RE: [RLC-Action] WSPQ & State Conventions

  • Adam J Bernay
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 26, 2005
      From: Jeff Palmer
      Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 4:09 PM

      > I'd recommend using whatever version of the Quiz
      > the Advocates is currently offering and not over
      > -analyze or quibble over the specific questions.
      > They tweak the Quiz periodically in response to
      > extensive validation study and know what they're
      > doing.  Remember, the goal is *not* to craft
      > questions which allow people like us to score
      > 100/100, the goal is for the average American to
      > score 50/50 with symmetrical bell curves in each
      > direction.

      I know this is the intent, but I think they've gone off the deep end with
      the current version. I agree, the 95/97 version(s) is/are much better. As
      currently constructed, I think it violates the whole spirit of the Quiz as
      Marshall Fritz (a personal friend and mentor) designed it and instead has
      become a shill for the LP platform.

      > - Sometimes, if time permits, we've let each quiz
      > taker initial his or her dot before it goes on the
      > chart.  This seems to generate further interest as
      > people are keen to bring friends over to show them
      > their dot and encourage them to take the quiz, too.
      > (This seems to work particularly well at Young
      > Republican conventions.)

      Although I've never done this before, from my undergraduate studies in
      communication and human behavior, I would say that not only is this a great
      way to generate interest but it should inculcate a real sense of ownership
      in the whole process. Too few people take personal ownership of their
      ideology; too often it's just "well, this is what the Party thinks." This
      idea would go a distance in cutting that.

      > - RLC-Specific Chart...  With all due respect to
      > the Advocates, I think the version of the WSPQ chart
      > poster which comes with their kit is a bit tacky
      > looking.  Also, the fact that their name is
      > highlighted on it rather than ours confuses our
      > message.

      100% with you on this one.

      > - Don't debate issues with Quiz takers.  It's human
      > nature for individuals who may agree on 9 out of
      > 10 issues to dwell upon the 10th.  Make an effort to
      > discuss the issues on which you agree to reinforce
      > the impression that their views would be at home in
      > the RLC.

      Exactly! In fact, I would encourage you to quote the Reagan 80% rule and
      then concentrate on the issues that bind us together.

      > - Remember the "Ransberger Pivot"...  [Google it]

      For the Google-impaired, go to
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/libertarian/106540

      I would say that this is a brilliant communication method, but my view is
      biased, since Marshall Fritz was partially behind this as well... ;-)

      > - Be prepared for the question, "Where would George
      > Bush fall on the chart?"...  To avoid the impression
      > that the RLC is anti-mainstream GOP, I respond with
      > "Which George W. Bush?  The one *in* office or the
      > one who *ran for* office?" and remind them how Bush
      > originally ran promising to cut government spending,
      > defend the 10th Amendment, fight for school choice,
      > and reduce Clinton's overseas adventurism and strains
      > on the military.  I then say something about how we
      > would identify with the "Traditional Conservative"
      > values of Ronald Reagan or Barry Goldwater.

      These are excellent points and ones we should stress whenever possible.
      Ultimately, in the parlance of GOP history, we're "Goldwater Republicans."

      > - Record the names of all who volunteer, the name
      > of the event, and the dates.  Individuals who work
      > a WSPQ table for 3 separate days in any one year
      > should be submitted for a "Light of Liberty Award"
      > from the Advocates.  (More good PR.)

      One of my projects as GOP Activism Director of the RLC is to create a
      central reference point for these so we can submit a large list of RLCers to
      the Advocates for the Light of Liberty Awards, so hopefully we can milk it
      for as much PR as possible.

      > - And Most Important...  *Follow-up* with every
      > high scoring prospect within a couple days after
      > the conference(!) and submit the contact information
      > to national.

      Importantly, I would stress that personal follow-ups -- both by phone and by
      postal mail -- are given a lot of weight, much more than a simple e-mail.
      People appreciate the personal touch. If they give a phone number,
      definitely call, but you should also always write a personal letter or send
      a personalized card. This reinforces the message.

      Adam

      "Yes, I do have questions. I get to ask them BECAUSE I'M FREE!"
      -- "Bumper of My SUV," Chely Wright
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 26, 2005
        For Guy: Well, I certainly don't want to reinvent anything here. I was just confused by the fact that there are two versions of the quiz -- both on the same website. I errored in thinking that the downloadable version was their latest one, when in fact, it appears that they never updated it. I assumed it was the latest version because of the emphasis on the "open borders." I'm going to continue using the version that we have on our own literature, and hope that Adam has a downloadable copy of it. If not, well, I'll just use the poster and clipboards (plus I wouldn't have to worry about someone walking off with my laptop).

        For Jeff: Thanks for the Gold Mine of helpful hints. Now that's what RLC-Action is all about!

        For Adam: Thanks for checking to see if you've got a downloadable version of the quiz. I'm using Windows 98, if that matters.

        For Everyone Else:
        Keep the ideas coming! I know it will be tough to improve on Jeff's submission, but any little tip would be nice. Perhaps we can collect all these tips and put them in a "How to Operate a WSPQ Booth" file on our yahoo group.

      • Adam J Bernay
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 26, 2005
          Apparently, it didn't make it into the latest version of my computer.
          Sorry.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
            Be cautious when using the Goldwater reference. Many
            older hardcore Republicans can quote his
            anti-religious right sentiments. I even had one person
            ask me if I meant the '64 Goldwater, or the 80's flake
            that he became... Of course I said that I was a
            Goldwater man through and through - I liked both
            versions, needless to say I did not close that sale.

            -Ray

            --- Adam J Bernay <Republican-Liberty@...>
> [...]
            > large list of RLCers to
            > the Advocates for the Light of Liberty Awards, so
            > hopefully we can milk it
            > for as much PR as possible.
            >
            > > - And Most Important... *Follow-up* with every
            > > high scoring prospect within a couple days after
            > > the conference(!) and submit the contact
            > information
            > > to national.
            >
            > Importantly, I would stress that personal follow-ups
            > -- both by phone and by
            > postal mail -- are given a lot of weight, much more
            > than a simple e-mail.
            > People appreciate the personal touch. If they give
            > a phone number,
            > definitely call, but you should also always write a
            > personal letter or send
            > a personalized card. This reinforces the message.
            >

            > Adam
            >
            > "Yes, I do have questions. I get to ask them

            Yahoo! Sports
            http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
              Indeed, I have had the same thought about Goldwater. Rather than saying I am a Goldwater Republican, or even a Reagan Republican, I say, "I am a Ron Paul Republican." People conjure up the parts of Goldwater or Reagan that they either love or despise, and your statement loses presence to pretense. But Rep. Ron Paul is very much a presence.

              I will use the Goldwater Doctrine (shrinking government) and carefully selected quotes, but I do not make generalized statements. The same goes for Reagan, because he has become idolized by some and villainized by others.

              It seems that if you take just the title without stating specifics, people will dig around in their political carpet bags to find the things they wish to believe about the man ... and you, by extension. Whether accurate representations or outright lies, they may not be the same things you've been carrying around in your kit. Better to be specific.

              I like to use Ron Paul because he is a current and active voice for liberty. It is less easy for people to make stuff up about him, because he is here to expose the lies and defend himself. He isn't someone from the past, who "used to think such and such"; he is very much alive and in the news and difficult to ignore.

              So, I want to collect a smattering of the best liberty quotes from all sources and have them as a backdrop to our current presence in the political arena. I need to start a collection of my favorite liberty quotes. If anyone has such lists and would like to share them, please drop them in my private e-mail box at DGHarrison@...

              Ray Holtorf wrote:
              Be cautious when using the Goldwater reference. Many
              older hardcore Republicans can quote his
              anti-religious right sentiments. I even had one person
              ask me if I meant the '64 Goldwater, or the 80's flake
              that he became... Of course I said that I was a
              Goldwater man through and through - I liked both
              versions, needless to say I did not close that sale.

              -Ray

            • John Pankratz
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
                Don't forget that the Party nominated him for President in '64. The
                religious right was behind him then.
                Christians knew he didn't agree with them on religion, but they still
                believed in small government and
                knew he believed in religious liberty. That was enough for them.

                I count myself a member of that kind of "religious right", and that's
                why I continue to say that I'm a
                libertarian because I'm a Christian.

                ......... john p ............

                Ray Holtorf wrote:

                >Be cautious when using the Goldwater reference. Many
                >older hardcore Republicans can quote his
                >anti-religious right sentiments. I even had one person
                >ask me if I meant the '64 Goldwater, or the 80's flake
                >that he became... Of course I said that I was a
                >Goldwater man through and through - I liked both
                >versions, needless to say I did not close that sale.
                >
                >-Ray
                >
                >--- Adam J Bernay <Republican-Liberty@...>

                I'm a libertarian by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

                http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html
              • Adam J Bernay
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
                  Goldwater was the same guy, all throughout, so you can honestly say "the '64
                  Goldwater."

                • michael franks
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
                    Yes, I know many of the "religious right" folks here in Texas often still
                    brag about them having worked for the Goldwater campaign as a badge of
                    honor. From what I have seen, heard, and been around here his name has
                    never really drawn any negative amongst the Texas folks and really has the
                    opposite effect. just my observation here......not for sure about other
                    areas of the country.
                    (of course our party platform in Texas is very liberty oriented anyway and
                    Congressman Paul always mentions how proud he is of party plank here...and
                    wishes the national plank would be the same....and the majority of the
                    15,000 delegates to our state convention are overwhelmingly "religious
                    right"....so limited gov "sells" here among the grass roots of our state
                    party delegates....now if only our elected officials would READ the platform
                    and pass legislation in accordance to it, thats another story ;) )

                    Michael Franks

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
                      John, that makes two of us alike! I am a Christian, but I get pretty
                      tired of being accused of being one, as if that were some
                      disqualification from being a libertarian -- or even a Republican, by
                      some people's rhetoric. Just because I'm a Christian does not mean I am
                      in favor of turning American into a Christian theocracy. Far from it! I
                      may not agree 100% with every libertarian issue, but I agree with the
                      most important one -- that government incursion into the private sector
                      and our private lives is bad.

                      Whether I like or dislike something is irrelevant, because what is
                      relevant is stopping government from deciding for me what I should like
                      or dislike. And, it seems to me, that the GOP has lost track of that
                      most important issue, though the Democratic Party is and has been far
                      more egregious in this regard.

                      I would never meet the litmus tests the LP throws up to ensure purity of
                      thought within its ranks, and I am no "single issue" voter, so the RLC
                      is the perfect home for me. Since our multiparty system of government is
                      effectively a two-party system, I must work with the one that comes
                      closest to my political philosophy, regardless of occasional points of
                      contention, because you can't do anything from the outside looking in.
                      You have to have your feet under the table in order to raise a glass.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005
                        I'm working through what I will need to have on hand for a WSPQ booth at a convention and was wondering how many copies of the WSPQ questionnaire and other literature you think we should take with us. Is there a best guess on how many people will grab a form per 1,000 attendees? I need to figure out a budget for all the materials we'll need. I don't want to have to make copies at a convention hall -- what a rip off! -- but I also need to spend my resources wisely. Suggestions, anyone? Thanks.

                      • Thomas Willenbring
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 27, 2005

                          This is a  off year convention, so I don’t think the turn out will be that high, I bet you can get by wit between 100 and 200 and probably end up bringing some home.  Unless you plan on putting one on every delegate’s chair, but that would probably just turn into a lot of paper on the convention floor.

                          Do you Use MSN Messenger and AOL instant messenger

                          Yahoo Instant Messenger or IQC?  Download IMVITE and you only need to launch 1 aplication to access ALL of the IMs listed above at the same time!

                          http://www.imvite.com/rukbat

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                            Message
                            It's most cost effective to have printing done in volume, so I've always had more than enough materials on hand and had enough left over for subsequent events.  However, figure maybe 25 to 50% of the attendees will take the quiz at a "grown up" GOP convention, perhaps 50 to 75% for a YR convention.  [And, don't forget to round up the "1,000 attendees" for news media, vendors (who disproportionately take the test since they're more often in the vendors' area), and guests.]

                            I got the Advocates' complete "kit" for something like $50 (I think that was a sale price) which included an ample supply of quiz materials for several events.  The Advocates' website has the quiz forms alone for $18 for 1000; that should be more than enough for most events, but I'd be inclined to buy 2000 and have no doubt.

                            The more costly concern will be how much RLC literature to have.  Again, I'd be inclined to print enough to expect to have enough left over for future events...  (Be careful to avoid printing materials with return addresses, etc. which are inclined to become dated.)

                            Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                             * * *
                            Quote of the Week:  “If the rights of the individual are not respected by the group, the group itself cannot exist for long.” -- Jo Stockton (Audrey Hepburn), Funny Face, 1957

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                              Thanks Jeff. I did put an address on the tri-fold that I created for Minnesota, but I haven't printed any copies yet. Maybe I should delete that and just leave a space for a self-inking stamper address or adhesive labels. On the other hand, if the address changes, we wouldn't have to invest time and expense in adhesive labels until necessary. I want folks in different regions of the state to handle their own events, and they might want to use an address closer to their own homes, but I worry about losing control of the mailing list, etc. Still, I am apparently the only one of our group that is pushing the RLC (and it is like pushing a logging chain!), so I used my own home address, for lack of any other. I post office box might work, but I don't want to pay the monthly fees. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for a local address?

                              Right now, I'm concerned about budget because most of the start up costs will be mine alone. I want to put together an RLCMN kit, with our own printed literature and banners, even though that will cost me. I've been considering The Advocates' "kit," but I've been torn by the fact that the MNGOP is very sensitive to "outsiders." I believe that they will be less accepting of the RLCMN if the connection to The Advocates -- and especially to Libertarians (Jesse Ventura left a very sour taste in MNGOP mouths) -- is over-emphasized. I feel like I have to "sanitize" the materials by putting the RLCMN imprimatur on everything. Party politics here is a guarded and cliquish sort of thing, and they move swiftly to quash anything that doesn't come from the top down.

                              In fact, this is one of the problems with the National GOP -- it just doesn't like grassroots folks rocking the boat. And lately, it seems that the entire team is about to mutiny because the GOP continues to take them for granted and fart off their concerns. This entire inability of the GOP to lead when it has control of both chambers and the Oval Office is simply astounding! They are all alone in their incapacity on Capitol Hill, and still they won't listen to the grassroots ... or even the various state organizations. This paralysis comes from a complete disconnect between the so-called Republican "leaders" and the people who sent them to Washington, D.C. Too many people just shut up and let it happen, saying, "Well, they're our leaders. They must know something we don't!"

                              This disconnect exists between the Minnesota state party apparatus and the people in the precincts as well. It is a tough time to be an RLC activist, when even regular Republicans cannot gain the party's ear. So, I don't want to set myself apart from mainstream Minnesota Republicans, as they can only be gently nudged. They are a nervous lot -- like shipmates whose captain and officers have been washed (have jumped?) off the bridge, leaving the ship adrift and floundering in heavy seas. The crew, in a panic, is unable to steer a straight course and is very near to stringing each other up from the yard arms. It almost makes you want to jump overboard and just tread water, as you watch the ship closing in on the hull crushing reef that lies ahead.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                                Message
                                The Advocates' kit includes:

                                - Quiz Forms

                                - Three Charts - I prefer using a sharper looking, laminated RLC/GOP version.

                                - Colored Dots

                                - Quiz Cards - Include the quiz but include further information and the address of the Advocates; may be used in place of the Quiz forms if the forms run out and good for giving to people who want to take copies of the quiz with them.

                                - A Video - Offers instructions and background information for first time users of the Quiz; (and includes a good plug for the RLC, by the way).

                                - Miscellaneous Signs - Unnecessary and kinda cheap looking.

                                I share your concern about minimizing the prominence of the Advocates' name on our materials as it tends to confuse and distract from our message.  I think using our own chart and keeping the Quiz Cards "behind the table" achieves that objective.  I think the Advocates' name is sufficiently subdued on their Quiz Forms (it only appears in the copyright notice).  Instead of getting the whole kit, it would be sufficient to order the Quiz Forms separately and buy your own Dots.  The larger concern is the chart.  Do you have one already?  Let me know if you'd like the graphics file for mine.

                                Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                                 * * *
                                Quote of the Week:  “Prominent environmental figures like Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog, Gaia theorist James Lovelock, and Hugh Montefiore, former Friends of the Earth Leader, have now all stated their strong support for nuclear energy as a practical means of reducing greenhouse gas emissions...  I too place myself squarely in that category.” -- Patrick Moore, Founder of Greenpeace, Testimony before the U.S. House Subcommittee on Energy and Resources, April 28, 2005

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                                  I think it would be good to print my own charts. I could use the graphics file you suggest. What format is it? Just want to make sure that I can deal with it. But then, Kinko's can handle just about anything, Mac or PC, so maybe all I need to do is drop the file onto a floppy and bring it to Kinko's.

                                  I have recreated the LiberGraph in MSPublisher, but I have not placed the circles and crosses to mark the Democrats and Republicans yet. Mainly, I can barely see the graph in it's tiny presentation that is used for the tri-fold brochure, and enlarging it just turns it into pixelated pop art. What I would really like to obtain (or be directed to on our group files) is the 2004 scores for each Congresscritter, so I can add them back to the chart in my infinitely enlargeable format. With that clean version, I might even replace the graphics on my tri-fold brochure, as they will be crystal clear. Too bad the photo of Ron Paul gets pixelated when enlarged (having been a photographer for a good part of my life, I am not very fond of digital cameras, just because enlargements turn into cubist pop art if you push them too far).

                                  Anyway, I'm proceeding with my preparations, and hope to have my act together and some volunteers to go to the State GOP Convention in September this year. I'll be scouting out other venues as well. The Young Republicans already did their thing, and I need to check out other GOP groups. Does anyone have suggestions or a list of likely events where a booth would be worth the effort?

                                  Thanks.

                                  Jeff Palmer wrote:
[...]

                                  On Behalf Of DGHarrison
                                  Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:52 PM
                                  To: RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005

                                      That’s double-talk.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                                        I could say "that's your opinion," but instead I will use a film quote
                                        spoken by the great Sir Alec Guinness:

                                        "You'll find the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view."

                                        Adam

                                        "Yes, I do have questions.  I get to ask them BECAUSE I'M FREE!"
                                           -- "Bumper of My SUV," Chely Wright
                                        >> I'd recommend using whatever version of the Quiz
                                        >> the Advocates is currently offering and not over
                                        >> -analyze or quibble over the specific questions.
                                        >
                                        > I’m 100% with Jeff on this one.  Have you other
                                        > folks ever heard the term “division of labor”?
                                        >
                                        > Why in the world you’d even consider “reinventing
                                        > the wheel” when ASG is already out there promoting
                                        > their quiz is quite beyond me.

                                        This position is, in fact, the opposite of reinventing the wheel.  What
                                        we're objecting to is the Advocates reinventing their own wheel that works
                                        very well and substituting one that doesn't work as well.

                                      • Guy McLendon
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005

                                          Alas, a very good quote …

                                          Sorry to be chit-chatting on this action group.

                                          Guy