Re: [RLC-Action] Digest Number 171

  • TG
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      re: the "general welfare" clause

      First John Mitchel wrote:

      Madison did not want the "General Welfare" clause in the Constitution, but Hamilton did.
      Hamilton won the argument, but only after he convinced Madison that General Welfare was
      broad in nature and only provided an introduction to specifically enumerated government powers.  Hope this helps.

      And then Ray Holtorf added:

      >>>Go to the federalist papers. Madison and Jefferson
      wrote extensively about how they feared the "general
      welfare" clause would be misunderstood,
      misrepresented, and misused. I can't remember exactly
      who insisted it be in there).

      Gentlemen: references for the above? Hard to make the argument w/o page/line cites....

      Having said that, let me commit the same sin...I've just spent some time trying to track down the argument, made somewhat tongue-in-cheek by a professor of Constitutional law (pretty sure at UCLA; I though it was Eugene Volokh, but he says it isn't), that the government should be required to buy guns for poor people.

      His argument was this: most people who share the views of Doug Harrison's "flaming liberal" friend would probably agree that, not only does the federal Constitution guarantee a right to abortion, but "the government" should have to pay for it. (Often such believers see no irony in even citing the general welfare clause for requiring payment for an abortion for a single person.)

      This professor reasons: abortion is mentioned nowhere in the Constitution; guns are. If abortions are a "right," then surely the RKBA is, and therefore if people are too poor to afford guns, then poor people should be given them by the government...at least before the government starts paying for abortions.

      If anyone can find the link to this argument and this professor, I would appreciate it. It's a pretty good argument for dealing with "welfare" creduloids.

      On another note...is it really necessary for responders in this group to always leave the entire thread of previous messages in their messages every time?

      --Terence Geoghegan

      ´┐ŻNecessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
      --William Pitt (1783)