Topics for discussion

  • William Westmiller
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
      "Guy McLendon" <guy@m...> wrote:
      >... this candidate appears to be worthy of RLC endorsement ...

      We're long past the time for considering any endorsement
      of current candidates. More critical:
      1. We've lost two excellent acivists (personal demands)
      who were doing candidate reviews and recommendations to the
      Board during the pre-primary season. We badly need someone
      who is willing to act as the 'RLC Endorsements Director'.
      If there are any volunteers, I'll be happy to provide a
      long list of projects that *must* be done in the next year,
      if we're going to have a serious impact on 2006 elections.
      2. I'd love to start working *now* on getting all of the
      RLC Chartered States to agree to a *very early* endorsement
      for President. I think Mark Sanford fills the bill perfectly
      and he has a pending re-election as SC Governor in 2006 where
      we could have an impact. Most important, he is a truly viable
      candidate for President.

      I'll post other topics for discussion that aren't related
      to candidates, but please "jump in" with an indication of
      your own priorities and projects.

      Bill Westmiller
      RLC Chairman
    • rlcmcallen
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
        Yes, I signed on to Yahoo and am posting on the web, not replying with
        the email client. I just spent a little time looking at the list of
        members. 72 in all. THis number is less than the number in RLC Discuss
        or GOP Liberty. Guess I'd better not ask questions. Hopefully after
        the election this site will start to buzz with serious work getting done.

        John Pankratz
        rlcmcallen
      • Bruno Behrend
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
          I'm all for picking the "best" candidate.  But what do we do for them?  Next, what is the "endorsement process."

          Bruno
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
            It seems to me, the top priority must be building membership - otherwise, our endorsements are valueless.  To that end, the *top* priority must be reestablishing a regular newsletter.  How many prospective or first-time members have we lost because we appear to be nothing more than an "E-group Pontification Society".  [Need I even refer to the current RLC-Discuss thread entitled "Dues Rebate Request..."??]

            Jeff Palmer - jap@...

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
              RLC endorsements in U.S. Senate, Congressional and Gubernatorial races require the approval of the national board and, if in a state in which the RLC has a chartered state organization, the co-endorsement of the state organization.  An endorsement for a presidential candidate would require the approval of the national board and the co-endorsement of *all* chartered state organizations.  Endorsements of sub-gubernatorial state-level candidates are made by the state-level RLC organization (presumably, with appropriate co-endorsements from local-level RLC organizations, if any) or, in states with no chartered organization, the national board.

              Historically, our endorsement process has been for an RLC-worthy candidate to be brought to our attention by a board member or state organization, for our Endorsements Director to prepare a written evaluation of the candidate, and then for the board to [usually] approve the endorsement.  We then ostensibly support the candidate by soliciting directed campaign contributions from our membership to the candidate through our PAC as well as by soliciting on the ground volunteer support.

              So that our very limited resources may be focused on only the most RLC-worthy candidates, endorsements are ostensibly reserved for only the dozen or so best candidates nationwide.  However, such a comparative judgement requires a standardized means of evaluating candidates.  Accordingly, an RLC "Federal Candidates' Questionnaire" was completed earlier this year with hopes of standardizing our endorsement process, but it was too late to be used extensively in this election cycle.  I'm hopeful that in future election cycles, we will submit such a questionnaire to *all* candidates in all GOP congressional primaries to facilitate a more professional process and a more standardized comparison of candidates across the country.

              Jeff Palmer - jap@... - www.rlc.org
              Coordinator, Republican Liberty Caucus of North Carolina

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
                I don't see how a formal endorsement could be considered until, at the earliest, shortly before the presidential primaries when the slate of candidates is known.

                The idea of some "very early" behind-the-scenes RLC involvement is a good one, however.  I agree that Gov. Sanford would be a very RLC-worthy presidential candidate.  Provided the preponderance of the board and this e-group agree, I'd recommend that the board authorize you (or an appropriate designee) to personally contact the governor and encourage his candidacy - perhaps as early as shortly after the coming election.

                Jeff Palmer - jap@...

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
                  The questionaire seems like a good idea, because even if it doesn't
                  result in endorsements in many races it will at least provide voters
                  with information - presumably in the form of ratings on key issues -
                  for all the candidates who are responsible enough to reply. The
                  ratings could be provided without having to go through the
                  bureaucratic process required to get a full-fledged endorsement and
                  would still be quite useful.

                  www.torchofliberty.com
                • jphodgson@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
                    I woud agree

                    JPH
                  • John Pankratz
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 21, 2004
                      It would be good to start working now on finding candidates. Formal
                      endorsement could wait until just after the filing deadline.

                      john p
                    • Philip Blumel
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                        --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Palmer" <jap@h...> wrote:
                        >> It seems to me, the top priority must be building membership -
                        otherwise, our endorsements are valueless. To that end, the *top*
                        priority must be reestablishing a regular newsletter.<<

                        Hear, hear. The national RLC must focus its limited resources on the
                        infrastructure needed for the organization to function.

                        I would offer the following as priorities. Maybe one excom member
                        can be put in charge of each -- not necessarily doing it, but being
                        utlimately responsible that it get done. (I have no idea if that is
                        a realistic suggestion.)

                        1) Newsletter. Even an e-newsletter is acceptable if it is regular
                        both in frequency and format. In Florida, we send out a quarterly e-
                        newsletter which we archive on our website (www.rlcfl.org). National
                        could do this also as a start. I do not recommend that this be done
                        by committee but rather by one competent individual with excom
                        approval of the final product.

                        2) We also need a very high quality (full color, glossy) mass
                        produced tri-fold brochure with a membership form.

                        3) Maintain the database and send renewal notices.

                        4) Maintain the national website.

                        5) Consistently publish the Liberty Index.

                        6) Send mailings to generate leads and new members and contributors.

                        The state organizations should really be doing the actual work of
                        organizing, activism, campaigning, etc. But these tools will equip
                        us for the task.

                        -- Philip Blumel
                      • John Pankratz
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                          Philip Blumel wrote:

                          >--- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Palmer" <jap@h...> wrote:
                          >

                          >>>It seems to me, the top priority must be building membership -

                          ====================
                          I know we have done too little, but compared with the past, our guys in
                          Texas have been working quite successfully to build membership. One
                          thing that has helped has been to have a booth at the State Republican
                          Convention. This gives us many hundreds of contacts each two years. Of
                          course we have Ron Paul, and several state officials, and they help draw
                          a crowd for our reception. This year our reception drew about 1000. It
                          really helps to have prominent people associated with you in your State.
                          Nevertheless, even if you do you have to act to take advantage of your
                          opportunities. Even without high profile members you can still have a
                          booth, use the smallest political quiz, with stickers to show the
                          distribution of test takers at the site. In our case, they are heavily
                          in the upper right-hand quadrant, which really impresses passers by (and
                          officials too, I believe) Of course this is Texas.

                          Our leaders are also pretty good at keeping up the website and putting
                          our an e-newsletter. Printed newsletters are expensive to mail, and you
                          have the problem of building a mailing list. It might pay to put one out
                          to have a stack available at State Convention time, though. Even county
                          conventions could use them.
                          Look at http://www.rlctexas.org

                          John P.
                        • Ray Holtorf
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                            Better yet is promoting the idea of Sanford '08 at your county board meetings - get the name out early...

                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                              Let's see how 11/2 turns out. It will make a difference how the power
                              structure in the party is organized. And then we have an election in 06
                              to plan for. We're a lot more likely to get people elected to down
                              ballot positions, and build our influence in our respective state
                              parties if we take a two year perspective at this time. Has anyone even
                              spoken with Sanford? We aren't influential enough to propel a bandwagon
                              for Sanford, but we could maybe help push a little. The pages of history
                              are littered with good men who ran for President without the blessing of
                              the kingmakers. Maybe the best thing that RLC people could do for
                              Sanford would be inside the Party, talking with people who do the
                              recruiting. Of course you need to be an insider to even know who those are.
                              ......... john p. ..................
                              ............ john p ..............

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                http://www.nationalreview.com/murdock/murdock200406280927.asp

                                excerpt:

                                Sanford issued 106 vetoes to close this $16 million gap. The house
                                quickly overrode 105 vetoes. Sanford responded May 27 by walking into
                                the statehouse rotunda with a squealing piglet under each arm. "Wait a
                                minute," he asked in the /Charleston Post and Courier/. "There is plenty
                                of money for 'pork' projects for individual members' districts, but no
                                way to carve out any savings to pay off the deficit?"

                                While many legislators and pundits frowned, talk radio hosts loved it.
                                Letters to local newspapers mainly approved. Despite — or perhaps
                                because of — this, Sanford's approval numbers exceed 70 percent.

                                "Mark Sanford truly gets it," says Ed McMullen, President of Columbia's
                                free-market South Carolina Policy Council. "He understands that limited
                                government is an objective. He has succeeded in changing the debate."

                                WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF WE HAD A MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE WHO WOULD DO THIS?

                                ............ JOHN P ..............
                              • Bruno Behrend
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                  JP asked: (re: Sanford)

                                  WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF WE HAD A MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE WHO WOULD DO THIS?

                                  Bruno writes:

                                  Yes it would.

                                  Here is a reality check for you, though. Sanford is Gov. of SC; a far
                                  smaller fish to fry than the Presidency. Does political reality EVER
                                  intrude on ideologues.

                                  I'll gladly work for such a goal. I'd even be up for having such a
                                  candidate win the nomination, even if he was "less likely" to get elected in
                                  the general. At the end of the day however, I'll vote for a McCain or a
                                  Frist (though I dislike both) over Hillary.

                                  ______________________________

                                  Another Sanford angle...

                                  In strategic terms, it is likely that Cheney resigns in the next four years
                                  if Bush wins. This may even have been part of a long term plan for the Bush
                                  people. The person picked has an automatic advantage over the pack. It
                                  would not surprise me in the least that this will be considered simply to
                                  blunt McCain's "front runner" status.

                                  If this happens, who gets picked will be an indicator of which direction
                                  Bush would like to see things go. This presents us with an opportunity to
                                  start a whispering campaign for a Sanford or an Owens (CO).

                                  This type of stuff also provides an object lesson in how to gain, and not
                                  gain, influence with administration. CATO has been very critical of Iraq
                                  policy, but pretty positive on the "ownership society." They still have
                                  some influence. An organization known for posting "antiwar.com" detritus &
                                  Schlockwell will have none.

                                  As an aside, getting the mainline blogs talking about this issue is a good
                                  way to get the campaign started.

                                  Bruno
                                • John Pankratz
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                    Wouldn't it be disheartening if we had to resign ourselves in perpetuity
                                    to choices like McCain/Hillary?
                                    As if SHE isn't an idologue.

                                    Let's work on a better choice, whether Sanford or someone else. Who
                                    knows what turns of history will affect our fortunes between now and say
                                    3 years hence. If we aren't prepared, and haven't laid the groundwork,
                                    we won't have a chance.

                                    One man's idologue is another man's regular Good American.

                                    It's always too soon to give up.

                                    As for the "ownership society" ... America has been an Ownership Society
                                    all along. Calling a welfare program that buys people's houses with our
                                    tax money is not an ownership society. It is socialism.

                                    .............. john p ..............

                                    Bruno Behrend wrote:

                                    >... Does political reality EVER intrude on ideologues.
                                    >
                                    >I'll gladly work for such a goal. I'd even be up for having such a
                                    >candidate win the nomination, even if he was "less likely" to get elected in
                                    >the general. At the end of the day however, I'll vote for a McCain or a
                                    >Frist (though I dislike both) over Hillary.
                                    >
                                    >______________________________
                                    >
                                    >Another Sanford angle...
                                    >
                                    >In strategic terms, it is likely that Cheney resigns in the next four years
                                    >if Bush wins. This may even have been part of a long term plan for the Bush
                                    >people. The person picked has an automatic advantage over the pack. It
                                    >would not surprise me in the least that this will be considered simply to
                                    >blunt McCain's "front runner" status.
                                    >
                                    >If this happens, who gets picked will be an indicator of which direction
                                    >Bush would like to see things go. This presents us with an opportunity to
                                    >start a whispering campaign for a Sanford or an Owens (CO).
                                    >
                                    >This type of stuff also provides an object lesson in how to gain, and not
                                    >gain, influence with administration. CATO has been very critical of Iraq
                                    >policy, but pretty positive on the "ownership society." They still have
                                    >some influence. An organization known for posting "antiwar.com" detritus &
                                    >Schlockwell will have none.
                                    >
                                    >As an aside, getting the mainline blogs talking about this issue is a good
                                    >way to get the campaign started.
                                    >
                                    >Bruno

                                  • Steve Redlich
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                      One thing I've noticed this election cycle was very heavy spending
                                      by the left to defeat pro small government congressional candidates.

                                      Whether it's Vernon Robinson, Herman Cain or Pat Toomey in the primaries,
                                      or Tom Coburn, Jim Demint and Tom Tancredo in the general, left leaning
                                      forces are spending millions to defeat candidates who want to reduce
                                      the size of government.

                                      They know our candidates are their biggest threat and have spent
                                      accordingly.

                                      I think we need to concentrate on getting good congressional and senate
                                      candidates into office in '06, and countering the democrat's money, and
                                      not as much on the President's Race.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Steve Redlich
                                    • John Pankratz
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                        AMEN! Right now our primary focus should be on '06.
                                        .............. jp .................

                                        Steve Redlich wrote:

                                        >One thing I've noticed this election cycle was very heavy spending
                                        >by the left to defeat pro small government congressional candidates.
                                        >
                                        >Whether it's Vernon Robinson, Herman Cain or Pat Toomey in the primaries,
                                        >or Tom Coburn, Jim Demint and Tom Tancredo in the general, left leaning
                                        >forces are spending millions to defeat candidates who want to reduce
                                        >the size of government.
                                        >
                                        >They know our candidates are their biggest threat and have spent
                                        >accordingly.
                                        >
                                        >I think we need to concentrate on getting good congressional and senate
                                        >candidates into office in '06, and countering the democrat's money, and
                                        >not as much on the President's Race.
                                        >
                                        >Thanks,
                                        >Steve Redlich
                                        >

                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Barry Moore
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                          That's pretty good chit, Guy.

                                          Guy McLendon <guy@...> wrote:
                                          I've just sent an email to prospect David Thibodaux who is currently a candidate for US Congress in LA #7.  He has given me multiple phone numbers, and has asked me to call him.  I hope to meet him again in person this coming Wednesday.

                                          Regarding general libertarian movement cooperation, please note this:  if not for the Libertarian Party of LA, I would not have met this person.

                                          How's that for chit-chat?

                                          Guy McLendon
                                          RLC Louisiana Contact

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                                        • Guy McLendon

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                              Philip,

                                              If you have viewed the home page of RLC-National
                                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rlc-national/files/> you will find
                                              "files" on the left side. Under "files" you will find under "brochures"
                                              a document created by John Reed. That tri-fold brochure is the one that
                                              was created for RLCTX, and it has been the one that we are pointed to
                                              each month as a source for our own downloading and printing. I have
                                              suggested some improvements to make it more of a "National" brochure.
                                              I'm waiting for feedback from John Reed and/or Bill Westmiller, which
                                              I'm sure they're just not able to do right now due to the closeness of
                                              the election.

                                              With John or Bill's approval, I will send a copy of my proposed revision
                                              via e-mail, using MS Publisher (which offers "wizards" for all sorts of
                                              business forms, newsletters, and fliers, and which allows you to
                                              download onto a floppy that can be brought to a printer for a complete
                                              and accurate rendering). We have discussed the brochure on the
                                              RLC-National discussion group, though I think I might have made a couple
                                              more improvements based on Bill's suggestions since the last copy I send
                                              to John & Bill. The RLC-National discussion group is a forum for elected
                                              officials in state and national RLC offices, so I don't know how many
                                              here have direct access to those archives. If you can't access those
                                              archives, let me know, and I can send you a cut and paste of the
                                              relevant descriptions of the currently proposed replacement tri-fold
                                              brochure.

                                              I agree with you (and Jeff Palmer) 100% that we must focus on
                                              infrastructure, organization, and membership. Many of you live in states
                                              that have a State Chapter. We in Minnesota are still trying to get one
                                              off the ground. It is a tough time for it, due to the frenetic pace of
                                              the election. I hope it gets easier after the election. If we remain too
                                              few in number, we are a whisper, but if we can expand our membership,
                                              our voice will be more broadly heard. A growth in membership not only
                                              proves that we have a large following, but also allows us to pool
                                              resources to apply toward funding grants to various worthy candidates.
                                              If we can't get the money to the candidates, they won't see any
                                              particular need to hear us, let alone heed us. So, membership drives
                                              ought to be our single most important activity at the grassroots level.
                                              I have added a few comments to your message below, if you care to scan
                                              them now.

                                              John and Bill, may I disseminate the latest design for the tri-fold
                                              brochure? At least we may get more comments, especially from any well
                                              honed publicists out there.

                                              Doug Harrison

                                              (My further comments appear alongside the original message below.)

                                              Philip Blumel wrote:

                                              > --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Palmer" <jap@h...> wrote:
                                              > >> It seems to me, the top priority must be building membership -
                                              > otherwise, our endorsements are valueless. To that end, the *top*
                                              > priority must be reestablishing a regular newsletter.<<
                                              >
                                              > Hear, hear. The national RLC must focus its limited resources on the
                                              > infrastructure needed for the organization to function.
                                              >
                                              > I would offer the following as priorities. Maybe one excom member
                                              > can be put in charge of each -- not necessarily doing it, but being
                                              > utlimately responsible that it get done. (I have no idea if that is
                                              > a realistic suggestion.)
                                              >
                                              > 1) Newsletter. Even an e-newsletter is acceptable if it is regular
                                              > both in frequency and format. In Florida, we send out a quarterly e-
                                              > newsletter which we archive on our website (www.rlcfl.org). National
                                              > could do this also as a start. I do not recommend that this be done
                                              > by committee but rather by one competent individual with excom
                                              > approval of the final product.

                                              The eNewsletter must be regularly updated, and I would suggest once
                                              weekly during normal, non election years, and daily during election
                                              years. I have found little use for Quarterly Newsletters, because
                                              information often goes stale, even from the likes of my own city hall. I
                                              can tell you from my own personal experience that I soon lose interest
                                              in websites and newsletters that don't offer something new often. I
                                              can't be alone is this. Also, the Internet is dynamic! Let's make use of
                                              that medium to its full potential. Even if it is nothing more than a
                                              readership poll on various issues, or a quiz to highlight recent
                                              political events.

                                              And I agree with you about the need for an Editor in Chief to run the
                                              show. We should have "columns" written by our trusted members to
                                              illuminate the issues from the liberty perspective. These articles
                                              should appear regularly, but they could be presented on a rotating
                                              basis, to give the writers a chance to think about a topic and take the
                                              time needed to research it and prepare a thorough argument to convince
                                              readers. The Editor in Chief must have the authority to request or make
                                              revisions to correct grammatical or typographical errors (such errors
                                              are usually legion and depreciate the value of a publication
                                              significantly) and to ensure variety of contemporary, relevant issues
                                              for the readers.

                                              I also suggest that prior to publication of each newsletter, a
                                              proofreader be assigned to ferret out all the mistakes prior to posting.
                                              WARNING: A spell-check program is NOT a replacement for a real
                                              proofreader! While it should be the author's responsibility to check
                                              that all his references are accurate (hyper links are not broken,
                                              people's names are spelled correctly, telephone numbers and addresses
                                              are correct, etc.), a proofreader can easily double check that all links
                                              work properly. There is no excuse for providing bad links. If a good
                                              link goes bad because the target organization changes it, well, that
                                              might be worth a good follow up story -- if they're trying to hide from
                                              the public.

                                              Do you have a background in editing, publishing, or journalism? Perhaps
                                              we should do a survey to see what talent we actually have among our members.

                                              > 2) We also need a very high quality (full color, glossy) mass
                                              > produced tri-fold brochure with a membership form.

                                              I think I covered that in my opening statement well enough. I will be
                                              glad to provide more details to anyone asking.

                                              > 3) Maintain the database and send renewal notices.

                                              This is crucial. We not only have to increase our membership numbers, we
                                              need to retain members! There is always a certain amount of turnover in
                                              any membership -- people lose interest, life's challenges change, etc.
                                              -- but we sure don't need to lose members due to apathy on our part.
                                              Renewal notices don't necessarily have to be mailed out (saving us
                                              postage), but reminders are almost always required by any service
                                              provider or dues collecting organization.

                                              > 4) Maintain the national website.

                                              Again. The Internet is dynamic. The national website needs to be a place
                                              for people to go to daily to find new information. It could also include
                                              a "blog," something we talked about earlier on another group. The
                                              website is, in this day and age, our main office and showroom. People
                                              who come to visit expect to be both informed and entertained. If they
                                              get neither, they'll move on and never give the RLC another thought.

                                              > 5) Consistently publish the Liberty Index.

                                              I think this is being done already. I've not been around long enough to
                                              see how this thing really works, but I am doing my homework.

                                              > 6) Send mailings to generate leads and new members and contributors.

                                              This is best done from State Chapters, I think. That's where the leads
                                              will be generated, through booths at State and County Fairs,
                                              Conventions, etc. Of course, leads generated from the National Website
                                              will have to be followed up from there.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                                > From: "Philip Blumel" <philip.blumel@...>
                                                > I would offer the following as priorities. Maybe one excom member
                                                > can be put in charge of each ...

                                                I like Phil's list, with a few revisions. Let's organize the discussion
                                                under the below individual "SUBJECT:" lines. I have comments and
                                                background on each, but the general problem I've encountered is that
                                                everyone knows what "WE" should do, but few are able or willing to
                                                take on a task and pursue it consistently and vigorously. That's a
                                                hazard in any all-volunteer organization. Everybody "has a life".
                                                My top priority has always been the national newsletter, but I
                                                have ten other jobs that *have to be done now* and little assistance
                                                in the basic burdens. Therefore, my inclination is to do something
                                                "evil": add financial incentives. We barely have enough to mail one
                                                newsletter to all 8,000 people in our database, but we do have the
                                                resources to offer reasonable compensation to get jobs done. The
                                                only alternative is disincentive: my bitching and moaning that some
                                                designated person isn't doing the job. That doesn't work for me.
                                                With about $4,000 in the bank, I have no problem designating
                                                reimbursement (beyond expenses) for some of the most important
                                                tasks. In that context, fundraising efforts get priority ... they make
                                                it possible to fund and reward other projects.
                                                Of course, I don't want to discourage true devotion and willingness
                                                to commit to individual tasks without compensation. I just don't trust
                                                that motivation to establish a personal priority in RLC projects.
                                                Comments welcome.

                                                Membership Communications
                                                SUBJECT: Newsletter Editing and Production
                                                SUBJECT: Membership maintenance and solicitation
                                                SUBJECT: Web Services for Members
                                                SUBJECT: Special Conventions & Events

                                                Public Communications
                                                SUBJECT: Website(s)
                                                SUBJECT: eNews and eGroups
                                                SUBJECT: Printed Literature
                                                SUBJECT: Liberty Index
                                                SUBJECT: Coalition Building

                                                Fundraising
                                                SUBJECT: Member solicitation
                                                SUBJECT: List Exchanges
                                                SUBJECT: Commissioned Fundraising
                                                SUBJECT: PAC Fundraising

                                                Activist Support
                                                SUBJECT: State Chartering
                                                SUBJECT: Candidate Review
                                                SUBJECT: RLC/GOP Events
                                                SUBJECT: Party Organization/Infiltration
                                              • John Pankratz
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                                  An article on communicating libertarian values to the general population.
                                                  Here's a clue: It ain't easy.

                                                  http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html
                                                • Bruno Behrend
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 22, 2004
                                                    JP wrote:
                                                    Here's a clue: It ain't easy.

                                                    Bruno writes:

                                                    Especially if you promote a whackjob like Rockwell  ;-)

                                                    Here is the close...

                                                    First, reject everything you mistakenly believe in, 2nd, accept all my extreme statements, 3rd, storm the barricades.

                                                    "not easy" indeed.
                                                  • Guy McLendon
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 23, 2004
                                                      Moderator,

                                                      Please stop this chit-chat crap now.

                                                      This group is intended for working messages only.

                                                      GM

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 23, 2004
                                                        >An article on communicating libertarian values to the general population.
                                                        >Here's a clue: It ain't easy.
                                                        >
                                                        ><http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html>http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson-jl/wilson-james17.html

                                                        Rarely have I been exposed to greater idiocy than this article. It
                                                        misses the fundamental point of the entire election choice for
                                                        conservative christians. Regardless of what flaws Bush may or may
                                                        not have, exactly who else are they going to vote for? They're in
                                                        the same difficult situation as we RLC folks are. We may not like
                                                        Bush's record on the Drug War or Medicaire or the Patriot Act, but we
                                                        KNOW Kerry would be worse, so we bite the bullet and vote for Bush.

                                                        Stop by my blog:
                                                        http://www.torchofliberty.com