Blogging to Cut Government Spending?

  • J. Keith Harmon
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 17, 2005
      From Instapundit.com:

      READER MICHAEL BUTLER EMAILS:

      Regarding your post on the president's quasi-pledge to cut spending in order to fund post-Katrina relief/reconstruction, and given the awesome job you and other super-bloggers did raising donations and participation for relief efforts, what role can the blogosphere play in pressuring each state delegation to give up some or all of the federal pork currently slated for them? Should bloggers in Alaska start calling for suspended funding on the "Bridge To Nowhere"? Should other bloggers start listing the federal projects and $'s earmarked for their respective states and lead email campaigns aimed at their congressmen and local newspapers? Would this kind of nationwide project benefit from some uber-blogger coordination? Yes, I suspect it would.

      Sounds good to me, and the "bridge to nowhere" is certainly a good place to start. Here are some more things to look at. I've got a few ideas about what bloggers might do to call attention to this, and I'll be posting more on that later.

      Judging from the poll results, quite a few InstaPundit readers are in favor of cutting spending.

      UPDATE: Meanwhile, here's evidence that the federal relief money is already being wasted. Jeez. Can't we just cut every evacuee a check and call it a day?

      posted at 08:28 AM by Glenn Reynolds Permalink

      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 17, 2005
        >I don't really know anything about this group (though I've heard of them before), so it would probably be a good idea to do a little background research on them before relying on their information.

        I can vouch for Citizens Against Government Waste (I've been a member for years), and their "Pig Book" would be an excellent resource.

        Jeff Palmer - jap@...
        ***
        Quote of the Week:  β€œIt takes two to speak the truth - one to speak, and another to hear.” β€” Henry David Thoreau, 1849