Roberts & Kelo

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2005
      With the current confirmation hearings for Roberts is anyone or any
      organization any of you know of running a letter writing campaign to
      the members of the Judiciary Committee to make sure that they ask
      Roberts what his positionon Eminent Domain seizures is likely to be
      or at least how he stands on the Kelo decision?

      Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
      http://www.elitistpig.com
    • Mohamed "me" Elibiary
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
        Message
        Hi,

        My name is Mohamed Elibiary and I live in Plano, TX.  I'm a member of the RLC and wanted to network with an activist from the group in Ohio, but am a little hesitant sending out a mass broadcast email.

        Dr. Ron Paul just signed on to a Congressional Dear Colleague letter advising the Conference committee conferees to support the Senate version of the Patriot Act reform legislation.  I'm looking for ways of getting Ohio Senator Mike DeWine to follow in Dr. Paul's footsteps especially since he would be supporting the version that passed his chamber just like other senators have.

        If anyone can direct me to an activist with access into Senator DeWine's office, I'd be much appreciative.  I can be reached via email or my cell phone below.

        thanks,

        ME
        "All we can do is build it one brick at a time!"  Hamada
        Cell: 214-403-2652
      • John Pankratz
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
          Sorry, but I live in Texas just like you. I suggest you call or email
          one of the national officers and ask him who in Ohio would be the best
          person to contact.
          For contact information, click here:

          http://www.rlc.org/?p=NatComm

          Regards,
          John P.

          --
          I support liberty by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

          http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html

        • John Pankratz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
            I don't remember who, but I heard someone asking him about that
            yesterday on the radio. He replied that this was an opportunity for
            Congress to
            override the Court through legislation. Not so sure I liked that answer,
            or that Congress has the power or the will to enact legislation that
            would be as
            strong as what I understand the original intent of the writers of the
            Constitution to have been. I can't imagine any of the founders
            seconding the Kelo
            decision. I did hear the there is a bill in Congress to deny federal
            funding to any project that relies on Kelo. That is way too little
            protection.
            As I see it, we have to rely on the state legislatures until better
            constitutional scholars are apointed to the Court. So yes, I would like
            to know how he thinks about Kelo. He won't say.

            John P.

            --
            I support liberty by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

            http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html

          • David Briggman
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
              John,

              I'm not sure most people have a sufficient understanding of the Kelo decision, although as a disclaimer, I'm not an attorney but I have READ the decision.

              I spoke with a UVA law professor and he agreed with me on a radio talkshow, that all that the Supreme Court did was to state that Connecticut's statute relating to this matter is Constitutional.

              This is similar to the lack of constitutional weight the 2nd Amendment has with respect to certain cities and states in our Country: It simply doesn't apply.

              The Constitutional "eminent domain" Amendment would prohibit the federal government from taking the actions that Connecticut has taken...states are free to regulate this as they wish and many -- if not most state legislatures are taken preemptive action to prohibit what happened in Connecticut from happening any more in their respective states.

              I can't remember the URL, but there's a website which lists where similar actions have taken place in most other states in the County, six here in Virginia.

              Dave

              On 9/14/05, John Pankratz <pankratz@...> wrote:
[...]

            • Thomas Sewell
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 14, 2005
                Try http://www.rlc.org/States/oh/. It lists the contact info for the Ohio
                coordinator as well as their State E group.

                Thomas
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 15, 2005
                  From: David Briggman <briggman@...>
                  > I can't remember the URL, but there's a website which
                  > lists where similar actions have taken place in most
                  > other states in the County, six here in Virginia.

                  The RLC has supported the Castle Coalition, which is
                  a project of the Institute for Justice. They are providing
                  wonderful resources at:
                  _www.castlecoalition.org_ (http://www.castlecoalition.org)

                  Roberts has said (in so many words) that he supports
                  the Kelo decision. He favors "supreme deference" to any
                  legislative act.

                  Bill
                • MikeAMina@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 17, 2005
                    Hi Mohamed.
                    I'm the Ohio RLC Coordinator. I'm planning an organizational (reorganizational?) RLC meeting in northeast Ohio (where I reside) between now and the end of the year.

                    As far as getting Senator DeWine to follow in Dr. Paul's footsteps, I don't know of anyone yet who is sympathetic to our goals and has that kind of access to DeWine. Many Republicans are displeased with DeWine because of the recent federal judge deal he made with the rest of the "gang of 14."

                    Furthermore, John Mitchel, who will be challenging DeWine in the primary, has expressed interest in seeking our endorsement. Someone from RLC national is supposed to get back to me on what to have Mr. Mitchel do (in addition to, or other than, signing the Liberty Compact), but no one has gotten back to me.

                    Mike Mina
                  • Mohamed "me" Elibiary
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
                      Message
                      Thanks for the update Mike.  Good luck with restructuring in Ohio for the primary election.

[...]

                    • John Mitchel, LtCol, USAF (Ret