Special Opportunity to Educate Congress on Military Detention

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2011

      RAPID ACTION NEEDED
      Email Congress Friday Morning

       Stop Indefinite Military Detention of US Citizens
      We might be able to stop indefinite military detention by educating members of Congress, but we have to act now.

      As the conference committee goes over the National Defense Authorization Act, there's an effort going on to make members more aware of the of the constitutional and civil liberties issues surrounding the provisions for indefinite military detention of citizens in the NDAA.  You can play a part by encouraging your representatives to get informed before it's too late.

      There's a special briefing being held at the Rayburn House Office Building at 2pm on Friday with former Reagan administration lawyer Bruce Fein and experts from law enforcement and the military all of whom oppose military detention. All Congressmen and their staff are invited to attend, but we want to make sure they know about the event and that they are invited. The best way to do that is for constituents to email them Friday morning to remind them of the event and urge them to attend and find out why we're so concerned about this act.

      So if you've got a few minutes between now and noon on Friday, please send an email to your Congressman and Senators. This may be a particularly effective strategy because it's different from the usual request for them to vote one way or another.

      Please see our action item at http://www.rlc.org/2011/12/09/special-action-alert-help-inform-congress-about-military-detention/