Central Florida RLCers take on 'Kelo'

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2005
      Hi guys. Please check out the new story posetd on the state website.
      It has a lot of Central Florida info, so please let me know if it is
      fully accurate or if there is anything I should add.

      -- Philip Blumel

      +++++

      Across Florida...

      RLCers Take on Kelo

      In Kelo v. New London, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that local
      governments can use their eminent domain power to seize private
      property for private redevelopment, rather than strictly for public
      use.

      The decision has opened the floodgates for numerous new government
      schemes to redevelop their cities using their Kelo powers. In
      Riviera Beach, the city council is threatening using its eminent
      domain power to displace about 6,000 local residents to build a
      billion-dollar waterfront yachting and housing complex (see story
      here).

      But the decision has also lit a fire beneath citizens who were
      shocked by the decision. While the state legislature is considering
      addressing the issue, many RLCers and others are impatient and
      taking the fight to the cities where they live.

      For full story, see: www.rlcfl.org.