Re: [RLC-Action] RE: [RLCFL] Hollywood steals land for developer

  • Barry Moore
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
      From what I can tell, EVERY local talk show in the DFW area is talking about it,
      and excoriating the ruling.

      Ray Holtorf <rayholtorf@...> wrote:
      In my opinion, and I know this is not action, so bear
      with me, each of these individual fights are nothing
      more than a distraction. None of this will matter if
      we get two more 'Clarence Thomas justices' on the
      Supreme Court.

      The last two rulings are tremendous for "our" side
      because they both stick a finger in the eye of
      conservative and liberal alike.
      1. Liberals want pot and conservatives want states to
      have autonomy.
      2. Both liberals and conservatives want to actually
      own their property.

      We have two outrageous rulings from the Supremes. WHat
      we need to do is point out that those supported by
      President Bush voted on the side of the American
      people both times (with the exception of Scalia on
      pot), while those supported by Clinton / Schumer /
      Kennedy and Durbin voted to take away pot and a
      state's autonomy.

      You can't fight this battle at the local level - get
      site of the big picture. Use Hitler-style propoganda
      technics. Come up with a simple message, with very
      feww points, and repeat them over and over. Then we
      will earn landslide support for someone like Thomas.

      Want to take action? Come up with a list of three or
      four simple points on why these rulings are bad, and
      why Republicans have the right idea when it comes to
      freedom (OK OK that might be sic, but let's work with
      it).

      Then we can get ahold of local LP folks, and RP
      organizations, and have EVERYONE start to hit the
      message HARD - call every radio talk show you can
      find...

      Ray Holtorf - Iowa

      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-scra22jun22,0,
      > > 2705761.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines
      > >
      > > This should be priority one to outlaw the use of
      > eminent domain to
      > > transfer private property from one owner to
      > another.  If the developer
      > > wants the land he needs to pay enough to the owner
      > that they want to
      > > sell.
      > >
      > > Instead of just talking the RLC should work to get
      > an amendment of the
      > > next ballot to outlaw this in the Florida
      > constitution.

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Douglas Lorenz
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005

        Well, this looks like the rare issue where EVERYONE in the RLC agrees and is profoundly outraged.  However, I haven’t heard anyone offer an action plan outside of Ray’s outline.  I understand how difficult it is to get people active over controversial issues, but there isn’t any controversy here.  We’re all adamantly opposed to the Supreme’s ruling.

        I’m still a bit burnt out after my last few attempts to get people on this list to commit to a course of action, so someone else will have to do the legwork on this one.  The issue is in the media right now, and the clock is ticking.  You only have a few more days of relevance before the public discards this issue as no longer current.

        --- Jeff Palmer <jap@...> wrote:

        > Michael is absolutely correct that eminent domain is
        > an ideal issue for us.
        > Below, I've attached  an e-mail from the Institute
        > for Justice (who pursued
        > the case to the U.S. Supre me Court) which affirms
        > Mike's strategy of taking
        > the fight to the state-level.
        >
        > [Note to RLC-Action:  Discussion of strategy &
        > tactics would be in order.
        > Discussion of the merits of eminent domain should be
        > take to RLC-Discuss.]
        >
        > Jeff Palmer - jap@...
        >  * * *
        > Quote of the Week:  “If the rights of the individual
        > are not respected by
        > the group, the group itself cannot exist for long.”
        > -- Jo Stockton (Audrey
        > Hepburn), Funny Face, 1957

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
          I agree with Doug Lorenz. Time is of the essence in this matter. I suggest that as a minimum, we each write Letters to the Editor to several newspapers in our respective areas. The talk shows tend to have their loyal listeners, so calling in to a conservative talk show would be just more preaching to the choir, although if allowed, you could urge listeners to write Letters to the Editors and give them the talking points to work with. I think we also need to call our local Public Radio stations. Usually, Minnesota Public Radio doesn't put conservatives on the line (I've called dozens of times, been put on the waiting list, and never been connected. I stopped calling after the umpteenth time I'd been put on hold for the entire show), but maybe you don't have to present yourself as a conservative on this one. Just let them know you're angry about the ruling of the Supreme Court.

          Ray suggested that a list of a few talking points should be presented. I'll buy that. Has anyone written that list? If so, please share it with us so we all have a head start and a unity of voice. What is our purpose here? Are we trying to say the liberal judges were wrong and the conservative ones right? That's just more partisan bickering and won't really solve the problem, which is that the ruling needs to be overturned. What does it take to get the SCOTUS to say, "Oops!" and reverse itself? Has it ever been done? If so, that's one of the talking points.

          Basically, I think the object here is to get the ruling overturned, not to score political points. Going for the points is like two kids bickering about who spilled the grape juice on the carpet instead of cleaning it up before Mom gets home. They'll both be standing there shouting, "Did not!" "Did too!", while the grape juice stain sets in and becomes impossible to remove. Acting quickly is the key, and never mind who gets the blame or the credit. The blame can be laid at the public's feet after the damage is undone.

          Anyone care to help provide the talking points? We can all take those facts and conclusions and work them into our own letters and dialogues. I must confess that I need some high powered help here getting the facts, but there are judicial scholars amongst us, are there not? Just give me a list of good talking points and I'm off to the races -- today!

          Douglas Lorenz wrote:

          Well, this looks like the rare issue where EVERYONE in the RLC agrees and is profoundly outraged.  However, I haven’t heard anyone offer an action plan outside of Ray’s outline.  I understand how difficult it is to get people active over controversial issues, but there isn’t any controversy here.  We’re all adamantly opposed to the Supreme’s ruling.

          I’m still a bit burnt out after my last few attempts to get people on this list to commit to a course of action, so someone else will have to do the legwork on this one.  The issue is in the media right now, and the clock is ticking.  You only have a few more days of relevance before the public discards this issue as no longer current.

        • R. Kenneth Lindell CEBS, CFP
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005

            I have already filed a bill in the State Legislature to make sure eminent domain is only used for building new public byways and subject to judicial review.

            Rep. Ken Lindell

            Frankfort, Maine

            --- Jeff Palmer <jap@...> wrote:

            > Michael is absolutely correct that eminent domain is
            > an ideal issue for us.
            > Below, I've attached  an e-mail from the Institute
            > for Justice (who pursued
            > the case to the U.S. Supre me Court) which affirms
            > Mike's strategy of taking
            > the fight to the state-level.
            >
            > [Note to RLC-Action:  Discussion of strategy &
            > tactics would be in order.
            > Discussion of the merits of eminent domain should be
            > take to RLC-Discuss.]
            >
            > Jeff Palmer - jap@...
            >  * * *
            > Quote of the Week:  “If the rights of the individual
            > are not respected by
            > the group, the group itself cannot exist for long.”
            > -- Jo Stockton (Audrey
            > Hepburn), Funny Face, 1957

            === message truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Douglas Lorenz
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005

              And you’re not that far from the real source of this atrocity, Connecticut …

              We need a media effort to put Rep. Lindell on as much New England media as possible to get discussion going for his bill.  With all the people we have in New Hampshire , they should be able to find a representative to do the same in their neighborhood.

              --- Jeff Palmer <jap@...> wrote:

              > Michael is absolutely correct that eminent domain is
              > an ideal issue for us.
              > Below, I've attached  an e-mail from the Institute
              > for Justice (who pursued
              > the case to the U.S. Supre me Court) which affirms
              > Mike's strategy of taking
              > the fight to the state-level.
              >
              > [Note to RLC-Action:  Discussion of strategy &
              > tactics would be in order.
              > Discussion of the merits of eminent domain should be
              > take to RLC-Discuss.]
              >
              > Jeff Palmer - jap@...
              >  * * *
              > Quote of the Week:  “If the rights of the individual
              > are not respected by
              > the group, the group itself cannot exist for long.”
              > -- Jo Stockton (Audrey
              > Hepburn), Funny Face, 1957

              === message truncated ===

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                If you've got the stomach, here's a link to a PDF file of the majority opinion. Common sense and Justice O'Connor's dissent starts on page 27. I'm going to begin reading it now to search for the "talking points" but I could use some assistance from anyone else who has read it or who is about to read it. Thanks.

                <http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/23jun20051201/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-108.pdf>
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                  All good ideas.  However, I'd suggest also taking the Institute for Justice's advice and taking the fight to the state-level.  Also, we should commend Rep. Ken Lindell for his proposed legislation in Maine(!!) and trumpet it nationwide as a model.  I've already begun doing so.  [Are you an RLC member, Ken?  Do you have a link to the proposed legislation?]

                  Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                   * * *

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                    [...]Are you an RLC member, Ken? [...]

                    I'll just note that RLC-Action is an RLC member's only list. :)

                    Thomas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                      <http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/23jun20051201/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-108.pdf>
                      From the ruling (page 27): In February 1998, Pfizer Inc., the pharmaceuticals manufacturer, announced that it would build a global research facility near the Fort Trumbull neighborhood. Two months later, New London's city council gave initial approval for the New London Development Corporation (NLDC) to prepare the development plan at issue here. The NLDC is a private, nonprofit corporation whose mission is to assist the city council in economic development planning. It is not elected by popular vote, and its directors and employees are privately appointed. Consistent with its mandate, the NLDC generated an ambitious plan for redeveloping 90 acres of Fort Trumbull in order to "complement the facility that Pfizer was planning to build, create jobs, increase tax and other revenues, encourage public access to and use of the city's waterfront, and eventually 'build momentum' for the revitalization of the rest of the city." App. to Pet. for Cert. 5.
                      Robber Barons!
                      That should make a good 'talking point,' more like a 'shouting point!'

                      It would seem that another course of action, besides an attack on the ignorant Supreme Court justices, would be to attack the underlying culprit -- Pfizer Inc. A national boycott of Pfizer should get their attention. It wouldn't do much good to attack NLDC, but maybe they need to hear from the rest of the nation as well <http://www.nldc.org/>.

                      So, besides writing Letters to the Editor, may I suggest that we go after the corporate juggler that is responsible for this mess? We had the same damned thing happen right here in Bloomington (suburb of Minneapolis) when Best Buy wanted to build itself a nice new shiny glass and steel headquarters building. If we don't start going after the perpetrators, they'll just keep on doing what Robber Barons do best -- take what they can and shoot the rest. Folks, we're the buffalo here, and the robber barons have their NLDC scouts with their muzzleloaders aimed at our hearts. It's time for an uprising!

                      Here are some of the links you'll need to communicate why you're boycotting Pfizer. Let them know you're angry, and that as a customer of theirs, you do not approve of their piracy of other people's private lands. Pfizer's Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer is Hank McKinnell. I'm sure he'd love to hear from all of us and our friends.

                      http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/do/index.jsp
                      http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/are/mn_about_all.jsp
                      http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/subsites/corporate_citizenship/index.jsp
                      http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/subsites/philanthropy/caring/index.jsp

                      Make a note of all the products that Pfizer sells and avoid them if possible (prescription drugs may not allow you an option).

                      Dietary Supplement Products

                           Unicap M
                           Unicap Sr
                           Unicap T
                      Hari Care Products
                           Progaine 2-in-1 Shampoo
                           Progaine Deep Cleansing Shampoo
                           Progaine Volumizing Foam
                           Progaine Volumizing Shampoo
                           Progaine Weightless Conditioner
                      Oral Care Products
                           Fresh'n Brite
                           Listermint
                           Listerine Essential Care Toothpaste Gel
                           Listerine Essential Care Toothpaste
                           Listerine Essential Care Tarter Control Toothpast
                           Effergrip Denture Adhesive
                      Skin Care Products
                           Lubriderm Body Bar
                           Corn Huskers Lotion
                           Pacquin Plus Dry Skin
                           Pacquin Skin Cream Plus with Aloe
                           Pacquin Medicated Hand and Body
                      Other Products
                           Gelusil Antacid - Anti Gas Tablets 100's
                           Three Flowers Brilliantine (Tres Flores)
                           Three Flowers Brilliantine Solid
                           Myadec Tablets
                           Luden's Honey Licorice
                           Luden's Menthol
                           Luden's Sugar Free
                      Key Pfizer Pharmaceutical Products
                          Aricept0 (donepezil hydrochloride tablets)
                          Bextra (valdecoxib)
                          Celebrex (celecoxib)
                          Diflucan (fluconazole)
                          Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) tablets
                          Neurontin (gabapentin)
                          Norvasc (amlodipine besylate)
                          Relpax (eletriptan HBr)
                          Viagra (sildenafil citrate) tablets
                          Viracept (nelfinavir mesylate)
                          Xalatan (latanoprost ophthalmic solution)
                          Zithromax (azithromycin)
                          Zoloft (sertraline HCI)
                          Zyrtec (certirizine HCI)
                      Key Pfizer Consumer Health Care Products
                          Benadryl
                          Cortizone
                          Desitin
                          e.p.t.
                          Listerine
                          Lubriderm
                          Neosporin
                          Purell
                          Rogaine
                          Rolaids
                          Sudafed
                          Visine
                          Zantac
                      Key Pfizer Animal Health Products
                          Clavamox/Synulox
                          Equimax
                          Naxcel/Excenel
                          Rimadyl
                          Dectomax
                          Respisure/Stellamune
                          Revolution/Stronghold

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                        >If you've got the stomach, here's a
                        ><http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/23jun20051201/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-108.pdf>link
                        >to a PDF file of the majority opinion. Common sense and Justice
                        >O'Connor's dissent starts on page 27. I'm going to begin reading it
                        >now to search for the "talking points" but I could use some
                        >assistance from anyone else who has read it or who is about to read
                        >it. Thanks.

                        Thomas has a particularly good argument in his dissent, commenting on
                        the fact that the majority opinion is based not on the Constitution
                        but on a string of prior decisions which move farther and farther
                        from the wording and intent of the 5th Amendment.

                        Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
                        http://www.elitistpig.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                          >[Are you an RLC member, Ken? Do you have a link to the proposed legislation?]

                          Just because he's actually gotten elected you should just assume he's
                          not in the RLC...

                          Plus I'm pretty sure I remember some talk about him on the RLC list
                          when he was running a while back.

                          Tasty Thoughts from the Elitist Pig
                          http://www.elitistpig.com
                        • Tim Condon

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 24, 2005
                              I have just finished sending e-mails to every single state representative, state senator, the governor, and lt. governor of the State of Minnesota. We, too, are in special session, but I am skeptical about whether they will address this critical issue at this time. They are something like 7 days out from a government shut down, due to a partisan impasse on the state's budget. They have appointed a special judge to decide what emergency services will remain operating. Frankly, I am very pleased that the government will be shut down. For each day it is not operating, taxpayers get a reprieve from supporting the ne'er-do-anything entitlement class.

                            • R. Kenneth Lindell CEBS, CFP
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 27, 2005

                                Yes, I’m the State RLC contact.  I’m also a former LP natcom member (I quit when I figured out how kooky the LP had become.)

                                We are working on chartering a State RLC this summer.

                                State Representative R. Kenneth Lindell

                                House District 41 – Frankfort