Action Item

  • Joe Haynes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2005
      I don't know how many of you subscribe to Citizen Outreach by Chuck
      Muth, but here is an action item that may be of interest.

      I will be cross posting this into the other RLC and libertarian
      groups, so I apologize ahead of time for the duplication.

      Joe Haynes
      Seminole, FL

      _______________________

      BRUSHFIRE ALERT
      JUNE 18, 2005
      _______________________

      *************************
      BANNING GARAGE DOORS?
      June 18, 2005

      Is there nothing busy-body elected officials won't try to control in
      the daily lives of free citizens? Apparently not in Franklin,
      Tennessee, where 5 out of 9 elected leaders just voted for an
      ordinance banning the construction of new homes with garage doors
      located in the front of the house. I kid you not.

      "The front door of the house shall take precedence over automobile
      storage," the proposed ordinance reads. And according to reporter
      Nellan Mettee at Tennessean.com
      (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050616/COUNTY09/506160413/1001),
      Alderman Dennis Phillips, the chief proponent of the measure, says
      "houses should emphasize the people living in them, not the cars these
      people drive." His proposal would force new homes to be built with
      garages located on the side of the house or in the back for "aesthetic
      reasons."

      The ordinance must pass through three readings. The second is
      scheduled for July 12th. Perhaps these local government "control
      freaks" need to hear how ridiculous they're making themselves look
      around the rest of the country.

      BRUSHFIRE ALERT: Here's the contact information for the Franklin
      elected officials:

      Dennis Phillips, Alderman at Large
      118 Hampsted Lane
      Franklin, TN 37069
      Phone: (615) 794-3911
      Fax: (615) 790-0469
      Email: dennisphillips@...

      Pam Lewis, Alderman at Large
      4081 Columbia Avenue
      Franklin, TN 37064
      Phone: (615) 791-6170
      Fax: (615) 320-1061
      Email: pam.lewis@...

      Robert Kriebel, Alderman at Large
      1018 West Main Street
      Franklin, TN 37064
      Fax: (615) 790-0469
      Email: robertkriebel@...

      Ernie Bacon, Alderman at Large
      224 Fourth Avenue South
      Franklin, TN 37064
      Phone: (615) 791-8485
      Fax: (615) 791-8452
      Email: ebacon224@...

      Dan Klatt, 4th Ward Alderman
      214 Third Avenue South
      Franklin, TN 37064
      Phone: (615) 794-0019
      Fax: (615) 595-1603
      Email: klattman@...

      Chuck Edmondson, 3rd Ward Alderman
      404 Orchid Trail
      Franklin, TN 37064
      Phone: (615) 599-0024
      Email: cbe@...

      Dana McLendon, 2nd Ward Alderman
      400 Cannonade Circle
      Franklin, TN 37064
      Phone: (615) 790-2441
      Fax: (615) 794-7637
      Email: danamclendon@...

      Tom Feuerborn, 1st Ward Alderman
      3017 Liberty Hills Drive
      Franklin, TN 37067
      Phone: (615) 791-8507
      Email: coltomf@...

      Mayor Tom Miller
      mayor@...

      = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

      PUBLISHED BY:
      Chuck Muth
      1315 Wilson Point Road
      Middle River, MD 21220
      (410) 391-7408
      E-mail: chuck@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2005
        I have long lamented the passing of "community friendly" architecture,
        in which neighbors see each other almost daily from their front porches.
        It's a by-gone era, though, brought to a close by the automobile.

        It used to be that poor folks built house-barns, in which they kept
        their livestock and themselves, out of a need to conserve labor and
        materials when building and also to share the heat gain in winter from
        all those hot bovine bodies under one roof. Of course, when folks got
        wealthy enough, they built separate buildings for the animals. This
        improved the air quality in the house, and reduced the noise level as
        well (I once stayed in the Philippines in a bamboo nippa hut with a
        corragated tin roof. The family's hogs, which I could see through the
        bamboo floor, were quite vocal when they got amorous. It didn't smell so
        bad, unless it rained, and it rained in the P.I. at 4:00 p.m. every day).

        When horses and carriages were the main mode of transportation, rich
        folks built mansions for themselves, cottages for the hired help, and
        stables for the animals. The cottages and stables were usually in close
        proximity, and both were kept a respectable distance from the house.
        When the rich folks received guests, they'd arrive at the stately front
        door, and the hired help would escort the horses back down to the
        stables. Folks knew a guy was rich because of the wide expanses of
        manicured lawn and the miles of white board horse fences that ran
        alongside the road.

        Today, our homes have been adapted to accommodate a new mode of
        transportation -- the automobile. At first, garages were (and some still
        are) built separate from the house. Perhaps it was out of habit that
        they built the stable separate from the house, and I suppose the exhaust
        fumes were just too hard to air out in the wintertime. Anyway, we soon
        developed cleaner cars and started building the garages either with
        breeze ways connecting them to the house, or attached outright to the
        house. It didn't take long before the one-car garage was made to look
        poor by folks who built two-car garages, then three- and four-car
        garages. Nowadays, folks assume the wealthy are the ones with the garage
        complexes that make the house look puny by comparison. You drive into
        modern community developments, and all you see are garage doors.
        Sometimes you have to search for the front entrance.

        But let's be honest -- the front entrance isn't what it used to be.
        Folks hardly knock on the door anymore. Oh, maybe the postman, the
        occasional salesman, or a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses, but not much else
        by way of socializing. Front porches are gone. Most people don't need
        'em, and most don't want 'em. No one's sittin' out on the porch to cool
        off, where maybe they can wave at passers by, chirping friendly
        greetings as they go. No, people are all inside, enjoying their central
        air conditioning, or maybe they're not home yet, stuck in traffic or
        working extra hours to pay for the boat they put behind Garage Door
        Number Four.

        Nobody knows their neighbors much anymore. They drive home and hit their
        remote control button before they even finish their turn into the
        driveway. They glide up into the maw of the garage and click the button
        again. The neighbors probably didn't even noticed who has come and gone.
        Nobody really knows anybody anymore. We're all isolated in on our own
        private property, leading our own private lives.

        But that's all a lot of folks want to do. And it's their right.

        A town ordinance that says you can't build your stable next to your
        house is an invasion into a person's private affairs. Whose business is
        it anyway whether you know your neighbor or not. Surely, neighbors can
        think of other ways to get to know each other. All it takes is a chat
        over the back fence or a knock on the front door, maybe with a fresh
        baked blueberry pie, made from berries you picked right out of your own
        landscaping. I don't have ornamentals -- they're all fruit trees and
        berry bushes -- and I made all my neighbors cherry jelly, from my
        homegrown cherries. So I know my neighbors, not from passively sitting
        on my porch watching the parade of life go by, but from making an effort
        to go and greet them.

        Maybe the city leaders in Franklin, Tennessee should encourage block
        parties instead of blocking the kinds of homes people build. Instead,
        they say no garage doors may face the front of the property, and only
        the front door can be the main point of attraction. Okay, I live on a
        corner lot, so I can comply. But what're my neighbors on either side of
        me going to do? We don't have alleys behind our houses here. City
        planners laid out the roads, and it just isn't possible to move all the
        garage doors around back. Seems like the city leaders in Franklin will
        have to come up with a whole new street grid for their town. I wonder if
        they'll resort to eminent domain, chopping peoples back yards in half,
        in order to put in alleys.

        I suppose that'll be the next bone-headed ordinance to come out of
        Franklin, Tennessee.
      • John Pankratz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2005
          DG,

          I read your whole post. Starting out I was wondering if this was your
          doctoral disseration in urban anthropology.
          By the time I read about the pies I understood what you were talking about.

          If a person buys property in a restricted area where the subdivider has
          placed limitations on what the buyer can do with
          his land, that is one thing. Only those who agree will buy. When
          government officials decree such things for existing landholders that
          is something else entirely. It seems to me that the city fathers will
          be demanding alleys or else much larger lots for future subdivisions. I
          can't see
          how they can make it stick for existing subdivisions.

          This shows one major defect in representative government. Somehow there
          are a few people who really get satisfaction out of
          controlling others, and they make a life's work about gaining positions
          where they can do what they enjoy. It would be great
          if elected officials didn't fancy themselves as being the arbitors of
          taste and truth for the rest of us.

          Here in south Texas there was a story on the local news last night. A
          poor fellow with medical problems that make him use
          a positive pressure device when he sleeps moved onto his rural land with
          a large travel trailer. It is his only home. Because he
          doesn't have running water the County won't let the power company
          connect his electricity. He is using car batteries and an
          inverter to power his positive pressure breathing device. The County
          says their policy is to ensure that citizens will have a better
          life style. Explain how they are helping that poor fellow live a
          better lifestyle.

          I live in the country with a few other houses nearby. My house has a 40
          foot porch and a detached garage.
          We have a variety of neighbors, most of whom we know pretty well. I
          guess we're exceptions, you and I.

          John P.

          --
          I'm a libertarian by logical necessity because I'm a Christian.

          http://www.theadvocates.org/christian/thies.html
        • Tim Condon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2005
            John Pankratz wrote:

            >This shows one major defect in representative government. Somehow there are a few people who really get satisfaction out of controlling others, and they make a life's work about gaining positions where they can do what they enjoy.

            Truer words were never spoken. The fact is, those of us who
            *don't* want to order other people around are an increasingly small
            minority in America. The solution? Concentrate our numbers. Check it
            out: www.freestateproject.org.
            ------Tim Condon
          • John David Galt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2005
              DGHarrison wrote:
              > I have long lamented the passing of "community friendly" architecture,
              > in which neighbors see each other almost daily from their front porches.
              > It's a by-gone era, though, brought to a close by the automobile.

              That (and car-hatred) are exactly the feelings of the "smart"-growthers
              who promote these bans on so-called "snout" houses. Their goal is to
              take away as much as possible of the convenience and efficiency we've
              paid for by buying cars.

              It is not the proper business of government to dictate how people should
              use transportation, how we should use our homes, or how much we should
              interact with our neighbors. This movement needs to be CRUSHED!