Re: [RLC-Action] Printed Materials

  • Tim Condon
    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 16, 2005
                Without taking anything away from Doug, I've got to weigh in here. I think the slogan below is too all-encompassing for most people. Isn't our government "limited" already? Haven't we always had "free enterprise"? I'd make it more like...

      Low taxes, less government, more individual freedom
      Lower taxes, less government, individual rights
      Lower taxes, less government, more individual freedom
      Low taxes, small government, more freedom

                Something along those lines. Now I'll go back to lurking....       ---Tim Condon

      DGHarrison wrote:
      "Free Enterprise, Individual Freedom & Limited Government"

      I think I understand what you're trying to say, but by saying "limited government" I thought we were talking about it being limited by the Constitution. At the same time, "smaller government" could be just one man, a dictator having no limits whatsoever on his powers. Doesn't seem all that weasely by comparison. Depends on your poison, I guess. The second motto has been used for a lot longer than I've been in the RLC, but I don't know when or where it was first popularized.

      But what about the idea of selling logo mugs, T-shirts, etc. Seems to we could make some money, but I don't know how that equates to being a "non profit organization." The beauty of the website I mentioned is that anyone can use the service, so it wouldn't have to be an official RLC website function, but could be dropped in as a "favorite link" run by someone else. The website allows people to set up a "personal store," from which you just buy your own printed premiums at the company's base price -- i.e., no mark-up, no profit. All state chapters could access the "personal store" and obtain supplies for their own projects, at which time they could sell them for "cost + S&H" and still not endanger their non profit status.

      John Pankratz wrote:
      Even Castro can claim "limited government." it is one of those weasel
      words that means nothing.  How about smaller government?

      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.15/49 - Release Date: 7/14/2005
    • Guy McLendon
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 21, 2005

        Ray,

        I have profound respect for the US Constitution … obviously.  Indeed, I am working to prepare a streaming web video of my recent presentation that applied my thinking on the Constitution to the war on drugs.

        However, I certainly do not believe any human-construct to be perfect, or infallible.  There are a number of flaws that need remedy … I could detail a few.  Sadly, the slime in Washington are not interesting in strengthening the Constitution’s primary function … to impose limits on the power officials.  Indeed, they work fervently to strip sidestep & weave around the constraints so long ignored …  The “flaws” that I reference are holes that have allowed the slime in Washington to weave around the intended legal constraints.

        I also have issues with LP purists, and am hopeful that the 2006 LP Platform Team will probably lean more towards practical solutions, and away from purist proposals.  It will be interesting to see whether we can make the LP’s offering more practical.

        Respectfully,

        Guy