Fwd: Congress goes off the deep end!

  • John David Galt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2005
      From another list.

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Congress goes off the deep end!
      Date: 6 Oct 2005 17:48:14 -0000
      From: GOPUSA Friends <bobby.eberle@...>
      To: gopusalist1@...

      *Greetings to the GOPUSA Family of Activists!*

      Please see the message below from our friends at *The Center for
      Individual Freedom <http://www.cfiflistmanager.org/rscstudybe.html>* and
      find out how you can help them in their efforts to cut government spending.

      Keep up the fight,

      Bobby Eberle

      -----
      Robert R. Eberle, Ph.D.
      President and CEO, GOPUSA

      <http://www.cfif.org>

      *Center for Individual Freedom*

      <http://www.cfif.org>

      * Dear fr**iend**:*

      * _Republican leaders in Congress are spending our hard-earned money
      like drunken sailors._*

      *It's hard to believe! __*

      *Long forgotten are the promises the Republican majority made to cut
      spending and practice fiscal responsibility.*

      * And to make matters worse, _ our Republican leaders actually had the
      audacity to declare "ongoing victory" in the war against government
      pork. _*

      * Just who do they think they're trying to fool?*

      * CFIF is again leading the charge to fight government waste. And thanks
      to the response by concerned Americans like you and me across the
      country, Congressional leaders have taken notice. *

      * In fact, former Majority Leader Tom DeLay, after being bombarded with
      letters and phone calls, recently said: "My answer to those that want to
      offset the spending is, 'Sure, bring me the offsets, I'll be glad to do
      it.' But nobody has been able to come up with any yet." *

      * Well... with your continued help, we're going to answer DeLay's
      challenge. *

      * Since the Republican Leadership wants us to bring them the offsets,
      _we're going to bring them the offsets_. In fact, REAL fiscal
      coservatives in Congress such as Representatives Mike Pence and Jeb
      Hensarling of the Republican Study Committee (RSC) have outlined close
      to _$1 trillion dollars in spending that Congress could cut out of the
      federal budget TODAY!_*

      *_ That's $1,000,000,000,000! Twelve zeros!_*

      * Please stand with me TODAY and hold our elected leaders' feet to the
      fire! *

      * Tell them that you know the score and demand that they do the job we
      elected them to do -- reduce the size of government and get America's
      financial house in order!*

      * Use the hyperlink below to send your 30 URGENT BLAST FAX messages to
      President George W. Bush and the leadership of the House and Senate.*

      *Tell them that they can cut close to $1 trillion dollars of needless
      pork over the next 10 years from the federal budget TODAY if they simply
      follow the recommendations of the Republican Study Committee.*

      * Tell them that you are appalled they broke their promise to reduce the
      size of government, and that they should be listening to leaders like
      Congressman Pence who are desperately trying to keep federal spending
      under control.*

      *Tell them that you know the score and the time for talk and double talk
      has come to an end.*

      * http://www.cfiflistmanager.org/rscstudybe.html*

      * AOL Members Use This Hyperlink
      <http://www.cfiflistmanager.org/rscstudybe.html>*

      * If the above hyperlink does not function, please copy and paste it
      into the address bar of your browser.*

      One Trillion Dollars Is A Lot Of Money

      * What could we do with a trillion dollars? Consider the possibilities:*

      * We could cut a check for more than $3,000.00 to every man, woman
      and child in the United States.*

      * A family of four would receive a check for more than $13,000.00.*

      * Better yet, we could pay for the $200 billion Congress is planning
      to spend on hurricane disaster relief AND eradicate this year's
      federal deficit two times over.*

      * But what really boggles the mind is that we're talking about cutting
      out pure waste... pork... money that wouldn't even be missed.*

      * And to make matters worse... the RSC recommendations barely scratch
      the surface.*

      * Let me share just a few of my favorites with you.*

[...]

      *"Government* Ownership Is N*o* W*ay* To R*un* A R*ailroad"*

      * President Ronald Reagan told us, "Government ownership is no way to
      run a railroad," a quarter of a century ago. *

      * Yet the federal government continues to pump our hard-earned tax
      dollars into Amtrak -- despite the fact that we were told _35 years ago
      that funding passenger-rail was a temporary measure._*

      * According to the RSC, we could eliminate a literal handful of
      expensive long distance passenger routes -- routes that are
      underutilized because consumers can already travel to those places using
      faster and less expensive modes of transportation, like airplanes.*

      * The ultimate savings? *

      *_ $2.5 billion over 10 years!_*

      * That's "billion" -- nine zeros -- and no one is even advocating
      anything earth shattering here. *

      * Amtrak can go on feeding at the government trough -- we're only
      talking about the elimination of a few UNUSED routes.*

[...]

      The National Endowment For The Arts

      * The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) is yet another thorn in the
      side.*

      * You remember the NEA... they're the folks who pay for "high art" with
      American taxpayer money. Our tax dollars have funded art projects like:*

      * A depiction of Jesus Christ in urine*

      * Sadomasochistic photographs by Robert Mapplethorpe*

      * Performances by Karen Finley, who strips on stage and smears her
      body with chocolate and other substances*

      * Novels exploring the molestation of children*

      * The cost?*

      *_ $3.8 billion over ten years_*

[...]

      How About A Congressional Pay Freeze?

      * This is one of our favorites. According to the RSC, "A pay increase
      for Members of Congress is automatic under existing law and _ amendments
      blocking its enactment were out of order_ during appropriations
      consideration this year. In light of unwarranted fiscal constraints,
      Members of Congress could temporarily forgo their pay increases."
      [Emphasis Mine]*

      * Of course the savings over 10 years would only come to about $24
      million -- a drop in the bucket -- but wouldn't it be nice if our
      Members of Congress made the gesture for the victims of the hurricanes
      and all the American people?*

      * And these are just a few examples of what the RSC has proposed. *

      * The RSC has also proposed cuts of almost $50 billion in corporate
      welfare, almost $31 billion by simply delaying the Medicare Prescription
      Drug Program for just one year and another $11.5 billion that is
      earmarked to explore Mars.*

      * The Republican leadership wants us to suggest cuts -- so join with me
      today and let's tell them exactly where they can cut the pork.*

[...]

      *Yours In Freedom,*

      *Jeff Mazzella
      President
      www.cfif.org*

      *CFIF is a 501(c)(4) not-for-profit constitutional advocacy organization
      with
      the mission to protect and defend individual freedoms and individual rights
      in the legal, legislative and educational arenas. Contributions to CFIF are
      not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.
      Contributions may be deductible as a business expense.*