Re: [RLC-Action] Mechanical Engineering - Good, Good, Good ... Good Vibrations

  • F Worley
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 12 5:16 AM
      I think I can support the minutemen in their attempt to keep illegals out of the US, but I caution that we should be careful not to be seen as being racist.   Our advesaries will exploit that.

      I have a hispanic background myself and speak spanish, but I also know that Mexico doesn't treat illegal aliens from the rest of central america the same way they demand Mexicans be treated by the US.

      Itstead of framing as a critisism of the current administration or failure on the part of government, we could frame it as what it is, volunteer citizens "helping" the government fullfill its constitutional responsibilities.

      The minutment of old have an untarnished reputation, one we should seek to preserve, not defile.

      Frank Worley
      RLC-MS

      DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...> wrote:
      I say we support the Minutemen. Border patrol is one of the few legitimate duties of the government, and it's not being done with much success. If anyone thinks it's okay for people to illegally enter the U.S., then stop complaining and start working to dismantle the Immigration Office. We could save millions while gaining millions while losing millions. What are your priorities?

      Doug

      John Pankratz wrote:
      Sure. After all, we're good.

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 12 11:45 AM
        Agreed. The Minutemen do have an untarnished reputation, and the same
        thing needs to be maintained for those assisting the government by
        patrolling our southern border. For me, it never has been an issue of
        racism; it has always been an issue of national sovereignty. If we were
        having the same problems with our northern border (I live in Minnesota),
        I would join the ranks of the Minutemen defending our state's border,
        even though the illegal entrants would likely be French Canadians and
        other Caucasian groups. It is not a race issue -- but it will be made
        into one by those who oppose the Minutemen, because the Left uses the
        race issue as its trump card every time. We aren't going to stop that
        from happening, but we do need to ensure that the men assisting at the
        border are well-trained and well-informed on the issue.

        I don't understand how the issue of national sovereignty can be so
        easily glossed over. You wouldn't see any Asian country (I lived in the
        Philippines, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and Thailand for an aggregate 20
        years) tolerate border incursions. It's just not done! I am by no means
        advocating closing our borders. We must continue to operate orderly
        transitions of people to and from the United States. The emphasis here
        is on "orderly," which includes the concepts of "lawful," "legitimate,"
        "legal," "justifiable" and a string of other adjectives having to do
        with the permissibility of the act.

        Perhaps we can address Bush's "guest worker" program, but not until
        everyone agrees to the meaning of the terms associated with "orderly."
        Leftist are so full of crap, shooting their mouths off all the time and
        never really trying to solve issues because they need volatile issues in
        order to keep their emotions high and rhetoric flowing. It's really all
        they've got, because they don't have any ideas.

        Doug Harrison
        Treasurer, RLCMN

        F Worley wrote:

        > I think I can support the minutemen in their attempt to keep illegals
        > out of the US, but I caution that we should be careful not to be seen
        > as being racist. Our advesaries will exploit that.
        >
        > I have a hispanic background myself and speak spanish, but I also know
        > that Mexico doesn't treat illegal aliens from the rest of central
        > america the same way they demand Mexicans be treated by the US.
        >
        > Itstead of framing as a critisism of the current administration or
        > failure on the part of government, we could frame it as what it is,
        > volunteer citizens "helping" the government fullfill its
        > constitutional responsibilities.
        >
        > The minutment of old have an untarnished reputation, one we should
        > seek to preserve, not defile.
        >
        > Frank Worley
        > RLC-MS
      • Chuck Seberg
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 12 12:49 PM
          OK, several have given their opinions on the MinuteMen, so let's get on to strategy;

          1) Tancredo talks like he would like to ride this issue into the Whitehouse.  Would the RLC endorse him?
          2) Every state has this problem.  Let's get to networking with groups that are working on this issue in our states.
          3) Democrats and Republicans don't seem able to handle this issue.  Can the RLC forge new ground here?
          4) Libertarians believe in open borders; maybe we don't even have a philosophical leg to stand on.  You decide.

          But at least you have to start thinking in these terms.  Guy's first email talked about issues that resonate with a broad swath of the public.  This might not be something that we can use, but the issue is becoming red hot.  It's starting to resonate, and ringing like a bell.

          Chuck Seberg
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 12 1:26 PM
            > OK, several have given their opinions on the MinuteMen, so let's get on to strategy;

            > 1) Tancredo talks like he would like to ride this issue into the Whitehouse.  Would the RLC endorse him?

            In a word, HELLNO!

            > 4) Libertarians believe in open borders; maybe we don't even have a philosophical leg to stand on.  You decide.

            Liberty, including freedom of movement, is always the correct "philosophical leg".  However, given our lack of unanimity on this issue, we should choose to avoid focusing on this issue altogether.

            Jeff Palmer - jap@...
             * * *
            Quote of the Week:  “Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency.  Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it.” -- Gen. Douglas MacArthur

          • John Pankratz
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 12 2:19 PM
              Speaking of engineering,

              It should be obvious to all that you do not independently change one
              variable in a complex system without necessarily changing
              numerous dependent variables. Changing one variable inevitably
              introduces instability that results in the system settling
              down to a new state with many other factors having changed as well.

              If we allow freedom at our borders we also have to do away with the
              welfare state, end the so-called "war on drugs"
              and stop interfering with the affairs of other sovereign nations (in
              other words stop making enemies.)

              All the above are libertarian principles. The libertarian philosophy is
              of a single piece. You cannot implement part of it
              without implementing all of it. To do otherwise is to force instability
              and cause other, undesireable changes,
              not the least of which would be invasion by muslim terrorists and drug
              smugglers.

              I did have another thought. Although I disapprove very much the Mexican
              government's role in the informal
              invasion we are experiencing, and I do not rejoice in the present
              situation in the least, I do think we may be witnessing
              an example of what happens when enough individuals defy the law so that
              government enforcement breaks down.
              It reminds me of a more positive example when Yeltsin climbed on a tank
              and defied the Soviet army, to the cheers
              of the crowds. If only the American people as a whole had such gumption
              in demaning a return to constitutional government..

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 12 2:44 PM
                It is good to think in terms of liberty, but I think we really must avoid utopian concepts of liberty. If America were to enact every conceivable libertarian principle across the board, there is no guarantee that anyone else in the world would play by our rules. In fact, we know the rest of the world will not play by our rules. They prove it daily. And any utopian shift to open borders, etc., will have the hordes taking advantage of us in new ways. The destructive waves of Huns and Khans that swept across Europe and Asia depended upon "civilization" to drop its guard. "Hey, look at us! We're civilized. We don't need no stinking broad swords. Let us pound our weapons into ploughs and reap the dividends of peace throughout the land!" There were many "peace dividends" throughout human history, and all were spent badly, at the cost of the civilizations themselves. Today, we only read about great civilizations from the dusty archaeological relics that were not destroyed by the hordes. I think we're stuck in guarded liberty, or we have no liberty at all. Ding ... dong ... is everyone awake now?

                Those who still think open borders are such a great idea, let's say you leave your houses and vehicles unlocked from now on. Next time you have a wedding feast, or a barbecue, or an open bar for your job promotion, just put an announcement in the paper telling everyone that you won't be checking the guest list or invitations. Let me know how that works out for ya.

                Jeff Palmer wrote:

[...]

                DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
                often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/PdSolB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • blood_pasta
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 12 3:32 PM
                  Why is it that the "freedom of movement" applies only collectively,
                  but not individually?

                  That is, why is it I have the right to live in other countries
                  without their permission, but not the right to pitch a tent in other
                  peoples' backyards without permission?

                  Realistically, there's no ethically salient libertarian position on
                  immigration. Either we foist open borders upon the masses (against
                  their will) and allow them to be overrun with all the problems that
                  immigrants bring with them from the Third World, or we seal the
                  borders so that business has to move for cheap labor.

                  For the record, I don't consider myself a libertarian, but I do
                  consider myself a libertarian-leaning conservative. One of my big
                  beefs with the LP is that it opposes the UN because it liquidates the
                  rights of nations, but then the LP goes on to support various other
                  institutions that liquidate the rights of nations, such as open
                  borders. Why have borders at all if we're just going to knock them
                  down?

                  Open borders is a big political loser for the LP. The RLC shouldn't
                  touch that issue with a twenty foot pole. I can say with relatively
                  certainty that immigration can be in 2008 what welfare reform was in
                  1992 -- whoever runs farthest to the right can win.

                  --- In RLC-Action@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Palmer" <jap@h...> wrote:
                  > > OK, several have given their opinions on the MinuteMen, so let's
                  get on to
                  > strategy;
                  >
                  > > 1) Tancredo talks like he would like to ride this issue into the
                  > Whitehouse. Would the RLC endorse him?
                  >
                  > In a word, HELLNO!
                  >
                  > > 4) Libertarians believe in open borders; maybe we don't even have
                  > philosophical leg to stand on. You decide.
                  >
                  > Liberty, including freedom of movement, is always the
                  correct "philosophical
                  > leg". However, given our lack of unanimity on this issue, we
                  should choose
                  > to avoid focusing on this issue altogether.
                  > Jeff Palmer - jap@h...
                  > * * *
                  > Quote of the Week: "Our government has kept us in a perpetual
                  state of fear
                  > - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the
                  cry of
                  > grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil
                  at home
                  > or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if
                  we did not
                  > blindly rally behind it." -- Gen. Douglas MacArthur
                  >

                  > --
                • Guy McLendon
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 12 3:52 PM
                    FYI ... to whomever it may concern ... my guess is there's more than a 50% chance the LP will water down their 100% open borders plank in 2006 ... to acknowledge Constitutional authorization for border security, and validity of reason to exercise this authority for purposes of protecting public health & national security.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 12 4:00 PM
                      John,

                      I just read an article titled "Critique of Libertarianism" ... written by a
                      Green Party activist. The article is pretty convincing on the point that
                      it's not really possible to fully implement a fully "free society" ... just
                      as it's thermodynamically impossible to build an ideal "Carnot Engine".
                      That's why the Constitution, in its wisdom, has some non-libertarian
                      features.

                      I very much like your point about lack of independence between variables in
                      complex systems ... such ideas are very familar to process control
                      engineers, and probably to physicians. Sadly ... the professionals who
                      operate the government are, I'm guessing, less attuned to such complex
                      interactions.

                      Guy

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 12 4:15 PM
                        I don't believe in open boarders.  Never have.  As you said other elements of libertarianism must be in place and you rightly point out they are not.

                        However, I cannot support open borders unless other nations do the same.  The Mexico issue is truly a perfect example of the world's hipocrasy.  America is held to one standard and the rest of the world to another.

                        Frank

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 12 4:19 PM
                          If the LP would get a sane foriegn policy, borders included, I might actually consider rejoining them.

                          No offense to my friends in the RLC but between budget deficits, Terri Shiavo and other issues, I've just about had it with the GOP and the DEMS ain't getting my vote.

                          But I digress, where do we stand on this issue of the Minute Men?

                          Frank

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 12 4:21 PM
                            Let me correct myself, I might not support open borders even if other nations did the same, I just would be more willing to consider it if that were the case and it isn't.

                            Frank

                            Jeff Palmer wrote:

                            >> OK, several have given their opinions on the MinuteMen, so let's get
                            > on to strategy;
                            >
                            >> 1) Tancredo talks like he would like to ride this issue into the
                            > Whitehouse. Would the RLC endorse him?
                            >
                            > In a word, HELLNO!
                            >
                            >> 4) Libertarians believe in open borders; maybe we don't even have a
                            > philosophical leg to stand on. You decide.
                            >
                            > Liberty, including freedom of movement, is always the correct
                            > "philosophical leg". However, given our lack of unanimity on this
                            > issue, we should choose to avoid focusing on this issue altogether.
                            >
                            > Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                            > * * *
                            > Quote of the Week: �Our government has kept us in a perpetual state
                            > of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with
                            > the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some
                            > terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going
                            > to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it.� -- Gen.
                            > Douglas MacArthur

                            > Service .
                            >

                            > --

                            DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
                            often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/PdSolB/TM

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Alan R. Weiss
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 13 5:30 AM
                              Study Karl Rove, and attack him the way he has
                              attacked liberty.

                              One of Karl's main tactics, used successful with Bush
                              campaigns in Texas and then again in the Bush for
                              President bids, was to focus on a very small number of
                              issues, and hammer away on those. Another tactic was
                              to attack the STRENGTH of the other guy - not their
                              weaknesses. Attack McCain on his support for Vietnam
                              vets. Attack Kerry for his war record. Attack Ann
                              Richards for her inclusion of gays into society. Turn
                              the strength to sawdust, so to speak.

                              It sems to me the linchpin is Karl Rove, and NOT the
                              "neo-cons" (many are being sidelined ... Wolfowitz to
                              the World Bank is an example. The Neo-cons were never
                              "in control", they were just the proxy for Rove and
                              Bush so that attention was paid to them).

                              Attack Rove. The very basis of the Republican Party
                              is at stake. The memory of Goldwater is fading with
                              time. We must not let that fade. Ron Paul is getting
                              older, bless him, and we need to "step on the gas" and
                              acceleate the battle. Time is growing short.

                              On immigration: the Zetas in Nuevo Laredo are a
                              paramilitary operation kidnapping Americans from
                              Laredo who visit Mexico. Immigration is a key
                              weakness in the Bush-Rove strategy, a linchpin.
                              Attacking them on this is smart politics, especially
                              since Bush-Rove is cultivating immigrants as voters.
                              However, polls show that Mexican-Americans and
                              Hispanics in general who are citizens are - surprise!
                              - anti-immigration!

                              Libertarians are for the free-flow of individuals.
                              Immigrants who come to the USA to work and who value
                              the Bill of Rights are to be applauded. But just as
                              we have NO love or sympathy for Americans who would
                              abort the Bill of Rights, neither should we be blinded
                              to immigrants who have no idea what the Bill of Rights
                              means. Our criteria is this: are you a 'new real
                              American', fully briefed on liberty and cherishing
                              thereof, or are you just another problem?

                              Alan

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                            • Ray Holtorf
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 13 5:49 AM
                                I did a non-scientific poll on border security within
                                on of our RLC groups not too long ago and found out
                                securing our borders - in opposition to traditional
                                libertarian dogma - was VERY popular. FORTUNATELY we
                                are not a democratic organization, and our adherence
                                to the principle of forwarding libertarianism within
                                the Republican Party SHOULD prevent us from making
                                securing our borders a priority issue - no matter how
                                much I personally agree!

                                Tancredo seems to believe in operating the government
                                through religious tenets rather than Constitutionally
                                limited ones. Personally, I don't think he is an
                                option - I think his liberty index rating is very poor
                                on social issues, and not all that great on economic.

                                My view on this as a Presidential issue in '08 is that
                                there will be a MUCH larger unwashed and disaffected
                                middle in the '08 election. The parties will move even
                                farther left and right to secure their base, and what
                                happens in the middle could be DAMN interesting.

                                Ray

                                --- Chuck Seberg <pusherprop3@...> wrote:
                                > OK, several have given their opinions on the
                                > MinuteMen, so let's get on to strategy;
                                >
                                > 1) Tancredo talks like he would like to ride this
                                > issue into the Whitehouse. Would the RLC endorse
                                > him?
                                > 2) Every state has this problem. Let's get to
                                > networking with groups that are working on this
                                > issue in our states.
                                > 3) Democrats and Republicans don't seem able to
                                > handle this issue. Can the RLC forge new ground
                                > here?
                                > 4) Libertarians believe in open borders; maybe we
                                > don't even have a philosophical leg to stand on.
                                > You decide.
                                >
                                > But at least you have to start thinking in these
                                > terms. Guy's first email talked about issues that
                                > resonate with a broad swath of the public. This
                                > might not be something that we can use, but the
                                > issue is becoming red hot. It's starting to
                                > resonate, and ringing like a bell.
                                >
                                > Chuck Seberg

                                Ray HoltorfDirector, National Board, Republican Liberty Caucus (www.rlc.org)Ray@.../Ray"Promoters of big government programs should note that there are no famous quotes from brilliant people extolling increasing the size or power of government."

                              • bill Jambura
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 13 11:53 AM

                                  Frank,

                                  My sentiments exactly about the LP.  The Republicans are the equal opposites of the Democrats, but no less damaging to our Constitution, liberty and freedoms.

                                  In this dialogue of e-mails I, and many of you, may have received the e-mail cautioning us against looking like we hate Hispanics if we defend our borders.  That is an excellent diversion.  Here's an answer to the bigotry vs. national sovereignty debate.

                                  The best way to defend our border without being bigots is to do what we’ve done all over the world—land mines.

                                  1. We’ve put them on every other continent of our world with great success—because they are an extremely effective perimeter defense.
                                  2. They don't require feeding or a massive payroll to manage them.  Nor can they be bribed.
                                  3. They are nondiscriminatory—they don't care about race, religion, ethnic background, sexual orientation, and whatever other bemoanings bleeding heart liberals can come up with.  They just don't like being stepped on.
                                  4. They will not harm you unless you step on them.  And you have to go out of your way to step on them.  It’s freedom of choice.   If you don’t want to get blown up, don’t go there; or you can choose to achieve upward mobility on a one-time trip.
                                  5. And, to be a good neighbor, let’s tell Mr. Fox to update his illegal immigration pamphlet so that his swarming hoards know that they may become commingled with desert dirt if they try to sneak across our borders and dance in our mine fields.
                                  6.  And, to be a good neighbor, we can put up signs (in all the romance languages of course) to identify the first several miles of American soil along the Mexican border as a: “NO GO ZONE—Recommend you use a controlled entry point for your safe crossing”.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 13 5:02 PM
                                    Actually Bill,

                                    I was the one that cautioned about the race issue.  It was not intended as a diversion in anyway, just a caution as I work it the business of crafting messages and can see how easily a message can be misconstrured.  (I've made the mistake myself a number of times).

                                    In our minds, the landmine idea makes perfect sense.  A simple matter of choice.  But we have to remember that the rest of the world, and the rest of the nation, does not think like we do.

                                    If we placed landmines it would kill innocent children who have not freely chosen to cross the boarder, and therefore, it would not accomplish our aim.

                                    Patroling the boarders is the right idea, but we as a group, should also make our voices heard.  An easy way to do that is to hammer away at the fact the policies of the Mexican government towards illegal aliens, US visitors and others are inconsistant with their demands on the U.S.

                                    We are a nation of immigrants and should continue to welcome those, LOUDLY that come legally, and denounce those who do not, and the governments that sponsor them.

                                    Frank Worley

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 13 5:07 PM
                                      This a topic is better suited for RLC-Discuss.

                                      Jeff Palmer - jap@...
                                       * * *
                                      Quote of the Week:  “Washington is a city of southern efficiency and northern charm.” -- John F. Kennedy

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 14 8:24 AM

                                        Frank,

                                        The first thing any nation does whether they are at peace, and especially when they are at war, is to secure their borders.

                                        America is the first nation in history that’s not doing that!  Like it or not, America is deep into two global (world) wars simultaneously—the WW on Terror and the WW on Drugs—where it’s been established that international trafficking in illegal drugs is a major funding source for terrorists.

                                        In any war, innocent civilians suffer much greater loses than the armed combatants. It’s the tragedy of war.  That’s why our Constitution has very strict procedures for how we can go to as a nation.  How our elected officials usurped our Constitution to get us into these good sounding, aimless wars is different debate worth having, but for now, we’re in those world wars nonetheless.  And also, that’s why the Powel Doctrine opposed nation building.  Instead, he called for clearly defined missions (void of mission creep) with a well defined victory criteria and exist strategy.

                                        Let’s compare Iraq to America’s southern border.

                                        First, Iraq: It’s estimated that over 100,000 innocent Iraqi civilians were killed thus far—some in their homes, others at their businesses or on the streets in the cross fire.  They didn’t go out of their way to march cross an international border to get killed.  They simply suffered the consequence of being born in the wrong place at the wrong time.

                                        Now as for America’s southern border: If we secured it with mines (on our side only), only international criminals would go out of their way to cross an international border to dance through a minefield.  In every war, civilians flee away from the front line of battle; they don’t march into it.  We have an international right to secure our borders. Until they are secure, we’ll never know who is coming across our borders to do us harm, and everyone who crosses our borders illegally is by definition a criminal. That’s why every nation in the world (except us, for some reason) is serious about securing their border.

                                        Bill