CISPA Initiative from the RLC

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2012
      Please share the following information and link with everyone you can.  We need to generate a lot of emails on this in the next couple of days.

      Dave

      ---

      This Thursday the House of Representatives is expected to begin debate on  the Cybersecurity Information Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), leading to a vote next week. This is yet another bill similar to SOPA which is designed to limit privacy and individual liberty on the internet.  Now is the time to take action to let them know you don't want the government accessing and sharing your email and personal data.

      CISPA would massively reduce the privacy and security of your online communications and personal data. It would give government agencies and many private companies access to your personal communications and financial information and would allow government security agencies like the National Security Agency unprecedented power to access your data including medical records, private emails and financial information - all without a warrant, oversight by any court or due process of law.

      This access to your records would require no misbehavior on your part, not even an accusation of terrorism or criminal activity and it would take place without your knowledge or any opportunity to protect your information or your privacy interests.  That information could then be passed on to private companies or other agencies or used against you with no real rules or restrictions on who could access it or what hands it would end up in.

      The Republican Liberty Caucus  joined with other concerned groups like the Liberty Coalition and the Electronic Frontier Foundation to promote "Stop Cyber Spying Week" last week, but now the real push is on to break down support for CISPA and send it to the legislative shredder as we did with SOPA a few months ago.

      We urge you to email your representative  in Congress and urge them to oppose CISPA and keep government agencies out of our private online data and communications.

      Please use our tool at http://www.rlc.org/2012/04/24/protect-online-privacy-stop-cispa/ to write your member of Congress and urge them to oppose CISPA.