Fwd: An Email Update from Congressman Crowley

  • Nasir Muhammad
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2007
      Write2JoeCrowley <write2joecrowley@...> wrote:
      Subject: An Email Update from Congressman Crowley
      Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:35:27 -0500
      From: "Write2JoeCrowley" <write2joecrowley@...>
      To: <nasirmuhammadconsulting@...>

      Knowing of your concern about the situation in Darfur, I wanted to update you on what Congress is doing to end this ongoing tragedy.  On December 18, 2007, the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed one of the most important human rights measures it has dealt with all year – The Sudan Accountability and Divestment Act.

      The Sudan Accountability and Divestment Act authorizes state and local governments and universities to divest from companies doing business with the military, power production, oil-related, or mineral extraction industries that are working in partnership with the government of Sudan.  Further, it provides safe harbor to mutual funds and pension plans choosing to divest their assets in such companies.  In addition, it prohibits the U.S. government from entering into new federal contracts with these offending companies.  No longer will Americans have to worry that their tax dollars are going to companies that support the inhumane regime in Khartoum.

      This legislation will be sent to the President of the United States as one piece of a multi-faceted effort to address the crisis in Darfur.  You and I agree that to resolve the situation in Darfur, the United Nations/African Union hybrid peacekeeping force must be quickly and fully implemented.  Additionally, the international community must maintain its support for a single, unified peacekeeping process that includes a sustained and secure role for the courageous humanitarian workers.

      The U.S. Congress will not stand by idly and allow the atrocities to continue.  Rest assured, I will continue to support efforts to establish peace and non-violence in Darfur.  If you would like to stay informed of my work in Congress, please visit my website at http://crowley.house.gov, where you can sign up for my e-newsletter.

      Nasir Muhammad
      1444 E. Gun Hill RD #17
      Bronx NY 10469
      T.917-667-4282 F.1-321-260-6121