Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Logo & Slogan

  • John Pankratz
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 22, 2005
      jonhenke@... wrote:
      "I hope we will be able to get the RLC website looking like that, or any one of thousands of other activist websites. Daily updates and commentary are the living breath of a website, and when there are seldom any updates added, a website is either comatose or dead."

      - - -Very true.   I'd love to see the RLC have a blog, but there are problems inherent in that:

      1) Blogs require a Point of View.   Inevitably, since we don't agree on everything, that would upset members of the RLC.  How would we ensure that the blog doesn't become a divisive point?

      You could have more than one blog , illustrating by example the diversity found in the RLC.  There would have to be some agreement on common ground going in, on what the RLC stands for, and then let different opinions show.  It might make more people feel comfortable about joining.  One thing about the RNC site is that it seems to exactly mirror the Administration about everything.

      2) Who would maintain the blog?  How would the group ensure that, let's be blunt, the cranks were not allowed to maintain the blog?    It might be an interesting academic excercise to discuss the gold standard, the elimination of the Fed, the FDA and the Department of Education...but it's not going to happen.   And even discussing it gets you--and everybody associated with you--marked as a crank.  I don't say that to criticize anybody's POV....just to point out that what's not inappropriate on a discussion group is extremely counter-productive when presenting a face to the public.

      One man's crank is another man's hero.  You have to allow diversity within the written definition of our message.  I would imagine you could keep from having the very worst choices of maintainer by ELECTING him or her.

      By the way, I wonder why there are so few women in the RLC or at least participating. Are there any who post?

      Still, I think such a thing would be incredibly valuable.  Look at the other major 527 groups.  They have blogs, and they're valuable focal-points for spreading the word and attracting attention/new members.

      If they can do it and we can't maybe it says something about us that needs to be changed. Maybe even it explains something about how small we remain when at least 1/4 of Republicans agree with us on major points.

      John P.
      --Jon Henke--
      http://www.qando.net

      --
      I'm a libertarian by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

      http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html