RE: [RLC-Action] RE: Judiciary Chairmanship

  • Adam J Bernay
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004

      If by “Women’s Rights,” you mean the right to murder their babies, I cannot agree with you.

      However, the problem with Spector’s stand for more liberal judges has nothing to do with individual issues like abortion.  The problem is that Spector’s choices for judges do not believe in the Constitution or strict constructionism or judicial restraint.  No matter what we believe about individual issues, we must stand for the Constitution, strict constructionism, and judicial restraint.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
        yes yes.

        He kept us from having Bork. He is an ass and needs to go. Rove believes
        Spector will do what is right as he said today. I don't believe nor trust
        the man. This is way to important to just "trust him on his word" crap.

        Here is what was said today:

        Chief political adviser Karl Rove said Specter, in line to head the Senate
        Judiciary Committee, has assured the president that he would make certain
        that every one of Bush's nominees receive a prompt hearing and an up-or-down
        vote by the full Senate.

        "Senator Specter's a man of his word," Rove told Fox News Sunday. "We'll
        take him at his word."

        What good is "the word" of someone like Spector who also, as they all do,
        gives their "word" to uphold and defend the Constitution, but pass laws and
        do everything but that as their main focus.

        We are going to trust, possibly the next 50 years of judicial rule on this
        basically democrat's "word"?

        He needs to be politically "castrated" in the Senate.

        Michael

        ps. His cover up after what he said is reminiscent of Clinton's "Let me tell
        you, I never had sex with that woman", then explanation after the fact of
        what he really said, and the now infamous "what is, "is"?" Spector
        meant what he originally said I believe in the context he said it in. He
        wasn't expecting for his comment to "take hold" and be a backlash against
        him, now he is doing, and saying anything he can and do to cover up the
        TRUTH about who he is and what he really believes in.

        >From: "Adam J Bernay" <Republican-Liberty@...>
        >To: <RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com>

        >If by "Women's Rights," you mean the right to murder their babies, I cannot
        >agree with you.
        >

        >However, the problem with Spector's stand for more liberal judges has
        >nothing to do with individual issues like abortion. The problem is that
        >Spector's choices for judges do not believe in the Constitution or strict
        >constructionism or judicial restraint. No matter what we believe about
        >individual issues, we must stand for the Constitution, strict
        >constructionism, and judicial restraint.
      • michael franks
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
          Also, check out this website www.notspecter.com

          Lest you think this is fiction - these signs started to appear in the
          Philadelphia area just before the election, paid for by Arlen�s former
          campaign manager. This particular picture originially appeared in the Philly
          Daily News.

          (in case the picture doesnt' come up and you cant open the file, the yard
          signs they had printed said "KERRY and SPECTER for Working Families")
          (it's on the website link above as well)

          The man is an ingrate with no core principles or ideology at all.

          Michael Franks
        • Thomas Sewell
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
            If you didn't catch it during the euphoria over Daschle losing:

            According to Robert Novak
            (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/robertnovak/rn20041106.shtml), Reid from
            NV will be Daschle's replacement.

            "One of the first telephone calls placed by President Bush Wednesday morning
            after his re-election was to Sen. Harry Reid, the prospective new Senate
            Democratic leader replacing the defeated Tom Daschle.

            Reid, re-elected to the Senate in Nevada by a landslide Tuesday while
            Daschle lost narrowly in South Dakota, is more ideologically moderate than
            his predecessor. Consequently, Bush hopes to lessen the combative
            relationship with Senate Democrats during his second term.

            Reid, currently assistant minority leader, quickly collected endorsements
            to replace Daschle from at least 32 of the 44 Democrats elected to the next
            Congress. His possible opponent, Sen. Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, would
            have experienced difficulty winning support beyond other Northeastern
            liberals and instead endorsed Reid."
          • Alan Turin
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
              Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

              Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

              I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

              your most faithful and obedient servant

              Alan Turin

              Thomas Sewell <sharper@...> wrote:
[...]

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Tim Condon
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
                At 07:39 AM 11/8/04 -0800, you wrote:
                Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

                Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

                I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

                         Alan, you need to be more sanguine! Last we heard from you you were predicting a Kerry blow-out in Florida because of increased turnout of young people in South Florida.
                         For your information, Senator Bill Nelson will be *handily* beaten when he comes up for election by none other than...Jeb Bush! Put that in the bank!

                Tim Condon, Participant Services Director, Free State Project
                  Tampa, Florida - 813-251-2626 - email: tim@...
                  A chance to live what you believe: www.freestateproject.org

              • Thomas Sewell
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
                  As some of you are aware, my family and I just moved back to Utah a few
                  months ago, after spending the last four years in the Northern VA, DC area.
                  With the new election cycle starting now, I'm planning a course of action in
                  Utah to try and influence the 2006 state elections. I'd like to get some
                  input on tactics from those on this list.

                  For those who aren't familiar with the situation in Utah, with the exception
                  of a few old-timers and parts of Salt Lake City, it's a state dominated by
                  Republicans. Republican dominate to the point where the Utah Educators
                  Association (UEA, part of the NEA), which would be a liberal Democrat
                  institution in any other state, has chosen to influence the Utah GOP
                  instead.

                  There is something of a perennial battle within the Utah GOP between the
                  moderate/liberals represented by the UEA and the conservative/libertarians,
                  represented by the Utah taxpayers association and others.

                  In Utah, a set of nominating caucus meetings is the last Monday in April in
                  each general election year. A race only goes to a primary election if one
                  candidate fails to get 60% of the vote in the caucus. The precinct caucuses
                  also select delegates for the multi-precinct districts, like a Congressional
                  district, the County conventions, which selects for the State, etc...

                  Most races don't go to a primary election. The UEA has figured out that the
                  power within the Party is at the caucus meetings and pushes it's union
                  members to attend their local caucus. The Conservative/libertarian wing of
                  the party, while much larger in terms of raw numbers, isn't that organized,
                  leading to Republican conventions marginally dominated by the UEA and it's
                  allies.

                  Most precinct caucuses are attended by 3-10 people, with 20-25 being
                  considered a huge turnout in a contentious year.

                  In the general election, in many places the Republican candidate runs
                  unopposed, or with token opposition from the Libertarian Party, Constitution
                  Party or Free Choice Party. The Democrats don't bother even trying except in
                  inner city or state-wide races. Even in state-wide races, the democrats tend
                  to not make much of an effort and lose 80-20 or 70-30.

                  If you see what I am leading up to, the key in Utah is to get more people
                  with RLC-friendly views to attend their local caucus in April of 2006. These
                  people can then select delegates and candidates for the Party conventions.

                  The Utah RLC itself doesn't have enough active people to organize groups to
                  attend the caucus in each safe Republican precinct state-wide. However, we
                  could form the backbone of a group to organize GOP caucus attendees.

                  To do that, we need a large group of people who would be willing to attend a
                  caucus meeting or two, a good reason for them to attend and a good reason
                  for them to not make common cause with the UEA.

                  If Utah politics is an ecology, then the natural enemies of the UEA are the
                  home schooling families in the state. There are more Home Scholars in Utah
                  than in most states and they tend to be more extremist
                  conservative/libertarian than the general population. My family has some
                  good contacts within the Utah home schooling community.

                  One of the hot topics in Utah that the UEA has been blocking are tuition tax
                  credits, etc... It and similar proposals are popular with the general
                  public, but not with UEA-backed Republicans. Utah also has a problem with
                  overzealous bureaucrats in DCFS. These are the people who take someone's
                  child from them because they "abuse" them (real life examples) by washing
                  their poopy butt off in lukewarm water in the bath, or take someone's kids
                  away because a teacher reported that a Father hugged their daughter when
                  picking her up from school. Needless to say, Utah is a big family state that
                  has the potential for outrage when things like this come to light. Of
                  course, the UEA and DCFS are very close organizationally, both being public
                  servants who save the children from their parents. Both also
                  organizationally hate home scholars.

                  So what I propose to do now is to recruit home scholars and DCFS victims to
                  attend local caucus meetings in 2006. I think 17 months is enough time to
                  get that organized and done. I'm going to use the issue of proposing a
                  parental right's amendment to the state constitution as the impetuous. The
                  issue will include a right for parent's to choose their child's education
                  (similar to that found in OK's state constitution) and adding due process to
                  the DCFS system to protect parent's rights in terms of getting a real
                  hearing if their children are taken by the state, being able to have
                  relatives take their children instead of DCFS making money off of their
                  foster-care system, etc... I'm working out the wording in conjunction with
                  those experienced in these matters in the state.

                  I plan to contact every known home schooling family in the state (they are
                  required to register with the local school board) and explain the way the
                  caucuses work, the UEA domination, the parental rights amendment, etc... and
                  then ask them what level of involvement they'd be willing to take, including
                  things like:

                  1. Attend their caucus meeting.
                  2. Organize those in their precinct who state they'll attend.
                  3. Become a delegate to a higher convention or a candidate.
                  4. Make phone calls and attend local home schooling meetings to recruit
                  others.
                  5. Host a meeting at their home for local home scholars.

                  I think many people will be willing to do at least #1. They'll probably even
                  bring their kids with them. We'll setup a system of reminders, a mailing
                  list, etc...

                  My wife (who is in contact with a couple of groups of DCFS victims and their
                  lawyers, this thing is almost ready to blow up in Utah) has some other plans
                  for related publicity over the next 18 months that may help disorganize the
                  UEA and DCFS and put them on the defensive politically.

                  What I am looking for from the RLC-Action group is constructive ideas to
                  help this work. What have you got for me?

                  Thanks,

                  Thomas