Re: RLC Membership Requirements

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
      From: "Chuck Seberg" <pusherprop3@...>
      > I believe current eligibility for RLC is to be registered as a Republican.

      Dr. Ruwart is a current, regular RLC member.
      Since I responded to the same query on some
      state eGroups, I'll copy it here.
      Qualifications for membership were adopted by
      RLC Delegates in Convention as a component of
      our National Bylaws.
      Because not every state has official registration
      by Party, the Bylaws only require "affiliation":

      "Regular membership shall be limited to individuals who are affiliated with
      the Republican Party (as determined by the Caucus Secretary), who have paid
      current minimum dues and who support the purposes of the Caucus."

      Affiliation with another party may be considered
      grounds for de-certification as a delegate in Convention,
      but we do not attempt to validate registration for any
      other membership purposes. Those who have an
      official affiliation with some other party may still be
      "Associate Members" of the RLC:

      "Associate membership shall be open to individuals, no matter their
      political affiliation, who have affirmatively indicated their support for the
      purposes of the Caucus."

      So, at the discretion of the RLC Secretary, any
      member may protest the "Regular" status of any
      other member and the challenged member may
      provide whatever evidence the Secretary deems
      appropriate. If shown to be a member of another
      party, a member may lose the "Regular" privilege
      of being an RLC Delegate in Convention.

      However.
      The Libertarian Party is two organizations in
      one: an officially sanctioned party and a group
      of dues-paid members of a political action group.
      In other words, a person may have paid LP dues
      but remains official registered Republican ... or
      simply takes a Republican ballot on election day.
      Simply paying dues (or any contribution) to any
      other organization is not necessarily grounds for
      being "reclassified" as a RLC Associate Member.

      To date (since 1991) I am aware of only one
      case of an RLC member being removed. That was
      not on the grounds of party registration, but the
      generic "for just cause", as determined by the
      Board of Directors.

      None of the preceding in any way impedes
      a national or state eGroup moderator from taking
      reasonable measures to avoid solicitations from
      other organizations or their representatives. That
      is at the sole discretion of the Chairman or the
      State Coordinator.

      Note, in addition, that the RLC can and does
      endorse other party candidates, ONLY when there
      is no official GOP candidate or nominee. This has
      occurred several times, but is very rare.
      The RLC is an official s527 political organization,
      not an auxiliary or division of the Republican Party.
      As such, we are free to endorse primary candidates
      and refrain from endorsing GOP candidates that we
      find objectionable. The RLC Statement of Principles
      only marginally echoes the latest GOP national or
      state platforms. We are an independent caucus
      within the Republican Party.

      Bill Westmiller
      National RLC Chairman
    • John Pankratz
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005

        This has serious ramifications for all those thinking about saving themselves for Kinky.
        Does this mean I can't sign Kinky Friedman's Petition?  :-)

        From: "Chuck Seberg" <pusherprop3@...>

        --
        I support liberty by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

        http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html