RE: [RLC-Action] RE: Judiciary Chairmanship

  • michael franks
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
      Also, check out this website www.notspecter.com

      Lest you think this is fiction - these signs started to appear in the
      Philadelphia area just before the election, paid for by Arlen�s former
      campaign manager. This particular picture originially appeared in the Philly
      Daily News.

      (in case the picture doesnt' come up and you cant open the file, the yard
      signs they had printed said "KERRY and SPECTER for Working Families")
      (it's on the website link above as well)

      The man is an ingrate with no core principles or ideology at all.

      Michael Franks
    • Thomas Sewell
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
        If you didn't catch it during the euphoria over Daschle losing:

        According to Robert Novak
        (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/robertnovak/rn20041106.shtml), Reid from
        NV will be Daschle's replacement.

        "One of the first telephone calls placed by President Bush Wednesday morning
        after his re-election was to Sen. Harry Reid, the prospective new Senate
        Democratic leader replacing the defeated Tom Daschle.

        Reid, re-elected to the Senate in Nevada by a landslide Tuesday while
        Daschle lost narrowly in South Dakota, is more ideologically moderate than
        his predecessor. Consequently, Bush hopes to lessen the combative
        relationship with Senate Democrats during his second term.

        Reid, currently assistant minority leader, quickly collected endorsements
        to replace Daschle from at least 32 of the 44 Democrats elected to the next
        Congress. His possible opponent, Sen. Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, would
        have experienced difficulty winning support beyond other Northeastern
        liberals and instead endorsed Reid."
      • Alan Turin
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
          Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

          Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

          I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

          your most faithful and obedient servant

          Alan Turin

          Thomas Sewell <sharper@...> wrote:
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Tim Condon
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
            At 07:39 AM 11/8/04 -0800, you wrote:
            Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

            Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

            I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

                     Alan, you need to be more sanguine! Last we heard from you you were predicting a Kerry blow-out in Florida because of increased turnout of young people in South Florida.
                     For your information, Senator Bill Nelson will be *handily* beaten when he comes up for election by none other than...Jeb Bush! Put that in the bank!

            Tim Condon, Participant Services Director, Free State Project
              Tampa, Florida - 813-251-2626 - email: tim@...
              A chance to live what you believe: www.freestateproject.org

          • Thomas Sewell
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
              As some of you are aware, my family and I just moved back to Utah a few
              months ago, after spending the last four years in the Northern VA, DC area.
              With the new election cycle starting now, I'm planning a course of action in
              Utah to try and influence the 2006 state elections. I'd like to get some
              input on tactics from those on this list.

              For those who aren't familiar with the situation in Utah, with the exception
              of a few old-timers and parts of Salt Lake City, it's a state dominated by
              Republicans. Republican dominate to the point where the Utah Educators
              Association (UEA, part of the NEA), which would be a liberal Democrat
              institution in any other state, has chosen to influence the Utah GOP
              instead.

              There is something of a perennial battle within the Utah GOP between the
              moderate/liberals represented by the UEA and the conservative/libertarians,
              represented by the Utah taxpayers association and others.

              In Utah, a set of nominating caucus meetings is the last Monday in April in
              each general election year. A race only goes to a primary election if one
              candidate fails to get 60% of the vote in the caucus. The precinct caucuses
              also select delegates for the multi-precinct districts, like a Congressional
              district, the County conventions, which selects for the State, etc...

              Most races don't go to a primary election. The UEA has figured out that the
              power within the Party is at the caucus meetings and pushes it's union
              members to attend their local caucus. The Conservative/libertarian wing of
              the party, while much larger in terms of raw numbers, isn't that organized,
              leading to Republican conventions marginally dominated by the UEA and it's
              allies.

              Most precinct caucuses are attended by 3-10 people, with 20-25 being
              considered a huge turnout in a contentious year.

              In the general election, in many places the Republican candidate runs
              unopposed, or with token opposition from the Libertarian Party, Constitution
              Party or Free Choice Party. The Democrats don't bother even trying except in
              inner city or state-wide races. Even in state-wide races, the democrats tend
              to not make much of an effort and lose 80-20 or 70-30.

              If you see what I am leading up to, the key in Utah is to get more people
              with RLC-friendly views to attend their local caucus in April of 2006. These
              people can then select delegates and candidates for the Party conventions.

              The Utah RLC itself doesn't have enough active people to organize groups to
              attend the caucus in each safe Republican precinct state-wide. However, we
              could form the backbone of a group to organize GOP caucus attendees.

              To do that, we need a large group of people who would be willing to attend a
              caucus meeting or two, a good reason for them to attend and a good reason
              for them to not make common cause with the UEA.

              If Utah politics is an ecology, then the natural enemies of the UEA are the
              home schooling families in the state. There are more Home Scholars in Utah
              than in most states and they tend to be more extremist
              conservative/libertarian than the general population. My family has some
              good contacts within the Utah home schooling community.

              One of the hot topics in Utah that the UEA has been blocking are tuition tax
              credits, etc... It and similar proposals are popular with the general
              public, but not with UEA-backed Republicans. Utah also has a problem with
              overzealous bureaucrats in DCFS. These are the people who take someone's
              child from them because they "abuse" them (real life examples) by washing
              their poopy butt off in lukewarm water in the bath, or take someone's kids
              away because a teacher reported that a Father hugged their daughter when
              picking her up from school. Needless to say, Utah is a big family state that
              has the potential for outrage when things like this come to light. Of
              course, the UEA and DCFS are very close organizationally, both being public
              servants who save the children from their parents. Both also
              organizationally hate home scholars.

              So what I propose to do now is to recruit home scholars and DCFS victims to
              attend local caucus meetings in 2006. I think 17 months is enough time to
              get that organized and done. I'm going to use the issue of proposing a
              parental right's amendment to the state constitution as the impetuous. The
              issue will include a right for parent's to choose their child's education
              (similar to that found in OK's state constitution) and adding due process to
              the DCFS system to protect parent's rights in terms of getting a real
              hearing if their children are taken by the state, being able to have
              relatives take their children instead of DCFS making money off of their
              foster-care system, etc... I'm working out the wording in conjunction with
              those experienced in these matters in the state.

              I plan to contact every known home schooling family in the state (they are
              required to register with the local school board) and explain the way the
              caucuses work, the UEA domination, the parental rights amendment, etc... and
              then ask them what level of involvement they'd be willing to take, including
              things like:

              1. Attend their caucus meeting.
              2. Organize those in their precinct who state they'll attend.
              3. Become a delegate to a higher convention or a candidate.
              4. Make phone calls and attend local home schooling meetings to recruit
              others.
              5. Host a meeting at their home for local home scholars.

              I think many people will be willing to do at least #1. They'll probably even
              bring their kids with them. We'll setup a system of reminders, a mailing
              list, etc...

              My wife (who is in contact with a couple of groups of DCFS victims and their
              lawyers, this thing is almost ready to blow up in Utah) has some other plans
              for related publicity over the next 18 months that may help disorganize the
              UEA and DCFS and put them on the defensive politically.

              What I am looking for from the RLC-Action group is constructive ideas to
              help this work. What have you got for me?

              Thanks,

              Thomas