Sacramento's Dirty Little Secret

  • Stu Adler
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2004
      Attached, is an OpEd by Assemblyman Ray Haynes. Assemblyman Haynes
      posts an email like this one every week. If you would like to
      subscribe to this Memorandum by e-mail, please send a request to:
      Assemblymember.Haynes@...

      Sacramento's Dirty Little Secret
      By Assemblyman Ray Haynes
      August 27, 2004

      This year complaints have abounded from my Democrat colleagues
      regarding
      offshoring. Offshoring is a derogatory word for "reducing business
      costs."
      Or, if you want to be blunt, it means figuring out a way around
      California's
      hostile business climate.
      Some California businesses have been hit with so many costs and
      regulations
      that it is cheaper for them to hire people in India to answer
      questions
      (paying the associated telephone costs) rather than hire people in
      California. Think about it--it is cheaper to hire someone in India,
      pay the
      telephone company for the long distance charges, train Indians to
      speak
      English, and operate the facility in India than it is to run the same
      facility in California.
      Nobody likes it when jobs disappear, whether overseas or
      permanently. It's
      a cliche', but I'm sure the buggy-whip manufacturers were unhappy
      when the
      automobile made their jobs obsolete. Typewriter makers similarly
      had to
      adapt or go out of business when word processors and computers took
      over.
      In fact, computers put a lot more people out of business than just
      typewriter manufacturers. The efficiencies of computers and the
      internet
      have made the jobs of many clerical workers and researchers
      irrelevant. How
      many more people would it take in your office to accomplish what you
      need to
      do if there were no computers?
      But nobody seriously proposes that we eliminate computers so we can
      create
      more jobs. Computers have made the jobs of many people irrelevant,
      but the
      efficiencies and new markets created by computers have created far
      more jobs
      than they've replaced. The outsourcing issue is actually quite
      similar.
      Over the last year, we have heard our leftist friends complain
      loudly about
      how this is costing Californians jobs, and how these rotten, "profit-
      driven"
      capitalists are exploiting the proletariat in California, destroying
      lives
      in their wake. The Legislature demanded a report on this practice,
      hired a
      researcher, and then introduced a bunch of laws to "stop" these evil
      exploiters from this dastardly practice.
      That report came out recently, but you didn't hear about it. Why?
      Because
      the report said that the practice of offshoring actually helps
      California's
      workers. (See report at http://www.ppic.org/main/publication.asp?
      i=545).
      In many cases, offshoring is necessary for businesses to stay in
      business in
      California, preserving jobs that would otherwise be lost. In other
      cases, it
      saves the business money, money that is reinvested in the business,
      creating
      other jobs.
      The study found that offshoring also saves California money. Money
      that can
      be spent for the poor, or for more cops, or for improved health
      care, or any
      other of a number of programs (not the least of which is reducing our
      horrendous debt). All in all, the report said offshoring is a good
      thing.
      But you don't know that. You want to know why? Because the leftist
      majority in the Legislature initially refused to release the
      report. It
      needed review, they said. They hired the researchers, but they
      don't like
      what the researchers said. They don't want the facts to stand in
      the way of
      their political agenda. Their solution - rewrite the report, even
      though it
      is clear that their agenda hurts the poor, the taxpayers, and the
      businesses
      in California.
      This is the type of thinking that ran up a $48 billion deficit when
      the
      leftists were in charge of everything. The unions don't want
      business to
      hire people in other countries, even if that helps Californians. It
      doesn't
      fit their desire to line their own pockets with the forced union
      dues on
      California workers. The majority in Sacramento owes their power to
      the
      union bosses. So--if the union bosses think there is a problem, the
      Democrats think there is a problem, regardless of the real facts.
      They don't mind the continuing onslaught of illegal aliens taking
      jobs and
      driving down the wages of the (primarily) manual labor workforce
      within the
      state, but offshoring jobs to keep businesses solvent should be
      illegal. It
      doesn't make any sense to me.
      This mindset led us down the path to destruction, which we narrowly
      avoided.
      We are still seriously injured. The leftists still do the bidding
      of their
      union boss masters, regardless of who it hurts. That is
      Sacramento's dirty
      little secret.
      ###
      Assemblyman Ray Haynes represents the 66th Assembly District, which
      includes
      portions of Western Riverside County and Northern San Diego County.
      For
      more information call our office at 909-699-1113.
      Redistribution or reproduction of this article with attribution is
      permitted
      and encouraged!
    • Stu Adler
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2004

        http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040828/news_1n28license.htm
        > 08-28-04
        > Challenging Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and risking voter backlash,
        the
        > Legislature last night narrowly approved a contentious measure
        that would
        > allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver licenses. Democrats in
        the
        > Assembly and state Senate sent the bill to the governor despite
        concern by
        > some that their support would result in "collateral damage" that
        might swing
        > elections to Republicans in November.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > Workers' Comp On The Mend
        > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
        f=/c/a/2004/08/20/EDGE98AAD21.DTL
        > 08-20-04
        > From 2000 to 2003, California workers' compensation insurance
        premiums
        > posted double-digit percentage increases -- helping to flat-line
        the state
        > economy. Now, four months after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed
        Senate
        > Bill 899 to reform workers' compensation, premiums are dropping by
        double
        > digits -- facilitating the California recovery. Bipartisan
        cooperation
        > between the governor and the Legislature produced workers'
        compensation
        > reform that is delivering results.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > They Want Gas To Cost More?

        http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/08/24/sections/commentary/article_
        213353
        > 08-24-04
        > If you think the price of gas is just too low - then you've got a
        friend in
        > Sacramento. Several of them, in fact. Your "friends," in this
        case, are the
        > state legislators behind AB 1468, a bill that would require a 15
        percent cut
        > in gasoline use throughout California. And what does that have to
        do with
        > the price of gas, you ask? Take a look at some of the proposals in
        the state
        > capital to help you use that 15 percent less gas: A new 50 cent-a-
        gallon gas
        > tax - which adds up to $7 billion a year in higher taxes.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > Lawmakers Sit On Study Praising Offshoring Jobs
        > http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/story/10491139p-
        11410494c.html
        > 08-24-04
        > A new analysis commissioned by the Legislature suggests that
        sending
        > American jobs overseas, far from being a blow to employment, can
        actually
        > help preserve existing jobs and create new ones. The paper,
        prepared by the
        > Public Policy Institute of California, warns lawmakers against
        trying to
        > stem the practice by prohibiting offshoring in state contracts,
        noting that
        > such a ban would drive up the cost of services and take money away
        from
        > other programs in the budget. I have seen a copy of the report,
        sent 10 days
        > ago to the Assembly Office of Policy Planning and Research, which
        requested
        > it in May.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > Beyond Precaution
        > Written By: Sydney Smith, Health Care News, The Heartland Institute
        > http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=15517
        > 08-27-04
        > A 53-year-old man recently sued the estate of deceased diet guru
        Dr. Robert
        > Atkins. His grievance? He has coronary artery disease. The crux of
        his case
        > is that his cholesterol count rose from 146 to 230 within two
        months of his
        > starting on the Atkins diet, which he says clogged his arteries so
        badly
        > that within two years he needed the blood vessels roto-rooted.
        > At about the same time, New York's attorney general, Eliot
        Spitzer, charged
        > drug company GlaxoSmithKline with fraud. The crux of his case is
        that the
        > drug maker hid the fact that Paxil is not effective in children,
        and that it
        > makes them suicidal to boot. Spitzer wants the company
        to "disgorge all
        > profits" related to the drug's use in children. Paxil had sales of
        $3
        > billion last year alone. Both cases are appalling examples of how
        distorted
        > our understanding of risk, especially health risk, has become.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > State's Bond Rating Rises
        > http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/story/10502007p-
        11421234c.html
        > 08-25-04
        > Wall Street gave California another thumbs-up Tuesday, as Standard
        & Poor's
        > raised the state's credit rating three notches. Completely
        reversing the
        > three-notch downgrade it made last summer, when California's
        budget problems
        > seemed to be spiraling out of control, the bond rating firm cited
        an
        > improving state economy and the progress made in whittling the
        deficit since
        > last year.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > New Report: PETA Wants Your Kids
        > http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm?headline=2624
        > 08-17-04
        > A 15-year-old girl attempts to ban circus elephants in Denver. A
        rash of
        > adolescent-driven, animal-rights-related vandalism hits
        California. A
        > twelve-year-old boy passes the hat for animal rights. A popular
        software
        > company promotes a video game about "animal liberation" activists
        who
        > destroy medical research labs. Ten-year-olds in Ontario are
        shown "don't
        > kill the animals" videos in public schools. North America's
        largest animal
        > rights convention features two separate panels titled "Engaging
        Children."
        > Is there any doubt that the animal rights movement is targeting
        your kids?

        > ******************************
        >
        > Veto Of Pay Hike Expected

        http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/08/25/sections/region_state/region
        _state/
        > article_214895
        > 08-25-04
        > A bill to raise California's minimum wage to $7.75 an hour over
        the next two
        > years is headed to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, providing a major
        test of his
        > pledge to reject bills that "harm the state's business climate."
        > Schwarzenegger is expected to veto the bill, which the state
        Assembly passed
        > Monday, just days after the Senate also approved it. Business
        groups that
        > are among the governor's biggest financial supporters say they
        widely
        > believe the governor will block the bill, backed by organized
        labor.

        > ******************************
        >
        > Group Wants To Put Property Tax To Voters
        > http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/9480383.htm
        > 08-24-04
        > A bipartisan group says it will seek state voter approval of
        something the
        > Legislature has rejected, easier-to-pass property taxes for
        schools. Days
        > after the Assembly nixed a constitutional amendment to lower the
        approval
        > threshold from its 66 percent-plus majority, the group says it
        will ask
        > voters in 2006 to approve a 55 percent majority. The failed
        amendment,
        > authored by Assemblyman Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, would have
        placed parcel
        > taxes in the same category as school facilities bonds, which
        require a 55
        > percent majority for passage.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > The Job Killers

        http://www.pe.com/localnews/opinion/editorials/stories/PE_OpEd_Opinio
        n_op_25
        > _ed_minwage.57a7d.html
        > 08-26-04
        > California's unemployment rate slipped to 6.1 percent in July - but
        > legislative Democrats are working overtime to reverse that trend,
        piling new
        > layers of job-killing regulations on California's entrepreneurs.
        The bills
        > are a sop to labor unions, intended to gin up a key voting bloc
        even if Gov.
        > Schwarzenegger vetoes them. But the anti-business agenda shows a
        reckless
        > disregard for California workers and employers - a lesson voters
        ignore at
        > their peril. AB 2832, a $1-an-hour hike in the state's minimum
        wage, passed
        > along party lines.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > Lessons for U.S. as School Choice Spreads Worldwide
        > Written By: Robert Holland, School Reform News, The Heartland
        Institute
        > http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=15212
        > 07-01-04
        > School choice has taken hold around the globe in many forms. It is
        practiced
        > from Chile to certain provinces of Canada, from the Netherlands to
        > developing countries like Ghana, from Scandinavia to Australia and
        New
        > Zealand--and in other nations between those wide ranges.
        > Recently, school reformers convened at the Cato Institute in
        Washington, DC
        > to look at other countries' experiences with school choice and to
        discuss
        > what Americans might learn from them.
        > David Salisbury, director of Cato's Center for Educational
        Freedom, said
        > pro-choice school reformers in the U.S. not only should take heart
        from the
        > burgeoning worldwide movement for choice, but also draw lessons
        about how to
        > avoid the harmful side effect of government "micromanagement" of
        > participating private schools.
        >
        > ******************************
        >
        > A Look at Some of the Key Bills Passed
        > http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-
        calbills29aug29,1,2151274.story?coll
        > =la-headlines-california
        > 08-30-04
        > After a bill has been sent to the governor, he has 30 days to sign
        or veto
        > it, or it automatically becomes law. On most bills, Gov. Arnold
        > Schwarzenegger has not yet taken a position.

        > Full legislative text, analyses and votes are available on the
        State web
        > server at:
        > http://www.leginfo.ca.gov
        >
        > Assemblyman Haynes' office can be reached at (909) 699-1113 in
        Temecula