Re: [RLC-Action] New poll for RLC-Action

  • Tim Condon
    Message 1 of 51 , Aug 13, 2005
                   Doug's points below are valuable additions to the debate and discussion, for which he deserves thanks. I have some specific further observations in response, below.   ---Tim Condon

      DGHarrison wrote:
      The original call for a logo was for a graphic design without any words incorporated into it. I'm guessing that the idea was to get a logo that stood alone, and any words would be added as needed, depending upon the application (although that was never explained in so many words).  Several designs were submitted with words, several without. In this regard, all designs should be considered for their merit without the words.
                Disagree. The logo should "stand on its own" rather than cobbling it together with some additional words. The elephant-rat-flat logo doesn't need any additions to make it complete. In other words, the words *are* part of the graphic design, and that's what makes this particular logo superior IMHO.
      And, just to play Devil's Advocate here for a moment, what I don't quite find attractive about the Elephant Flag is that the single star in the middle of its forehead makes it look like a circus elephant, which might prompt critics of the RLC to make statements like, "There's that RLC circus elephant; there must be some RLC clowns around here somewhere." Even the "RLC" could be abused by someone turning the "C" into "Clowns." The star also looks like a bull's eye. Elephants are hard to bring down, but didn't the safari hunter aim right between the eyes to bring a big bull elephant to its knees?
                I confess that I don't like the star in the center of the elephant's forehead either. Doug's right. But that can be easily remedied: Take the star off. Of more concern, to my mind, is the fact that the elephant looks overall like an enraged rat (if the horns become are wrapped around the "eyes" of the animal, for those of you who don't see it...). But that can easily be remedied also. So I guess my endorsement of the elephant-flag logo is conditional. Evan with the recommended tweaks, I think that's the coolest logo.

      I believe in "negative analysis." You can look at something and find a lot of things you like about it, and you can look at something to find what you don't like about it. If the negatives outweigh the positives, the decision is greatly simplified.

      Tim Condon wrote:
                Everyone, let me argue for the Elephant Flag logo. The reason I like it is that it has our entire name spelled out---Republican Liberty Caucus---AND it's got our web site of www.rlc.org on it. Plus it incorporates elements of the American flag and the GOP Elephant. An extra benefit, to my mind, is that the elephant looks like an enraged rat...but that just might only be me.
      Tim Condon, Tampa, FL --- Come live with us in liberty: WWW.FREESTATEPROJECT.ORG
      "When people are free to go about their own business, they put their ingenuity and creativity in the service of all. They search for ways to satisfy the needs, desires, and wants of others. The true utopia lies not in some state-sponsored tyranny, but in the free market of goods, ides, and services, whose operating principle is that success depends on satisfying others."  ---from "Why Freedom?" by R.J. Rummel

      RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Enter your vote today!  A new poll has been created for the
      RLC-Action group:

      RLC members are invited to indicate their preferences for an
      official RLC logo. The entries may be found at:
      www.republicanliberty.org/news/rlc_logos.htm
      Results from the convention and all RLC membership eGroups
      will be reviewed by the Board for final determination.
      Indicate your preference:

        o Elephant Torch [Westmiller-Finalist]
        o Liberty Bell [Bernay-Finalist]
        o Lady Bell [Hancock-Finalist]
        o Bell Emblem [Reed-RunnerUp]
        o Elephant Flag [Oldroyd-RunnerUp]
        o Gadsen Flag [Holtorf]
        o Elephant Line [Briggman]
        o Eagle Emblem [Turner]
        o RLC Flag [McWilliams]
        o Liberty 'B' [Reed]
        o Eagle Flag [Westmiller]
        o Blanket Line [Seberg-Late]
        o None of the Above

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!

      ">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.8/71 - Release Date: 8/12/2005
      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 17, 2005
        Message
        >I don't really know anything about this group (though I've heard of them before), so it would probably be a good idea to do a little background research on them before relying on their information.

        I can vouch for Citizens Against Government Waste (I've been a member for years), and their "Pig Book" would be an excellent resource.

        Jeff Palmer - jap@...
        ***
        Quote of the Week:  β€œIt takes two to speak the truth - one to speak, and another to hear.” β€” Henry David Thoreau, 1849