One Last Chance to Stop Military Detention of US Civilians

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2011
      Please spread the word and share this link with all RLC YahooGroups, Meetups and Members.

      The link to send emails and get congressional phone numbers is http://www.rlc.org/2011/12/14/final-action-on-indefinite-military-detention/

      The House Must Vote Down NDAA to Stop Military Detention

      The latest report is that the National Defense Authorization Act is going to be passed out of the conference committee and sent to the House for final approval on Wednesday. Despite tens of thousands of emails and calls the wording in the bill which would allow indefinite military detention of US citizens has not been changed, though the offending sections have been renumbered to cause confusion. They are now sections 1021 and 1022. (You can read the conference report in this PDF)

      The only remaining way to block this unprecedented attack on our civil liberties and to preserve our Constitutionally guaranteed rights is to vote down the entire bill on the House floor and send it back to committee for revision.

      Representative Justin Amash (RLC-MI) has put together a growing coalition of House members who are planning to vote against the NDAA because of indefinite military detention and he needs your help. Today he wrote of our efforts:

      "For those of you who don't believe that your calls and e-mails to Members of Congress work, let me assure you that they do. Members "freak out" when they receive more than half a dozen calls on any issue."

      "Thanks to our efforts, several Members of Congress are reconsidering their support for the NDAA provisions that permit the indefinite detention of Americans without charge or trial. They have approached me on the House floor to let me know. Please keep up your efforts."

      Law enforcement, national security agencies and the military itself all oppose this aspect of the NDAA. Like most Americans we believe in a strong and effective national defense and the unqualified support of our troops, but that does not mean we should sacrifice our most basic legal protections under the Constitution in our pursuit of the War on Terror. We certainly shouldn't make our own troops the enemies of our people in the service of a government which has forgotten the principles on which our nation was founded. If we give up everything which makes America a great nation in pursuit of a tiny bit of additional safety then the terrorists have won.

      You may think that this sort of insane legislation which totally undermines our Constitutionally protected rights can't be real. You may find it hard to believe that most Republicans are supporting it. You may not think this could happen in your America. Yet this outrage is entirely real and our only hope is to demand that our elected representatives listen to our concerns and stand up for liberty by voting down the NDAA and resubmitting it without these provisions.

      It seems increasingly unlikely that President Obama will veto this bill and we cannot rely on his judgement on this important issue. Even if you previously wrote in during our efforts to stop the bill in the Senate and during Reconciliation, please take this opportunity to write your member of Congress using the form below to ask them to vote down the final version of the NDAA and get to work fixing it and protecting our liberty. We encourage you to customize the text to express your personal concern and outrage.