Re: [RLC-Action] Roberts & Kelo

  • David Briggman
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
      John,

      I'm not sure most people have a sufficient understanding of the Kelo decision, although as a disclaimer, I'm not an attorney but I have READ the decision.

      I spoke with a UVA law professor and he agreed with me on a radio talkshow, that all that the Supreme Court did was to state that Connecticut's statute relating to this matter is Constitutional.

      This is similar to the lack of constitutional weight the 2nd Amendment has with respect to certain cities and states in our Country: It simply doesn't apply.

      The Constitutional "eminent domain" Amendment would prohibit the federal government from taking the actions that Connecticut has taken...states are free to regulate this as they wish and many -- if not most state legislatures are taken preemptive action to prohibit what happened in Connecticut from happening any more in their respective states.

      I can't remember the URL, but there's a website which lists where similar actions have taken place in most other states in the County, six here in Virginia.

      Dave

      On 9/14/05, John Pankratz <pankratz@...> wrote:
      I don't remember who, but I heard someone asking him about that
      yesterday on the radio. He replied that this was an opportunity for
      Congress to
      override the Court through legislation. Not so sure I liked that answer,
      or that Congress has the power or the will to enact legislation that
      would be as
      strong as what I understand the original intent of the writers of the
      Constitution to have been.  I can't imagine any of the founders
      seconding the Kelo
      decision.  I did hear the there is a bill in Congress to deny federal
      funding to any project that relies on Kelo. That is way too little
      protection.
      As I see it, we have to rely on the state legislatures until better
      constitutional scholars are apointed to the Court. So yes, I would like
      to know how he thinks about Kelo.  He won't say.

      John P.
    • Thomas Sewell
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
        Try http://www.rlc.org/States/oh/. It lists the contact info for the Ohio
        coordinator as well as their State E group.

        Thomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 15, 2005
          From: David Briggman <briggman@...>
          > I can't remember the URL, but there's a website which
          > lists where similar actions have taken place in most
          > other states in the County, six here in Virginia.

          The RLC has supported the Castle Coalition, which is
          a project of the Institute for Justice. They are providing
          wonderful resources at:
          _www.castlecoalition.org_ (http://www.castlecoalition.org)

          Roberts has said (in so many words) that he supports
          the Kelo decision. He favors "supreme deference" to any
          legislative act.

          Bill
        • MikeAMina@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
            Hi Mohamed.
            I'm the Ohio RLC Coordinator. I'm planning an organizational (reorganizational?) RLC meeting in northeast Ohio (where I reside) between now and the end of the year.

            As far as getting Senator DeWine to follow in Dr. Paul's footsteps, I don't know of anyone yet who is sympathetic to our goals and has that kind of access to DeWine. Many Republicans are displeased with DeWine because of the recent federal judge deal he made with the rest of the "gang of 14."

            Furthermore, John Mitchel, who will be challenging DeWine in the primary, has expressed interest in seeking our endorsement. Someone from RLC national is supposed to get back to me on what to have Mr. Mitchel do (in addition to, or other than, signing the Liberty Compact), but no one has gotten back to me.

            Mike Mina
          • Mohamed "me" Elibiary
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
              Thanks for the update Mike.  Good luck with restructuring in Ohio for the primary election.

              ME
              "All we can do is build it one brick at a time!"  Hamada
              I'm the Ohio RLC Coordinator. I'm planning an organizational (reorganizational?) RLC meeting in northeast Ohio (where I reside) between now and the end of the year.

              As far as getting Senator DeWine to follow in Dr. Paul's footsteps, I don't know of anyone yet who is sympathetic to our goals and has that kind of access to DeWine. Many Republicans are displeased with DeWine because of the recent federal judge deal he made with the rest of the "gang of 14."

              Furthermore, John Mitchel, who will be challenging DeWine in the primary, has expressed interest in seeking our endorsement. Someone from RLC national is supposed to get back to me on what to have Mr. Mitchel do (in addition to, or other than, signing the Liberty Compact), but no one has gotten back to me.

              Mike Mina
            • John Mitchel, LtCol, USAF (Ret