A Citizen's Right to Petition the Government is Denied

  • Steve Gresh
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2005

      Government of the Governors, by the Governors, and for the Governors (August 25, 2005)

      By Steve Gresh

      On Nov. 19, 1863, in a small town about one hundred miles south of where I was born, our first Republican President concluded his brief speech, "It is rather for us the living, we here be dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

      On Aug. 23, 2005, in a mid-size city where I have lived for more than twenty-seven years, eight members of the city council who claim to be Republicans (plus one who doesn't claim to be anything) voted to not only disregard Mr. Lincoln's solemn resolution, but to pervert his intent in such an atrocious manner that their despotism would have caused the "fathers" to whom he referred to convene again, just as they had convened in another Pennsylvania city fourscore and seven years earlier, to submit the facts of a long train of abuses and usurpations to a candid world.

      By their action to prohibit Douglas Bruce's citizen-initiated petitions from reaching the ballot, those eight Republicans (plus Richard Skorman) have expressed their desires for government of the people, by the people, and for the people to perish from the earth and government of the governors, by the governors, and for the governors to reign supreme.

      Douglas Bruce is a Republican.  Ron Paul is a Republican.  I'm a Republican.

      The eight Republicans who joined the one nothing to deny a citizen his right to petition the government need to be expunged from the party of Lincoln.  Your assistance in helping them to become the official nothings that they are is hereby requested.

      Read Jeff Wright's article that explains this atrocity in more detail (and visit www.cityreforms.com to learn more) and then let the Colorado Springs City Council members know, via e-mail, what you think of their action.  Tons and tons of e-mail is an effective means of communication, especially if you don't live in Colorado Springs.

      General: The Floundering Fools of Fulminating Fallaciousness (August 24, 2005)

      By Jeff Wright

      Is there any limit to the outrages that the Colorado Springs City Council feels no compunction but to commit?

      Regardless of any citizen's feelings about Douglas Bruce and his initiatives, the actions of the Council in trying to prohibit ANY citizen-initiated petition they don't like from reaching the ballot is immoral, un-constitutional and un-American. There is no authority for the council to take such action, before the fact, in law. The fact the we have reached the state where elected officials seem to feel no qualms about taking such action harkens back to King George and one of the worst examples of governing in quite some time.

      The outlaws on City Council are making an unprecedented power grab. They are telling the citizens that only Council will determine which issues the People can petition for and if they don't like it--tough beans. The City of Colorado Springs appears ready to try any tactic to protect their access to the taxpayer's wallet-- the law, history, tradition and morality be damned.

      This level of buffoonery on the part The City Attorney and Council is simply monumental. They're now saying that if any petition contains clauses that they consider onerous or detrimental to governmental interest that they'll simply yank a legally qualified initiative from the ballot. What is really amazing is that the clauses they find most onerous are those that demand fiscal discipline of any kind in the budget process. Here's a listing of what the city objects to:

      *Paying off debt early.

      *Paying back legally due refunds on-time

      *Elimination of a fee that City Council perverted from a tax

      At what point did these political hacks forget that, in such questions, THE PEOPLE decide? The arrogance, disregard and disrespect by these elected boobs needs to be severely rebuked and punished. The first right of the People guaranteed in the US Bill Of Rights and Article V of the state constitution is the right of petition for redress of grievance or remonstrance.

      This is not one that folks can hit the snooze button on. This is a direct assault on EVERYONE's right to petition and to have elected representatives behave in a respectful manner towards the law. This blatant attempt at an end-run must be attacked immediately by everyone that cares about ANY of their rights. The citizens of Colorado Springs must inundate City Hall and the Council with emails, phone calls, faxes and letters denouncing this action by the Council and the behavior in voting unanimously to attack our right to petition. This must not stand!

      To contact your City Council the following is provided:

      Lionel Rivera, Mayor- lrivera@...
      Larry Small, Vice Mayor- Lsmall@...
      Scott Hente, Councilmember District 1- shente@...
      Darryl Glenn, Councilmember District 2- dglenn@...