RE: [RLC-Action] FW: [Libertarian Republicans] Father arrested over objections to curriculum in son's Kindergarten class

  • Douglas Lorenz
    Message 1 of 40 , May 1, 2005

      So you haven’t actually read any unbiased news items about this, but you would have the RLC jump out and start taking action?  Great research skills…

      Let’s try this one more time for the people that missed it…

      The story is about a guy named “David Parker”.  David moved his family from New Jersey to Massachusetts last year.  His son goes to kindergarden at Joseph Estabrook School in Lexington , where during a class session on diversity, a book was presented which was called “Who’s In A Family?”  The book states to children that there are many different types of families, some with two parents, some with one parent, some married, some divorced, some with kids and some without children, and some with two mommies.  The book didn’t discuss sexuality at all…

      Oh, did I mention that David Parker is a member of the Art icle 8 Alliance?  The Art icle 8 Alliance is a group that was founded a while back to call for the removal of the judges in Massachusetts who agreed that there is no reason why same sex marriage should be forbidden.

      Anyway, Parker went to the school and demanded that they stop using that book to teach, and that they inform him whenever they are going to teach anything that has to deal with homosexuality.  Since this issue really wasn’t about homosexuality, it was about the fact that kids come from all different families, the school told Parker that they weren’t going to do what he wanted.  They then asked him to leave the school.

      He refused.

      The school called the police, who then showed up and when Parker refused to leave, he was arrested and taken away on trespassing charges.  He chose not to post bail, and so he spent a night in jail, and was taken to a judge the next morning from the jail.  This entire staged performance then went out in a press release from the Art icle 8 Alliance, which Adam Bernay tried to bring to this discussion group as if it were legitimate news rather than a slanted half-truth.

      So, that’s my unbiased assessment of this story.  If you want more stories, learn how to use Google.

          Doug

      Message 40 of 40 , May 2, 2005
        michael franks wrote:
        > oh yes..im aware of the timeline.....but it goes to show their intent and
        > mindest of interpretation as to how they ran the govt. Bibles were not
        > yanked out of the schools after the Constitution was written and the
        > "establishment" clause came into existance, etc.

        Only because public schools as we know them didn't exist before 1900.