Re: Media Contact Database

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      From: "Chuck Seberg" <pusherprop3@...>
      > My other
      concerns still stand.

          You're correct about a direct import from csv to SQL: the fields and
      types do have to match. However, there are dozens of programming
      methods aside from those two facilities that can be used to make a
      conversion of the field structure, type and sequence for all records
      from one to the other.
          Having said that, I don't have the time to convert my existing
      media database to either Yahoo! DB or SQL. There are over 800
      records in FoxPro (dBase) DBF format, but mostly with emails only.
      Here's my structure, which may be useful in deciding on fields:

      R_Media.DBF Structure
      Field   Field Name    Type
        1   MEMID  Character   8
        2   C_ACT  Character   1
        3   C_MED  Character   4
        4   C_WEB  Character   4
        5   C_RAT  Character   4
        6   C_MAR  Character   4
        7   MAILNAME   Character  50
        8   ORGAN  Character  35
        9   TITLE  Character  30
       10   SALUT  Character   5
       11   FNAME  Character  12
       12   LNAME  Character  20
       13   ADDRESS Character  30
       14   ADDRHEAD   Character  25
       15   CITY   Character  25
       16   ST     Character   2
       17   ZIP    Character  10
       18   CTY    Character   3
       19   RGN    Character   7
       20   ONPHONE Character  10
       21   HMPHONE Character  10
       22   WKPHONE Character  10
       23   WKEXT  Character   6
       24   FXPHONE Character  10
       25   ALTPHONE   Character  10
       26   E_MAIL Character  45
       27   E_ALT  Character  45
       28   E_SITE Character  50
       29   CON_DIST   Character   2
       30   C_SRC  Character   4
       31   C_ADV  Character   4
       32   C_MESS Character  30
       33   C_MAIL Character  30
       34   D_ADDED Date    8
       35   D_UPDATED  Date    8
       36   C_REC  Character   3
       37   NOTES  Memo   10
        ** Total **    575

          The first set of C_xxx fields are Coded for ACTive, MEDia (TV/Radio/etc),
      WEB presence, RATing (National, State, Local, etc), MARket (Metro code).
          The second set code for SRC (Source of the info), ADV (Flag for our
      advertising on that media, MESSages (What we've sent that person) and
      MAIL (The media's preference for submissions)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
        Thanks for the list of possible fields to be considered for a data base. One reason I haven't started plugging in data is because there is still so much discussion about what should be included. I think it is a mistake to start with a limited number of fields and then discover later that our data is marginally useful or limited in its applications.

        I've been browsing some of our Minnesota Leftist Rags' web sites and finding that they are very careful to make it difficult for the public to communicate with them. Information you need is not readily available. They are like elitists in gated communities, with door guards and access codes to keep the public from reaching a human being on the inside. There are so many obstacles that a casual observer would give up, but needing the information for profession reasons requires an archeological dig on these web sites. I'm not going to move all that earth and bull crap, only to have to move it all over again. So, I'll wait to see what is really going to be required for this data base.

        It seems to me that we are reinventing the wheel here. Doesn't anyone have a "standard" media list that we can use as an example. I find it rather constricting to use the limited format of YahooGroups, which makes it feel like we're pounding a square peg into a round hole. We really should determine what information is essential for our database, and then see what platforms support our needs. If YahooGroups only allows for 10 fields and we need, say, 15, then we're potentially wasting a lot of time gathering only part of the information needed. At the same time, we don't want to gather unnecessary information. I'll admit that publication deadlines would be an unnecessary field, since we are not likely to be seeking ink in the less frequently published journals (it is good to keep it in mind for local, saturation campaigns nonetheless).

        In the YahooGroup data base, I noticed that there was no field for STATE. Sorting by state would be mighty useful for both state RLC chapters and the guy who has to maintain the media list for a particular state. I sure wouldn't want to have to scour thousands of records to find the few I am responsible to keep updated.

        Also, someone mentioned that particular states may not take kindly to certain issues. There's no sense in poking anyone in the eye if it can be avoided. In other words, maybe a little targeted dissemination is warranted, and that means we need to be able to exempt some states from receiving a news blitz that would do more harm than good. The danger of having "black out" regions, however, is that we may be lulled into hypocrisy if we don't watch out. We don't want to be painting two different faces on any issue, as that would seriously undermine our credibility. Perhaps we just need to be sure to pick our battles for news releases carefully, so we can present issues -- like Real ID -- that have significant impact on everyone, no matter what their politics.

        From: "Chuck Seberg" <pusherprop3@...>
        > My other concerns still stand.

            You're correct about a direct import from csv to SQL: the fields and
        types do have to match. However, there are dozens of programming
        methods aside from those two facilities that can be used to make a
        conversion of the field structure, type and sequence for all records
        from one to the other.
            Having said that, I don't have the time to convert my existing
        media database to either Yahoo! DB or SQL. There are over 800
        records in FoxPro (dBase) DBF format, but mostly with emails only.
        Here's my structure, which may be useful in deciding on fields:

        R_Media.DBF Structure
        Field   Field Name    Type
          1   MEMID  Character   8
          2   C_ACT  Character   1
          3   C_MED  Character   4
          4   C_WEB  Character   4
          5   C_RAT  Character   4
          6   C_MAR  Character   4
          7   MAILNAME   Character  50
          8   ORGAN  Character  35
          9   TITLE  Character  30
         10   SALUT  Character   5
         11   FNAME  Character  12
         12   LNAME  Character  20
         13   ADDRESS Character  30
         14   ADDRHEAD   Character  25
         15   CITY   Character  25
         16   ST     Character   2
         17   ZIP    Character  10
         18   CTY    Character   3
         19   RGN    Character   7
         20   ONPHONE Character  10
         21   HMPHONE Character  10
         22   WKPHONE Character  10
         23   WKEXT  Character   6
         24   FXPHONE Character  10
         25   ALTPHONE   Character  10
         26   E_MAIL Character  45
         27   E_ALT  Character  45
         28   E_SITE Character  50
         29   CON_DIST   Character   2
         30   C_SRC  Character   4
         31   C_ADV  Character   4
         32   C_MESS Character  30
         33   C_MAIL Character  30
         34   D_ADDED Date    8
         35   D_UPDATED  Date    8
         36   C_REC  Character   3
         37   NOTES  Memo   10
          ** Total **    575

            The first set of C_xxx fields are Coded for ACTive, MEDia (TV/Radio/etc),
        WEB presence, RATing (National, State, Local, etc), MARket (Metro code).
            The second set code for SRC (Source of the info), ADV (Flag for our
        advertising on that media, MESSages (What we've sent that person) and
        MAIL (The media's preference for submissions)

        Bill
      • C.B.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          westmiller@... wrote:
          > From: "Chuck Seberg" <pusherprop3@...>
          > > My other concerns still stand.
          >
          > You're correct about a direct import from csv to SQL: the fields and
          > types do have to match. However, there are dozens of programming
          > methods aside from those two facilities that can be used to make a
          > conversion of the field structure, type and sequence for all records
          > from one to the other.
          > Having said that, I don't have the time to convert my existing
          > media database to either Yahoo! DB or SQL.

          It's easily done--export it to a comma-delimited file,
          then import it. All the character fields will be char
          fields. It shouldn't take more than an hour, tops.

          > There are over 800
          > records in FoxPro (dBase) DBF format, but mostly with emails only.
          > Here's my structure, which may be useful in deciding on fields:

          The number of records isn't relevant to how much time
          or trouble it would take, unless they contain illegal
          characters, like commas.

          --
          /"\ ||
          \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN || Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005

            Great!

            How long do you think it would take to develop a front end for the database?

                 Doug

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
> [...]

              > > 25 ALTPHONE Character 10
              > > 26 E_MAIL Character 45
              > > 27 E_ALT Character 45
              > > 28 E_SITE Character 50
              > > 29 CON_DIST Character 2
              > > 30 C_SRC Character 4
              > > 31 C_ADV Character 4
              > > 32 C_MESS Character 30
              > > 33 C_MAIL Character 30
              > > 34 D_ADDED Date 8
              > > 35 D_UPDATED Date 8
              > > 36 C_REC Character 3
              > > 37 NOTES Memo 10
              > > ** Total ** 575
              > >
              > > The first set of C_xxx fields are Coded for ACTive, MEDia
              > > (TV/Radio/etc),
              > > WEB presence, RATing (National, State, Local, etc), MARket (Metro code).
              > > The second set code for SRC (Source of the info), ADV (Flag for our
              > > advertising on that media, MESSages (What we've sent that person) and
              > > MAIL (The media's preference for submissions)

            • Steve Redlich
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
                On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Mike Bryant wrote:

                > If it helps at all, I will be happy to host the database on my company's server.
                > This would be a 'real' database (MySQL), rather than the YahooGroups default.
                > I'll also be happy to volunteer some time to write software that allows admins
                > to enter and edit the data and for others to browse.

                Hi Mike,

                Your help would be great. I've already created a MySQL database and an
                sftp user account on a virtual server that is colocated in downtown LA.

                I would be happy to give you either sftp access to upload files and/or
                shell access if you want to access the MySQL client directly on my server.

                I'm happy to help no matter whose server is being used. My server is
                setup for virtual hosting, so having multiple users is not a problem.

                This database is my first attempt at programming in PHP although I am not
                opposed to using another scripting language.

                Thanks,
                Steve Redlich