Senate Minority Leader

  • Thomas Sewell
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
      If you didn't catch it during the euphoria over Daschle losing:

      According to Robert Novak
      (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/robertnovak/rn20041106.shtml), Reid from
      NV will be Daschle's replacement.

      "One of the first telephone calls placed by President Bush Wednesday morning
      after his re-election was to Sen. Harry Reid, the prospective new Senate
      Democratic leader replacing the defeated Tom Daschle.

      Reid, re-elected to the Senate in Nevada by a landslide Tuesday while
      Daschle lost narrowly in South Dakota, is more ideologically moderate than
      his predecessor. Consequently, Bush hopes to lessen the combative
      relationship with Senate Democrats during his second term.

      Reid, currently assistant minority leader, quickly collected endorsements
      to replace Daschle from at least 32 of the 44 Democrats elected to the next
      Congress. His possible opponent, Sen. Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, would
      have experienced difficulty winning support beyond other Northeastern
      liberals and instead endorsed Reid."
    • Alan Turin
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
        Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

        Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

        I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

        your most faithful and obedient servant

        Alan Turin

        Thomas Sewell <sharper@...> wrote:
[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Tim Condon
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
          At 07:39 AM 11/8/04 -0800, you wrote:
          Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

          Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

          I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

                   Alan, you need to be more sanguine! Last we heard from you you were predicting a Kerry blow-out in Florida because of increased turnout of young people in South Florida.
                   For your information, Senator Bill Nelson will be *handily* beaten when he comes up for election by none other than...Jeb Bush! Put that in the bank!

          Tim Condon, Participant Services Director, Free State Project
            Tampa, Florida - 813-251-2626 - email: tim@...
            A chance to live what you believe: www.freestateproject.org

        • Thomas Sewell
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
            As some of you are aware, my family and I just moved back to Utah a few
            months ago, after spending the last four years in the Northern VA, DC area.
            With the new election cycle starting now, I'm planning a course of action in
            Utah to try and influence the 2006 state elections. I'd like to get some
            input on tactics from those on this list.

            For those who aren't familiar with the situation in Utah, with the exception
            of a few old-timers and parts of Salt Lake City, it's a state dominated by
            Republicans. Republican dominate to the point where the Utah Educators
            Association (UEA, part of the NEA), which would be a liberal Democrat
            institution in any other state, has chosen to influence the Utah GOP
            instead.

            There is something of a perennial battle within the Utah GOP between the
            moderate/liberals represented by the UEA and the conservative/libertarians,
            represented by the Utah taxpayers association and others.

            In Utah, a set of nominating caucus meetings is the last Monday in April in
            each general election year. A race only goes to a primary election if one
            candidate fails to get 60% of the vote in the caucus. The precinct caucuses
            also select delegates for the multi-precinct districts, like a Congressional
            district, the County conventions, which selects for the State, etc...

            Most races don't go to a primary election. The UEA has figured out that the
            power within the Party is at the caucus meetings and pushes it's union
            members to attend their local caucus. The Conservative/libertarian wing of
            the party, while much larger in terms of raw numbers, isn't that organized,
            leading to Republican conventions marginally dominated by the UEA and it's
            allies.

            Most precinct caucuses are attended by 3-10 people, with 20-25 being
            considered a huge turnout in a contentious year.

            In the general election, in many places the Republican candidate runs
            unopposed, or with token opposition from the Libertarian Party, Constitution
            Party or Free Choice Party. The Democrats don't bother even trying except in
            inner city or state-wide races. Even in state-wide races, the democrats tend
            to not make much of an effort and lose 80-20 or 70-30.

            If you see what I am leading up to, the key in Utah is to get more people
            with RLC-friendly views to attend their local caucus in April of 2006. These
            people can then select delegates and candidates for the Party conventions.

            The Utah RLC itself doesn't have enough active people to organize groups to
            attend the caucus in each safe Republican precinct state-wide. However, we
            could form the backbone of a group to organize GOP caucus attendees.

            To do that, we need a large group of people who would be willing to attend a
            caucus meeting or two, a good reason for them to attend and a good reason
            for them to not make common cause with the UEA.

            If Utah politics is an ecology, then the natural enemies of the UEA are the
            home schooling families in the state. There are more Home Scholars in Utah
            than in most states and they tend to be more extremist
            conservative/libertarian than the general population. My family has some
            good contacts within the Utah home schooling community.

            One of the hot topics in Utah that the UEA has been blocking are tuition tax
            credits, etc... It and similar proposals are popular with the general
            public, but not with UEA-backed Republicans. Utah also has a problem with
            overzealous bureaucrats in DCFS. These are the people who take someone's
            child from them because they "abuse" them (real life examples) by washing
            their poopy butt off in lukewarm water in the bath, or take someone's kids
            away because a teacher reported that a Father hugged their daughter when
            picking her up from school. Needless to say, Utah is a big family state that
            has the potential for outrage when things like this come to light. Of
            course, the UEA and DCFS are very close organizationally, both being public
            servants who save the children from their parents. Both also
            organizationally hate home scholars.

            So what I propose to do now is to recruit home scholars and DCFS victims to
            attend local caucus meetings in 2006. I think 17 months is enough time to
            get that organized and done. I'm going to use the issue of proposing a
            parental right's amendment to the state constitution as the impetuous. The
            issue will include a right for parent's to choose their child's education
            (similar to that found in OK's state constitution) and adding due process to
            the DCFS system to protect parent's rights in terms of getting a real
            hearing if their children are taken by the state, being able to have
            relatives take their children instead of DCFS making money off of their
            foster-care system, etc... I'm working out the wording in conjunction with
            those experienced in these matters in the state.

            I plan to contact every known home schooling family in the state (they are
            required to register with the local school board) and explain the way the
            caucuses work, the UEA domination, the parental rights amendment, etc... and
            then ask them what level of involvement they'd be willing to take, including
            things like:

            1. Attend their caucus meeting.
            2. Organize those in their precinct who state they'll attend.
            3. Become a delegate to a higher convention or a candidate.
            4. Make phone calls and attend local home schooling meetings to recruit
            others.
            5. Host a meeting at their home for local home scholars.

            I think many people will be willing to do at least #1. They'll probably even
            bring their kids with them. We'll setup a system of reminders, a mailing
            list, etc...

            My wife (who is in contact with a couple of groups of DCFS victims and their
            lawyers, this thing is almost ready to blow up in Utah) has some other plans
            for related publicity over the next 18 months that may help disorganize the
            UEA and DCFS and put them on the defensive politically.

            What I am looking for from the RLC-Action group is constructive ideas to
            help this work. What have you got for me?

            Thanks,

            Thomas