Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Media Contact Database

  • C.B.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      westmiller@... wrote:
      > From: "Chuck Seberg" <pusherprop3@...>
      > > My other concerns still stand.
      >
      > You're correct about a direct import from csv to SQL: the fields and
      > types do have to match. However, there are dozens of programming
      > methods aside from those two facilities that can be used to make a
      > conversion of the field structure, type and sequence for all records
      > from one to the other.
      > Having said that, I don't have the time to convert my existing
      > media database to either Yahoo! DB or SQL.

      It's easily done--export it to a comma-delimited file,
      then import it. All the character fields will be char
      fields. It shouldn't take more than an hour, tops.

      > There are over 800
      > records in FoxPro (dBase) DBF format, but mostly with emails only.
      > Here's my structure, which may be useful in deciding on fields:

      The number of records isn't relevant to how much time
      or trouble it would take, unless they contain illegal
      characters, like commas.

      --
      /"\ ||
      \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN || Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005

        Great!

        How long do you think it would take to develop a front end for the database?

             Doug

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Mike Bryant wrote:

          > If it helps at all, I will be happy to host the database on my company's server.
          > This would be a 'real' database (MySQL), rather than the YahooGroups default.
          > I'll also be happy to volunteer some time to write software that allows admins
          > to enter and edit the data and for others to browse.

          Hi Mike,

          Your help would be great. I've already created a MySQL database and an
          sftp user account on a virtual server that is colocated in downtown LA.

          I would be happy to give you either sftp access to upload files and/or
          shell access if you want to access the MySQL client directly on my server.

          I'm happy to help no matter whose server is being used. My server is
          setup for virtual hosting, so having multiple users is not a problem.

          This database is my first attempt at programming in PHP although I am not
          opposed to using another scripting language.

          Thanks,
          Steve Redlich