Roberts & Kelo

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2005
      With the current confirmation hearings for Roberts is anyone or any
      organization any of you know of running a letter writing campaign to
      the members of the Judiciary Committee to make sure that they ask
      Roberts what his positionon Eminent Domain seizures is likely to be
      or at least how he stands on the Kelo decision?

      Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
      http://www.elitistpig.com
    • John Pankratz
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
        Sorry, but I live in Texas just like you. I suggest you call or email
        one of the national officers and ask him who in Ohio would be the best
        person to contact.
        For contact information, click here:

        http://www.rlc.org/?p=NatComm

        Regards,
        John P.

        --
        I support liberty by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

        http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html

      • John Pankratz
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
          I don't remember who, but I heard someone asking him about that
          yesterday on the radio. He replied that this was an opportunity for
          Congress to
          override the Court through legislation. Not so sure I liked that answer,
          or that Congress has the power or the will to enact legislation that
          would be as
          strong as what I understand the original intent of the writers of the
          Constitution to have been. I can't imagine any of the founders
          seconding the Kelo
          decision. I did hear the there is a bill in Congress to deny federal
          funding to any project that relies on Kelo. That is way too little
          protection.
          As I see it, we have to rely on the state legislatures until better
          constitutional scholars are apointed to the Court. So yes, I would like
          to know how he thinks about Kelo. He won't say.

          John P.

          --
          I support liberty by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

          http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html

        • David Briggman
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
            John,

            I'm not sure most people have a sufficient understanding of the Kelo decision, although as a disclaimer, I'm not an attorney but I have READ the decision.

            I spoke with a UVA law professor and he agreed with me on a radio talkshow, that all that the Supreme Court did was to state that Connecticut's statute relating to this matter is Constitutional.

            This is similar to the lack of constitutional weight the 2nd Amendment has with respect to certain cities and states in our Country: It simply doesn't apply.

            The Constitutional "eminent domain" Amendment would prohibit the federal government from taking the actions that Connecticut has taken...states are free to regulate this as they wish and many -- if not most state legislatures are taken preemptive action to prohibit what happened in Connecticut from happening any more in their respective states.

            I can't remember the URL, but there's a website which lists where similar actions have taken place in most other states in the County, six here in Virginia.

            Dave

            On 9/14/05, John Pankratz <pankratz@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Thomas Sewell
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
              Try http://www.rlc.org/States/oh/. It lists the contact info for the Ohio
              coordinator as well as their State E group.

              Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 15, 2005
                From: David Briggman <briggman@...>
                > I can't remember the URL, but there's a website which
                > lists where similar actions have taken place in most
                > other states in the County, six here in Virginia.

                The RLC has supported the Castle Coalition, which is
                a project of the Institute for Justice. They are providing
                wonderful resources at:
                _www.castlecoalition.org_ (http://www.castlecoalition.org)

                Roberts has said (in so many words) that he supports
                the Kelo decision. He favors "supreme deference" to any
                legislative act.

                Bill
              • MikeAMina@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
                  Hi Mohamed.
                  I'm the Ohio RLC Coordinator. I'm planning an organizational (reorganizational?) RLC meeting in northeast Ohio (where I reside) between now and the end of the year.

                  As far as getting Senator DeWine to follow in Dr. Paul's footsteps, I don't know of anyone yet who is sympathetic to our goals and has that kind of access to DeWine. Many Republicans are displeased with DeWine because of the recent federal judge deal he made with the rest of the "gang of 14."

                  Furthermore, John Mitchel, who will be challenging DeWine in the primary, has expressed interest in seeking our endorsement. Someone from RLC national is supposed to get back to me on what to have Mr. Mitchel do (in addition to, or other than, signing the Liberty Compact), but no one has gotten back to me.

                  Mike Mina
                • Mohamed "me" Elibiary
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
                    Thanks for the update Mike.  Good luck with restructuring in Ohio for the primary election.

                    ME
                    "All we can do is build it one brick at a time!"  Hamada
                    I'm the Ohio RLC Coordinator. I'm planning an organizational (reorganizational?) RLC meeting in northeast Ohio (where I reside) between now and the end of the year.

                    As far as getting Senator DeWine to follow in Dr. Paul's footsteps, I don't know of anyone yet who is sympathetic to our goals and has that kind of access to DeWine. Many Republicans are displeased with DeWine because of the recent federal judge deal he made with the rest of the "gang of 14."

                    Furthermore, John Mitchel, who will be challenging DeWine in the primary, has expressed interest in seeking our endorsement. Someone from RLC national is supposed to get back to me on what to have Mr. Mitchel do (in addition to, or other than, signing the Liberty Compact), but no one has gotten back to me.

                    Mike Mina
                  • John Mitchel, LtCol, USAF (Ret