Re: [RLC-Action] RE: [RLCFL] Hollywood steals land for developer

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
      I agree with Doug Lorenz. Time is of the essence in this matter. I suggest that as a minimum, we each write Letters to the Editor to several newspapers in our respective areas. The talk shows tend to have their loyal listeners, so calling in to a conservative talk show would be just more preaching to the choir, although if allowed, you could urge listeners to write Letters to the Editors and give them the talking points to work with. I think we also need to call our local Public Radio stations. Usually, Minnesota Public Radio doesn't put conservatives on the line (I've called dozens of times, been put on the waiting list, and never been connected. I stopped calling after the umpteenth time I'd been put on hold for the entire show), but maybe you don't have to present yourself as a conservative on this one. Just let them know you're angry about the ruling of the Supreme Court.

      Ray suggested that a list of a few talking points should be presented. I'll buy that. Has anyone written that list? If so, please share it with us so we all have a head start and a unity of voice. What is our purpose here? Are we trying to say the liberal judges were wrong and the conservative ones right? That's just more partisan bickering and won't really solve the problem, which is that the ruling needs to be overturned. What does it take to get the SCOTUS to say, "Oops!" and reverse itself? Has it ever been done? If so, that's one of the talking points.

      Basically, I think the object here is to get the ruling overturned, not to score political points. Going for the points is like two kids bickering about who spilled the grape juice on the carpet instead of cleaning it up before Mom gets home. They'll both be standing there shouting, "Did not!" "Did too!", while the grape juice stain sets in and becomes impossible to remove. Acting quickly is the key, and never mind who gets the blame or the credit. The blame can be laid at the public's feet after the damage is undone.

      Anyone care to help provide the talking points? We can all take those facts and conclusions and work them into our own letters and dialogues. I must confess that I need some high powered help here getting the facts, but there are judicial scholars amongst us, are there not? Just give me a list of good talking points and I'm off to the races -- today!

      Douglas Lorenz wrote:

      Well, this looks like the rare issue where EVERYONE in the RLC agrees and is profoundly outraged.  However, I haven’t heard anyone offer an action plan outside of Ray’s outline.  I understand how difficult it is to get people active over controversial issues, but there isn’t any controversy here.  We’re all adamantly opposed to the Supreme’s ruling.

      I’m still a bit burnt out after my last few attempts to get people on this list to commit to a course of action, so someone else will have to do the legwork on this one.  The issue is in the media right now, and the clock is ticking.  You only have a few more days of relevance before the public discards this issue as no longer current.

    • Douglas Lorenz
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005

        And you’re not that far from the real source of this atrocity, Connecticut …

        We need a media effort to put Rep. Lindell on as much New England media as possible to get discussion going for his bill.  With all the people we have in New Hampshire , they should be able to find a representative to do the same in their neighborhood.

        I have already filed a bill in the State Legislature to make sure eminent domain is only used for building new public byways and subject to judicial review.

        Rep. Ken Lindell

        Frankfort, Maine

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
          If you've got the stomach, here's a link to a PDF file of the majority opinion. Common sense and Justice O'Connor's dissent starts on page 27. I'm going to begin reading it now to search for the "talking points" but I could use some assistance from anyone else who has read it or who is about to read it. Thanks.

          <http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/23jun20051201/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-108.pdf>
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
            All good ideas.  However, I'd suggest also taking the Institute for Justice's advice and taking the fight to the state-level.  Also, we should commend Rep. Ken Lindell for his proposed legislation in Maine(!!) and trumpet it nationwide as a model.  I've already begun doing so.  [Are you an RLC member, Ken?  Do you have a link to the proposed legislation?]

            Jeff Palmer - jap@...
             * * *

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
              [...]Are you an RLC member, Ken? [...]

              I'll just note that RLC-Action is an RLC member's only list. :)

              Thomas
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                <http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/23jun20051201/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-108.pdf>
                From the ruling (page 27): In February 1998, Pfizer Inc., the pharmaceuticals manufacturer, announced that it would build a global research facility near the Fort Trumbull neighborhood. Two months later, New London's city council gave initial approval for the New London Development Corporation (NLDC) to prepare the development plan at issue here. The NLDC is a private, nonprofit corporation whose mission is to assist the city council in economic development planning. It is not elected by popular vote, and its directors and employees are privately appointed. Consistent with its mandate, the NLDC generated an ambitious plan for redeveloping 90 acres of Fort Trumbull in order to "complement the facility that Pfizer was planning to build, create jobs, increase tax and other revenues, encourage public access to and use of the city's waterfront, and eventually 'build momentum' for the revitalization of the rest of the city." App. to Pet. for Cert. 5.
                Robber Barons!
                That should make a good 'talking point,' more like a 'shouting point!'

                It would seem that another course of action, besides an attack on the ignorant Supreme Court justices, would be to attack the underlying culprit -- Pfizer Inc. A national boycott of Pfizer should get their attention. It wouldn't do much good to attack NLDC, but maybe they need to hear from the rest of the nation as well <http://www.nldc.org/>.

                So, besides writing Letters to the Editor, may I suggest that we go after the corporate juggler that is responsible for this mess? We had the same damned thing happen right here in Bloomington (suburb of Minneapolis) when Best Buy wanted to build itself a nice new shiny glass and steel headquarters building. If we don't start going after the perpetrators, they'll just keep on doing what Robber Barons do best -- take what they can and shoot the rest. Folks, we're the buffalo here, and the robber barons have their NLDC scouts with their muzzleloaders aimed at our hearts. It's time for an uprising!

                Here are some of the links you'll need to communicate why you're boycotting Pfizer. Let them know you're angry, and that as a customer of theirs, you do not approve of their piracy of other people's private lands. Pfizer's Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer is Hank McKinnell. I'm sure he'd love to hear from all of us and our friends.

                http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/do/index.jsp
                http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/are/mn_about_all.jsp
                http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/subsites/corporate_citizenship/index.jsp
                http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/subsites/philanthropy/caring/index.jsp

                Make a note of all the products that Pfizer sells and avoid them if possible (prescription drugs may not allow you an option).

                Dietary Supplement Products

                     Unicap M
                     Unicap Sr
                     Unicap T
                Hari Care Products
                     Progaine 2-in-1 Shampoo
                     Progaine Deep Cleansing Shampoo
                     Progaine Volumizing Foam
                     Progaine Volumizing Shampoo
                     Progaine Weightless Conditioner
                Oral Care Products
                     Fresh'n Brite
                     Listermint
                     Listerine Essential Care Toothpaste Gel
                     Listerine Essential Care Toothpaste
                     Listerine Essential Care Tarter Control Toothpast
                     Effergrip Denture Adhesive
                Skin Care Products
                     Lubriderm Body Bar
                     Corn Huskers Lotion
                     Pacquin Plus Dry Skin
                     Pacquin Skin Cream Plus with Aloe
                     Pacquin Medicated Hand and Body
                Other Products
                     Gelusil Antacid - Anti Gas Tablets 100's
                     Three Flowers Brilliantine (Tres Flores)
                     Three Flowers Brilliantine Solid
                     Myadec Tablets
                     Luden's Honey Licorice
                     Luden's Menthol
                     Luden's Sugar Free
                Key Pfizer Pharmaceutical Products
                    Aricept0 (donepezil hydrochloride tablets)
                    Bextra (valdecoxib)
                    Celebrex (celecoxib)
                    Diflucan (fluconazole)
                    Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) tablets
                    Neurontin (gabapentin)
                    Norvasc (amlodipine besylate)
                    Relpax (eletriptan HBr)
                    Viagra (sildenafil citrate) tablets
                    Viracept (nelfinavir mesylate)
                    Xalatan (latanoprost ophthalmic solution)
                    Zithromax (azithromycin)
                    Zoloft (sertraline HCI)
                    Zyrtec (certirizine HCI)
                Key Pfizer Consumer Health Care Products
                    Benadryl
                    Cortizone
                    Desitin
                    e.p.t.
                    Listerine
                    Lubriderm
                    Neosporin
                    Purell
                    Rogaine
                    Rolaids
                    Sudafed
                    Visine
                    Zantac
                Key Pfizer Animal Health Products
                    Clavamox/Synulox
                    Equimax
                    Naxcel/Excenel
                    Rimadyl
                    Dectomax
                    Respisure/Stellamune
                    Revolution/Stronghold

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                  >If you've got the stomach, here's a
                  ><http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/23jun20051201/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-108.pdf>link
                  >to a PDF file of the majority opinion. Common sense and Justice
                  >O'Connor's dissent starts on page 27. I'm going to begin reading it
                  >now to search for the "talking points" but I could use some
                  >assistance from anyone else who has read it or who is about to read
                  >it. Thanks.

                  Thomas has a particularly good argument in his dissent, commenting on
                  the fact that the majority opinion is based not on the Constitution
                  but on a string of prior decisions which move farther and farther
                  from the wording and intent of the 5th Amendment.

                  Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
                  http://www.elitistpig.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                    >[Are you an RLC member, Ken? Do you have a link to the proposed legislation?]

                    Just because he's actually gotten elected you should just assume he's
                    not in the RLC...

                    Plus I'm pretty sure I remember some talk about him on the RLC list
                    when he was running a while back.

                    Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
                    http://www.elitistpig.com
                  • Tim Condon

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                        I have just finished sending e-mails to every single state representative, state senator, the governor, and lt. governor of the State of Minnesota. We, too, are in special session, but I am skeptical about whether they will address this critical issue at this time. They are something like 7 days out from a government shut down, due to a partisan impasse on the state's budget. They have appointed a special judge to decide what emergency services will remain operating. Frankly, I am very pleased that the government will be shut down. For each day it is not operating, taxpayers get a reprieve from supporting the ne'er-do-anything entitlement class.

                      • R. Kenneth Lindell CEBS, CFP
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 27, 2005

                          Yes, I’m the State RLC contact.  I’m also a former LP natcom member (I quit when I figured out how kooky the LP had become.)

                          We are working on chartering a State RLC this summer.

                          State Representative R. Kenneth Lindell

                          House District 41 – Frankfort