Re: [RLC-Action] Re: Good Vibrations on RLC-Action

  • jonhenke@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2005
      "I would like to help with web development.  I have experience with html, none with ASP, a little PHP, and no java.  However, I do have a server available (with high bandwidth) supporting html, php, cgi, MySQL and blogging.  I can also provide DNS services."

      - - -I'd be happy to provide the site with a copy of DotBlog -- the blogging platform we use at QandO.  It runs of MySQL, and it's rather easy to operate.   I'd strongly encourage the RLC to have a blog, if -- and ONLY if -- it can be updated regularly, with relevant information.    If you do, I'll be  happy to link and publicize it.

      --
      --Jon Henke--
      http://www.qando.net

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2005
        It is good that we take steps to create a more interesting web site and a blog site. As I reach out to liberty activists here in Minnesota, I find myself more often connecting with LPers than with GOPers. There are local LP activists that have done more with the Internet than our own national organization has done. It is tough to compete with that, especially since we are dealing with "tuned in" folks here in the liberty movement. A number of GOPers I deal with are next to computer-phobic. It is obvious to me that with the "connected generation," we are going to have to get connected, too. I don't understand the reluctance of the "old guard" to using the electronic tools available to us. Hell, it has been difficult even to get everyone to submit their name, address, and telephone number. How do you have an activist community, when they don't even talk to each other, let alone attempt to influence those around them? I'm disgusted by it.

        The LP here is trying to piggyback onto my efforts to reach liberty activists among the GOP. If the GOP and the RLC is going to remain fossilized in paradigms of the past, then we will not succeed. My efforts to reach out within the GOP is a delicate process, as the LP is standing by, licking its lips, ready to siphon people over to its cause. I feel like I'm being hijacked. Honestly, I think we are in an undeclared war here, and yet because so many in the RLC today are former LPers, I am counseled to make nice with them. I believe that they are making nice with us only to gain access to disenchanted GOPers. I've suggested an approach that employs mutual respect, but the LP activists only use RLCMN to post LP messages. They have selected "no e-mails" in their profiles, so it is fairly obvious that they expect to continue a one-way relationship. Frankly, I am mulling over the idea of banning those LPers, but I fear that they will come back for vengeance, cloaked in disguises of alternate identities. It is vexing.

        So far, we have only 6 people of the 13 reported dues-paying members that have responded to my call for a chartering convention. Only two of them have bouncing e-mail addresses, which tells me that 5 people are receiving my messages but choosing not to respond. What a crappy deal! Everyone is sitting around waiting for someone else to do something. I've suggested that the 6 of us who seem prepared to hold a convention just go ahead and pay the dues for a spouse or a friend or a family member in order to get 10 names, addresses, and phone numbers to report on our chartering documents. Even this suggestion gets no pings. I can't afford to pay the dues of 4 other people myself alone.

        If something doesn't happen before summer, I will withdraw. I'm tired of leading horses to water only to watch them die of thirst for refusing to drink. For Minnesotans, it's more like trying to push a logging chain (if anyone doesn't get that picture, ask me off group). Anyway, we've worn out several attempts to charter a group here, and I'm just about ready to walk away. I've said this before and had some people encourage me to hang in there, but I will soon be homeschooling my daughters, so my priorities will change dramatically. I can use my time more productively just teaching my two kids to be liberty activists than continuing to waste it with folks who need to be pushed all the time. There comes a time when a man climbing a mountain has to cut the rope before his climbing partner pulls them both into the abyss.

        Douglas G. Harrison
        RLCMN

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2005
          From: jonhenke@...
          >- -I'd be happy to provide the site with a copy of DotBlog
          > -- the blogging platform we use at QandO.  It runs of MySQL,
          > and it's rather easy to operate.

              I'm passing this along to the RLC-Comm working eGroup
          for reference. I expect Lee will be in touch with you about
          this resource.
              If your, or any other RLC-Action members who have
          talent and are willing to help, would like to participate in
          the working eGroup, just drop me a personal email and
          I'll send you an invite.

          > I'd strongly encourage the RLC to have a blog, if -- and
          > ONLY if -- it can be updated regularly, with relevant
          > information. If you do, I'll be  happy to link and publicize it.
          --Jon Henke-- http://www.qando.net
              Thanks. Blogs can be demanding on the host(s), but
          a directed blog - chatter on news or event articles - may
          be an option. We'll update RLC-Action members on our
          progress.

          Bill
        • Douglas Lorenz
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2005

            I’ve been working on some web structures using the content management system that I use for campaigns.  My goal was to offer a combined structure which would allow both the states and the national organization the ability to use a website system that is easy to update without significant technical assistance.

            The first design draft of what I have been working on can be viewed at:

            http://ca.libertycaucus.org/

            This is just the structural design, and I haven’t settled on the list of features that we will be looking to use here in California .  My intention is to develop this system for California , and if it works well then it can be used for more.

            I’ve got the structures for weblogs, as well as libraries and membership management.

            For a different example of what I’ve done for a national organization, check out Move America Forward’s new website.  They have a number of features that we would not need, but I did configure the site to include a weblog.

            Note:  Ignore the ideological content on the Move America Forward page…  It’s not exactly libertarian, but since I have a mortgage and an expensive car payment, I’ve gotta bring in the clients…

            http://www.moveamericaforward.org

            Anyway, in the past I’ve asked people what they feel an organizational website should consist of, but responses have generally not been all that helpful.  It seems that at the moment there are a few people who are interested in this, so it may be that this should expand beyond just a redesign of the California website for me.

            If I’m wrong, then I’ll just go back to my work on the California website…

                 Doug

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2005
              From: DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...>

              I'm disgusted by it.
                  Everybody has frustrations and impediments that
              are not easy to overcome. Sometimes, you have to
              take the long view and be patient. "Don't let the
              Turkeys get you down!"

              > ... the LP is standing by, licking its lips ...

                  You have total and complete control of the state
              eGroup. You can ban, delete, or encourage as you
              see fit. Sometimes, you have to prune the tree ...
              delete the bad apples and move on. (OK, enough
              of the allegories. ;o)
                  It's true that emails and eGroups are TOO easy
              for those who love a soapbox, but have no interest
              in activism. Phone, mail, and personal meetings
              are always more personal and engaging. You can
              let the eGroup slide and move ahead on other
              fronts to see what's productive.
                  [BTW: You can configure the eGroup so that
              new subscribers cannot post without review. That
              has been very useful on GOP-Liberty and may
              help you avoid malicious subscribers.]

              > If something doesn't happen before summer, I
              > will withdraw. I'm tired of leading horses to water ...

                  All of us understand the personal irritation and
              the demands of "real life". We each have to set
              our own priorities, doing what we can when we
              can. Take a break, if that's important to your own
              peace of mind. Things will happen when there are
              enough people who want them to happen and think
              it important in their lives. That may not be today
              or tomorrow ... maybe not next week, next month,
              or next year. Perhaps I don't need to tell someone
              with your email address that you need to have
              faith ... that the goal is achievable and worthy and
              will happen when the time is ripe.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26, 2005
                >So far, we have only 6 people of the 13 reported dues-paying members that have responded to my call for a chartering convention....  I'm tired of leading horses to water only to watch them die of thirst for refusing to drink.

                Don't be discouraged!  I'd be happy with 6 here in North Carolina.

                It's hard to motivate volunteers in *any* organization.  However, why make chartering a prerequisite for success?  It seems to me that a charter (and the organizational work it entails) should be a *tool* for facilitating work toward broader objectives, not an obstacle or an end unto itself.  The RLC has active members in dozens of states without a chartered organization.  Until Minnesota has sufficient volunteer involvement to be helped by a more formalized organization, why not just focus efforts on such things as the e-group, networking within the GOP organization, WSPQ outreach drives, an e-newsletter, etc.?

                Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                 * * *
                Quote of the Week:  “Washington is a city of southern efficiency and northern charm.” -- John F. Kennedy