RE: [RLC-Action] Father arrested over objections to curriculum in son's Kindergarten class

  • Derrick L. Hassert
    Message 1 of 44 , May 1 4:04 PM
      Getting down to a more "libertarian" foundation--why is it the role of the federal government (in the guise of the schools that are supported by federal tax dollars) to teach courses on diversity and tolerance (and self-esteem) when they don't seem to be doing that great of a job teaching basic math, language, and science?

      Derrick

      Neil Galbraith <neilgalbra@...> wrote:
      It's pretty simple. A parent or legal guardian should
      have the right to take the child out of school at
      anytime for any reason.  I don't really know what
      business it is of the school to know why.

      Maybe he just thinks, "Gee, it's a beautiful sunny
      afternoon, and my little kid will only be little for
      so  long. Why don't we go catch tad-poles at the lake,
      he'll learn more doing that..."  Maybe he belongs to a
      cult that teaches that Pi is 3.2.  Who cares!  Unless
      there is a restraining order against him by the mom,
      or he is some sort of convicted felon, I don't see a
      reason why the father can't pull the kid out of school
      for a day.

      Does the state, under any circumstances, have more of
      a right to your child than you do?  No.  Remember, the
      curriculum of a school is not an infallible truth.  It
      is determined by a group of bureaucrats and petty
      elected officials.  It is just as possible that they
      could vote to pass a curriculum requiring all kids to
      be taught that the Holocaust did not happen.  You have
      the right to pull your kid from that school if you
      object.  The default position cannot be that "any
      school curriculum is true, and any parent who objects
      should just sit on it..."

      http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/04/29/arrested_father_had_point_to_make/

      > Adam J Bernay <Republican-Liberty@...>
      > wrote:
      > v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:*
      > {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:*
      > {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape

      {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui)
      > }
      > Thank you, Derrick, that was precisely my point.
      >

      > As for the ages.. 5 and 6 year olds, not 6 and 7
      > year olds.  This was a kindergarten class.
      >

      > Adam
      >

      > "Yes, I do have questions.  I get to ask them
      > BECAUSE I'M FREE!"
      >    -- "Bumper of My SUV," Chely Wright

      === message truncated ===

      "By liberty I mean the assurance that every man shall be protected in doing what he believes to be his duty against the influences of authority and majorities, custom and opinion." -Lord Acton, History of Freedom

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Adam J Bernay
      Message 44 of 44 , May 3 10:47 PM