Re: [RLC-Action] Father arrested over objections to curriculum in son's Kindergarten class

  • Jason Burkins
    Message 1 of 44 , May 1, 2005

      Acknowledging that there are non-traditional families in a state with legalized gay marriage in a classroom is not "imposing" upon anyone, its stating fact. If that fact bothers you, well tough luck. Hitler killing Jews bothers me, but I do not protest the schools for teaching that it existed.
      From what I understand the material used in this classroom did not endorse nor did it condemn the existence of non-traditional families, it simply states that they exist. To do anything else is to deny children the facts and becomes censorship truly unbecoming of any libertarian minded individual.

      Now to address your wildly flailing accusations about gay people: first of all, chronic diseases? Bill, with all respect, get your head out of your rump. This thinly veiled reference to AIDS is about 15 years out of date. Its time for new material my friend. The diseases you reference are far, far, far from gay specific these days. Oh and Bill, not all gay people have chronic diseases, sorry to break it to ya.

      In terms of the whole gay marriage argument you speak to, I invite you to read my commentary piece on the issue at http://jason.burkins.net/marriage.html. There is a solution available to us that keeps church and state separate. I should hope you, as a libertarian thinking person, would agree with this approach.

      Frankly, most of what you said goes in the looney notion file otherwise known as my e-mail trash bin, but I took the bait and responded anyway.

      More and more I find too many RLC'ers letting their religious beliefs on certain issues get in the way of the way of their otherwise libertarian philosophies. These are not easy issues, especially when made complicated by religious traditions and long held convictions. That doesn't excuse anyone however for bigotry and ignorance.

      On May 1, 2005, at 4:30 PM, bill Jambura wrote:

      My first problem with gays is that they demand that their lifestyle be
      endorsed by those oppose sodomy.  Moreover, I think the gays 'live and
      let live' argument is phony.  Instead, it's a roundabout spat over money,
      i.e. taxpayer subsidies for government bureaucrats that have 'life
      partners' with chronic diseases that are disproportionately concentrated
      among the gays.

      If they choose to live a risky lifestyle, then they should pay for it.
      In a Republican sense, before the death of republicanism, we used to
      banner "personal freedom AND individual responsibility".  But those days
      are gone, and now the fight is over who gets a free ride and who pays the
      toll.  What clouds the issue is the 'moral certainty' of countervailing
      special interests.

    • Adam J Bernay
      Message 44 of 44 , May 3, 2005