RE: Judiciary Chairmanship

  • Stu Adler
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
      Spector has made public his stand for more liberal judges.  I am ambivilent on the subject:  As far as women's rights are concerned, yes, we do need more "liberal" judges.  As far as criminal rights are concerned, I am all for bringing back public burning at the stake!

      ...Stu
    • Adam J Bernay
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004

        If by “Women’s Rights,” you mean the right to murder their babies, I cannot agree with you.

        However, the problem with Spector’s stand for more liberal judges has nothing to do with individual issues like abortion.  The problem is that Spector’s choices for judges do not believe in the Constitution or strict constructionism or judicial restraint.  No matter what we believe about individual issues, we must stand for the Constitution, strict constructionism, and judicial restraint.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
          yes yes.

          He kept us from having Bork. He is an ass and needs to go. Rove believes
          Spector will do what is right as he said today. I don't believe nor trust
          the man. This is way to important to just "trust him on his word" crap.

          Here is what was said today:

          Chief political adviser Karl Rove said Specter, in line to head the Senate
          Judiciary Committee, has assured the president that he would make certain
          that every one of Bush's nominees receive a prompt hearing and an up-or-down
          vote by the full Senate.

          "Senator Specter's a man of his word," Rove told Fox News Sunday. "We'll
          take him at his word."

          What good is "the word" of someone like Spector who also, as they all do,
          gives their "word" to uphold and defend the Constitution, but pass laws and
          do everything but that as their main focus.

          We are going to trust, possibly the next 50 years of judicial rule on this
          basically democrat's "word"?

          He needs to be politically "castrated" in the Senate.

          Michael

          ps. His cover up after what he said is reminiscent of Clinton's "Let me tell
          you, I never had sex with that woman", then explanation after the fact of
          what he really said, and the now infamous "what is, "is"?" Spector
          meant what he originally said I believe in the context he said it in. He
          wasn't expecting for his comment to "take hold" and be a backlash against
          him, now he is doing, and saying anything he can and do to cover up the
          TRUTH about who he is and what he really believes in.

          >From: "Adam J Bernay" <Republican-Liberty@...>
          >To: <RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com>

          >If by "Women's Rights," you mean the right to murder their babies, I cannot
          >agree with you.
          >

          >However, the problem with Spector's stand for more liberal judges has
          >nothing to do with individual issues like abortion. The problem is that
          >Spector's choices for judges do not believe in the Constitution or strict
          >constructionism or judicial restraint. No matter what we believe about
          >individual issues, we must stand for the Constitution, strict
          >constructionism, and judicial restraint.
        • michael franks
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
            Also, check out this website www.notspecter.com

            Lest you think this is fiction - these signs started to appear in the
            Philadelphia area just before the election, paid for by Arlen�s former
            campaign manager. This particular picture originially appeared in the Philly
            Daily News.

            (in case the picture doesnt' come up and you cant open the file, the yard
            signs they had printed said "KERRY and SPECTER for Working Families")
            (it's on the website link above as well)

            The man is an ingrate with no core principles or ideology at all.

            Michael Franks
          • Thomas Sewell
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2004
              If you didn't catch it during the euphoria over Daschle losing:

              According to Robert Novak
              (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/robertnovak/rn20041106.shtml), Reid from
              NV will be Daschle's replacement.

              "One of the first telephone calls placed by President Bush Wednesday morning
              after his re-election was to Sen. Harry Reid, the prospective new Senate
              Democratic leader replacing the defeated Tom Daschle.

              Reid, re-elected to the Senate in Nevada by a landslide Tuesday while
              Daschle lost narrowly in South Dakota, is more ideologically moderate than
              his predecessor. Consequently, Bush hopes to lessen the combative
              relationship with Senate Democrats during his second term.

              Reid, currently assistant minority leader, quickly collected endorsements
              to replace Daschle from at least 32 of the 44 Democrats elected to the next
              Congress. His possible opponent, Sen. Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, would
              have experienced difficulty winning support beyond other Northeastern
              liberals and instead endorsed Reid."
            • Alan Turin
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
                Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

                Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

                I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

                your most faithful and obedient servant

                Alan Turin

                Thomas Sewell <sharper@...> wrote:
[...]

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Tim Condon
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
                  At 07:39 AM 11/8/04 -0800, you wrote:
                  Mr. Sewell remarks herein reminded me of something I wanted to pass on. First, Reid is less-worse than Daschle, but Reid came w/n a whisker of being ousted in 1998 and the margin of victory was more than overshadowed by Michael Cloud nee Emerling. A reprise of what had happened to Daschle in SD the same year.

                  Here in the Sunshine state, Bill Nelson is now Fla's most prominent Democrat [the GOP overwhelmingly controls the state legislative chambers, the elective Cabinet, most of the Cong. delegation]. Nelson handily beat Bill McCollum in 2000, but I believe he'll be targeted by the Senate GOP committee.

                  I doubt Nelson is that vulnerable. But what of Dorgan of ND? Do any of you all know of other "blue senators from red states?" who are similarly vulnerable?

                           Alan, you need to be more sanguine! Last we heard from you you were predicting a Kerry blow-out in Florida because of increased turnout of young people in South Florida.
                           For your information, Senator Bill Nelson will be *handily* beaten when he comes up for election by none other than...Jeb Bush! Put that in the bank!

                  Tim Condon, Participant Services Director, Free State Project
                    Tampa, Florida - 813-251-2626 - email: tim@...
                    A chance to live what you believe: www.freestateproject.org

                • Thomas Sewell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 8, 2004
                    As some of you are aware, my family and I just moved back to Utah a few
                    months ago, after spending the last four years in the Northern VA, DC area.
                    With the new election cycle starting now, I'm planning a course of action in
                    Utah to try and influence the 2006 state elections. I'd like to get some
                    input on tactics from those on this list.

                    For those who aren't familiar with the situation in Utah, with the exception
                    of a few old-timers and parts of Salt Lake City, it's a state dominated by
                    Republicans. Republican dominate to the point where the Utah Educators
                    Association (UEA, part of the NEA), which would be a liberal Democrat
                    institution in any other state, has chosen to influence the Utah GOP
                    instead.

                    There is something of a perennial battle within the Utah GOP between the
                    moderate/liberals represented by the UEA and the conservative/libertarians,
                    represented by the Utah taxpayers association and others.

                    In Utah, a set of nominating caucus meetings is the last Monday in April in
                    each general election year. A race only goes to a primary election if one
                    candidate fails to get 60% of the vote in the caucus. The precinct caucuses
                    also select delegates for the multi-precinct districts, like a Congressional
                    district, the County conventions, which selects for the State, etc...

                    Most races don't go to a primary election. The UEA has figured out that the
                    power within the Party is at the caucus meetings and pushes it's union
                    members to attend their local caucus. The Conservative/libertarian wing of
                    the party, while much larger in terms of raw numbers, isn't that organized,
                    leading to Republican conventions marginally dominated by the UEA and it's
                    allies.

                    Most precinct caucuses are attended by 3-10 people, with 20-25 being
                    considered a huge turnout in a contentious year.

                    In the general election, in many places the Republican candidate runs
                    unopposed, or with token opposition from the Libertarian Party, Constitution
                    Party or Free Choice Party. The Democrats don't bother even trying except in
                    inner city or state-wide races. Even in state-wide races, the democrats tend
                    to not make much of an effort and lose 80-20 or 70-30.

                    If you see what I am leading up to, the key in Utah is to get more people
                    with RLC-friendly views to attend their local caucus in April of 2006. These
                    people can then select delegates and candidates for the Party conventions.

                    The Utah RLC itself doesn't have enough active people to organize groups to
                    attend the caucus in each safe Republican precinct state-wide. However, we
                    could form the backbone of a group to organize GOP caucus attendees.

                    To do that, we need a large group of people who would be willing to attend a
                    caucus meeting or two, a good reason for them to attend and a good reason
                    for them to not make common cause with the UEA.

                    If Utah politics is an ecology, then the natural enemies of the UEA are the
                    home schooling families in the state. There are more Home Scholars in Utah
                    than in most states and they tend to be more extremist
                    conservative/libertarian than the general population. My family has some
                    good contacts within the Utah home schooling community.

                    One of the hot topics in Utah that the UEA has been blocking are tuition tax
                    credits, etc... It and similar proposals are popular with the general
                    public, but not with UEA-backed Republicans. Utah also has a problem with
                    overzealous bureaucrats in DCFS. These are the people who take someone's
                    child from them because they "abuse" them (real life examples) by washing
                    their poopy butt off in lukewarm water in the bath, or take someone's kids
                    away because a teacher reported that a Father hugged their daughter when
                    picking her up from school. Needless to say, Utah is a big family state that
                    has the potential for outrage when things like this come to light. Of
                    course, the UEA and DCFS are very close organizationally, both being public
                    servants who save the children from their parents. Both also
                    organizationally hate home scholars.

                    So what I propose to do now is to recruit home scholars and DCFS victims to
                    attend local caucus meetings in 2006. I think 17 months is enough time to
                    get that organized and done. I'm going to use the issue of proposing a
                    parental right's amendment to the state constitution as the impetuous. The
                    issue will include a right for parent's to choose their child's education
                    (similar to that found in OK's state constitution) and adding due process to
                    the DCFS system to protect parent's rights in terms of getting a real
                    hearing if their children are taken by the state, being able to have
                    relatives take their children instead of DCFS making money off of their
                    foster-care system, etc... I'm working out the wording in conjunction with
                    those experienced in these matters in the state.

                    I plan to contact every known home schooling family in the state (they are
                    required to register with the local school board) and explain the way the
                    caucuses work, the UEA domination, the parental rights amendment, etc... and
                    then ask them what level of involvement they'd be willing to take, including
                    things like:

                    1. Attend their caucus meeting.
                    2. Organize those in their precinct who state they'll attend.
                    3. Become a delegate to a higher convention or a candidate.
                    4. Make phone calls and attend local home schooling meetings to recruit
                    others.
                    5. Host a meeting at their home for local home scholars.

                    I think many people will be willing to do at least #1. They'll probably even
                    bring their kids with them. We'll setup a system of reminders, a mailing
                    list, etc...

                    My wife (who is in contact with a couple of groups of DCFS victims and their
                    lawyers, this thing is almost ready to blow up in Utah) has some other plans
                    for related publicity over the next 18 months that may help disorganize the
                    UEA and DCFS and put them on the defensive politically.

                    What I am looking for from the RLC-Action group is constructive ideas to
                    help this work. What have you got for me?

                    Thanks,

                    Thomas