Press Release

  • Guy McLendon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
      Here's a question for RLC members:

      Would you support the RLC making a press release to ask the Bush
      Campaign to return the entire $100,000 that was received from
      Abramoff? Bush is returning only $6000, but received $100,000.

      If we are the "Conscience of the RP" ... then, should we not take a
      stand for ethics in politics?

      Guy McLendon
      ********************************
      Jan. 4, 2006, 1:15PM
      Bush returning funds linked to Abramoff

      By JULIE MASON AND SAMANTHA LEVINE
      Copyright 2006 Houston Chroncile

      WASHINGTON -- President Bush's re-election campaign is giving to
      charity thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from
      disgraced former lobbyist and Bush fund-raising "pioneer'' Jack
      Abramoff, the White House said today.

      Abramoff, once a high-flying deal-maker in Washington with ties to
      numerous lawmakers, including Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land, pleaded
      guilty Tuesday to conspiracy, mail fraud and tax evasion.

      DeLay's campaign said today that he, too, will donate money raised
      by Abramoff -- in this case, $15,00 -- to at least one, unnamed
      charity.

      All told, Abramoff raised at least $100,000 for Bush-Cheney '04,
      earning him the title of Bush "pioneer.'' The campaign will redirect
      $6,000 contributed directly from Abramoff and his wife, Pam, and an
      Indian tribe Abramoff represented, to the American Heart Association.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
        Guy McLendon wrote:
        Here's a question for RLC members:

        Would you support the RLC making a press release to ask the Bush Campaign to return the entire $100,000 that was received from Abramoff? Bush is returning only $6000, but received $100,000.

        If we are the "Conscience of the RP" ... then, should we not take a stand for ethics in politics?

        That $6,000 was the personal donation from Abramoff. The rest of the funds came from other people, who should not be painted with the same brush of guilt as that used on Abramoff. The Dems might delight in demanding the full refund, but that's what they do (unless they get theirs illegally from Chinese Communists). The fact that Bush redirected the funds at all is, I believe, more than most people would have done.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
          >Here's a question for RLC members:
          >
          >Would you support the RLC making a press release to ask the Bush
          >Campaign to return the entire $100,000 that was received from
          >Abramoff? Bush is returning only $6000, but received $100,000.
          >
          >If we are the "Conscience of the RP" ... then, should we not take a
          >stand for ethics in politics?

          Was the other 94,000 received legally in some way, or was it
          somehow illegal?

          As libertarians don't we believe that campaign donations are just
          another form of free speech and shouldn't be limited at all?

          Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
          http://www.elitistpig.com
        • Tim Condon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
            This proposal has what to do with advancing the cause of
            individual liberties? Is attempting to attack and embarrass the head of
            the Republican party somehow related to our aims? It does seems like an
            effective way to help marginalize the RLC. ---Tim Condon