Proposed NARA Regulations - Request for Comments

  • jap1@peoplepc.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29 9:05 AM
      Proposed NARA Regulations - Request for Comments

      As a protection against theft of archival records from the National Archives, it seems reasonable for a borrower to be asked to leave an ID while viewing such materials.  However, to require a special researcher identification card is another small step toward a national ID card and an insidious encroachment upon privacy.  NARA admits to intending “to track the various research rooms that each person visits” and to being able to contact researchers in case it needs to follow up on their visit.  Its a very small step to tracking specific lines of research.

      NARAs ostensible reasons for tracking users behavior, e.g., ensuring a more accurate counting of researchers to measure our performance in

      customer service delivery and to effectively allocate resources, could be achieved with user cards untraceable to individual users.

      I encourage you to make your opinions known.

      Jeff Palmer - jap1@...

       * * *

      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." -- Cicero, 55 B.C.  [So, what have we learned in 2,063 years?  Evidently nothing...]

      -----Attachment-----

      http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2009/09/nara-proposed-regulation-36-cfr-1254.html

      NARA Proposed Regulation 36 CFR 1254

      The following notice was received from Marilyn Redman of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA):

      The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is proposing a revision to the current NARA regulations on Researcher Identification Cards.  The proposed rule will require researchers using original records, NARA microfilm, and public use computers at the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, to obtain a researcher identification card. Researchers at regional archives are also required to obtain a researcher identification card when there is no separate research room for the use of microfilm and public access computers. The proposed rule also updates our regulations to reflect changes in available technology and research room practices, such as abolishing the three-hour time limit for using microfilm readers.

      The proposed rule is available at http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/E9-23225.htm.

      Comments are due:  November 24, 2009

      NARA invites interested persons to submit comments on this proposed rule. Comments may be submitted by any of the following methods but we strongly encourage submission through regulations.gov:

      ·       Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.

      ·       Fax: Submit comments by facsimile transmission to 301-837- 0319.

      ·       Mail: Send comments to Regulations Comments Desk (NPOL), Room 4100, Policy and Planning Staff, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001.

      ·       Hand Delivery or Courier: Deliver comments to 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD.