Re: RLCCA-South Meeting Report

  • Daniel Rego
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2004
      At 12:00 AM 9/17/2004, westmiller@... wrote:

      > The RLCCA-South Region had a small but productive meeting in
      >Burbank Thursday. At the invitation of Stu Adler, we met with Greg
      >Rose and John Pugliese to discuss development strategy and actually
      >managed to wade through all 16 state ballot propositions to arrive at
      >recommendations (see notes below):
      >
      >1A - Yes (Competing Prop 65 was more strongly favored)
      >59 - YES
      >60 - No Position (same on the competing Prop 62)
      >60A - YES
      >61 - NO
      >62 - No Position (uncertain strategic consequences)
      >63 - NO
      >64 - Yes (with minor qualms)
      >65 - YES (Preferred over competing Prop 1A)
      >66 - Yes
      >67 - NO
      >68 - No Position (Slight inclination for Yes over Prop 70)
      >69 - NO
      >70 - NO (less desirable than Prop 68)
      >71 - NO
      >72 - NO

      Here's my $0.02

      I'll deal with the dueling measures first

      Props 1A and 65 -- $ to local governments.
      Restrictions on how the legislature shifts money like they've been doing is
      needed, but the problem is that the entire structure of government
      financing is too centralized and need a complete over hall. These measures
      are like putting a band-aid on a severed limb...I'm vaguely indifferent
      over these two...

      60 and 62
      The question is, do we want a LA style system? And which do we
      prefer? Personally, I favor 60 and don't favor 62.

      68 and 70
      Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of all these gaming initiatives
      coming out left and right virtually every election. As for 70 (which the
      indians back), I pretty much have no problem with them doing whatever the
      smeg they want on their own tribal land. As for 68, I'm sceptical of any
      initiative that is backed by both Gimpy and Ah-nold.

      and now for the rest...

      59
      Not perfect, and a lot of this is already on the books, but by making it a
      constitutional amendment, keeps it out of the grimy hands of the legislature.

      60A
      Now if we could only make 'em sell of the surplus property ;)

      61
      Bond measure. 'nuff said.

      63
      Tax measure. 'nuff said.

      64
      Yes. Businesses already have enough to deal with without dealing with
      lawsuits by tort-man clones...

      66
      Haven't read the details yet, so no comment.

      67
      Tax measure. 'nuff said.

      69
      Don't car for innocent people having DNA taken and cataloged

      71
      Bond measure. 'nuff said.

      71
      No. State health care is institutional malpractice.

      "Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
      -- P. Steele

      Daniel B. Rego

      DanielRego@...
      Http://www.Daniel.Rego.com