster) Anthony Ribustello, a Giuliani alternate.

      Nasir Muhammad
      1444 E. Gun Hill RD #17
      Bronx NY 10469
      T.917-667-4282 F.1-321-260-6121