FYI: Support Hinchey-Rohrabacher bill

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2005
      The RLC National Board has endorsed the Hinchey-
      Rohrabacher bill, signing on to a coalition letter in support.
      Please do what you can to communicate with your federal
      legislators.

      We’re sending out an alert Monday morning urging our supporters to call
      Congress in support of the Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment. Feel free to use the
      text below for an alert to your lists, friends, etc.

      -Bill Piper, Drug Policy Alliance

      ******

      SUBJECT: Urgent: Call Congress TODAY!

      Congress will vote on an amendment this week (possibly Tuesday afternoon)
      that would protect cancer, AIDS and other patients who use marijuana for
      medical reasons from federal prosecution. Lawmakers need to hear that their
      constituents demand protection for sick people, so call your Representative as soon
      as possible and forward this alert to everyone you know.

      What to Do: Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. Ask to speak to
      your Representative. If you’re not sure who represents you, the operator can
      tell you. You can also look up your Representative at www.house.gov by entering
      your zip code at the top.

      What to Say: Once the operator transfers you to your Representative’s
      office, give the person that answers the phone the following message: “Hi, I’m a
      constituent. I’m calling to urge my Representative to vote for the
      Hinchey-Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment to the Justice spending bill, which will
      be voted on this week. I would also like him (or her) to send me a letter
      letting me know how he (or she) voted. This issue is very important to me.”
      (Hinchey-Rohrabacher is pronounced Hinchee Roy Bocker.)

      Then forward this alert to friends, family, etc.

      MORE INFORMATION:

      On Monday, June 6th the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that the federal
      government has the authority to prosecute medical marijuana patients and their
      caregivers, even in states where marijuana is legal for medical use. The
      Majority, which expressed sympathy for medical marijuana patients, declared that it
      was up to Congress to change federal law to protect sick and dying patients.
      When the U.S. House of Representatives considers a Justice Department funding
      bill this week Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-22nd/NY) and Congressman Dana
      Rohrabacher (R-46th/CA) will offer a bi-partisan amendment on the House floor
      prohibiting the Justice Department and DEA from spending any money
      undermining state medical marijuana laws. 148 Representatives voted for a similar
      amendment last year - 70% of Democrats and 19 Republicans.

      The amendment would not prevent the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
      from arresting people using, growing, or selling marijuana for recreational
      use. Nor would it prevent the DEA from arresting patients for medical marijuana
      in states that have not approved it. It simply prevents the federal
      government from arresting cancer, AIDS, and other patients who use marijuana for
      medical reasons in states that allow it.

      Please urge your U.S. Representative to support the Hinchey-Rohrabacher
      medical marijuana amendment to the Justice Department spending bill by calling
      the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121.