Suggested possible course of action for outreach.

  • Barry Moore
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2011
      Hey y'all, et al,

      This was sent to the RLCTX group about a week ago, but though I might include it here as well.

      Perhaps you might consider the following, if you have not already done so:

      http://www.linkedin.com is a website devoted to job connections, and has a great deal of prominent members
      of the business community worldwide as members.

      A basic membership is FREE, and is a fairly good way of hooking up with people. Admittedly, it's a pain to fill out a resume', but it's part of the process. Essentially, a Facebook with business and political concerns.

      I am a member of LinkedIn. I am NOT a member of Facebook, as I consider it a bit of a waste of time.

      There are a number of groups you can join, but one that stands out as a possible interest to the RLC is
      the "Texas House of Representatives" group, although there are many others. Espousing in the group
      could possibly allow us a bit more "clout", as group messages are often sent out to members of said group (although that may have changed, since I don't know the moderation practices at this point in time).
      I know at least one member personally who has a tremendous amount of interest, and holds libertarian beliefs. He is not on our RLC mailing list, and probably wouldn't join, BUT, he has some financial resources which might afford us some extended opportunities if he were to receive group messages on LinkedIn relaying our "message", tactfully, of course.

      In addition, with enough members on linkedin, we could also consider setting up a group there as well.

      Dave Nalle could, if our present membership on this group did not disapprove, set up an RLC group on LinkedIn as well, if he has not already done so (sorry, I haven't checked).

      Of course, you can name dozens of places on the web to extend our message, but this one limits a great deal of "noise" which passes for "information" spewing out of my e-mail box.

      Consider it. Hey, you might even get a better job in the process.

      ;^)

      Best regards,

      Barry

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2011
        On 9/17/11 9:24 AM, Barry Moore wrote:

        I am a member of LinkedIn. I am NOT a member of Facebook, as I consider it a bit of a waste of time.

        Big mistake, Barry.  You've written Facebook off too soon.  It has become a dominant tool for political activism.  Most RLCers are active on Facebook and it's used to coordinate all sorts of activism and information distribution.  LinkedIn it just not as functional for the kinds of things you want to do as a political activist, nor does it have anything near the user base.

        I do think LinkedIn is experiencing some growth, but having used it before I basically gave up on it as useless about a year ago.

        I'll make you a deal.  If you gt on FB and join some appropriate RLC groups I'll get back on LinkedIn and set up an RLC group.

        Dave
      • Barry Moore
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2011
          Dave,

          Fair enough. I'll do you one better, as my recent $ contributions to RLC, et al, have been rather dormant lately.

          ;^)

          Barry

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2011
            On 9/17/11 11:22 AM, Barry Moore wrote:
            Dave,

            Fair enough. I'll do you one better, as my recent $ contributions to RLC, et al, have been rather dormant lately.

            Barry, I've logged into my old LinkedIn account and immediately began running into technical glitches. It keeps giving me an error when trying to upload a photo, and when I tried to create an RLCTX group it keeps giving me an error and claiming I haven't filled out all the required fields even though I have.  It's maddening.

            BTW, there already is a general RLC group as well as groups for several other states.  But until this error goes away I don't see a Texas group happening.

            Let me know if you have any better luck on Facebook.

            Dave
          • Barry Moore
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2011
              Dave,

              I have no idea what you're running browser-wise,  but I've had boo-koos of problems with IE 9 and pretty much a plethora of websites. I set it back to emulate IE 8, and that seems to solve a whole lot of problems.

              Haven't forgotten about my word, just been solving a few "issues" regarding Pay-Pal. I'll look later tomight to see if the IE "downgrade" solves the problem on LinkedIn. Then onto the national RLC site, then on to FaceBook...blahblahblah.

              Regards,

              Barry

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 18, 2011
                On 9/17/11 6:13 PM, Barry Moore wrote:
                Dave,

                I have no idea what you're running browser-wise,  but I've had boo-koos of problems with IE 9 and pretty much a plethora of websites. I set it back to emulate IE 8, and that seems to solve a whole lot of problems.

                I'm not an internet cripple - so I'm not using any version of IE.  I've tried Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome with the same results.

                Haven't forgotten about my word, just been solving a few "issues" regarding Pay-Pal. I'll look later tomight to see if the IE "downgrade" solves the problem on LinkedIn. Then onto the national RLC site, then on to FaceBook...blahblahblah.

                There's a big future for the person who comes up with a site or tool which lets us access all social media from a single page.

                Dave
                .

              • Laura Ebke
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 18, 2011

                  RockMelt has eased my social media problems.  Haven’t tried it with LinkedIn, but it interfaces with Facebook, and lets you collect Twitter feeds and associated blog/website feeds all on one side bar.  I’m actually pretty fond of it.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 18, 2011
                    On 9/18/11 5:51 PM, Laura Ebke wrote:

                    RockMelt has eased my social media problems.  Haven’t tried it with LinkedIn, but it interfaces with Facebook, and lets you collect Twitter feeds and associated blog/website feeds all on one side bar.  I’m actually pretty fond of it.

                    I'll check it out.  Thanks.

                    Dave
                    __

                  • Barry Moore
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 19, 2011
                      Dave,

                      By NO means was I referring to you as an internet "cripple"...just letting you know from some "School of Hard Knocks" experience. My apologies if this was inferred.

                      --- Barry

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 19, 2011
                        On 9/19/11 2:35 PM, Barry Moore wrote:
                        Dave,

                        By NO means was I referring to you as an internet "cripple"...just letting you know from some "School of Hard Knocks" experience. My apologies if this was inferred.

                        Actually, I was poking fun at you for thinking that someone would use IE to actually browse the web.

                        Dave
                        .