Re: [RLC-Action] USA Today poll re: 2nd Amendment

  • Bryan Haddock
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
      [MODERATOR'S NOTE: Agreed. But this is not an appropriate topic for RLC-Action. Please take further discussion to RLC-Discuss.]

      [APPLAUSE]

      Well said...

      Bryan Haddock
      Secretary, Republican Liberty Caucus of Tennessee
      Board of Directors, Republican Liberty Caucus
      bryan@...
      423-991-2143

      On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:13 AM, DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...> wrote:

      The better question is, "does the 2nd Article give the government orn anyone else the right to regulate our weapons?" -- John Conway

      The unfortunate thing about this poll is that someone is attempting to reduce the Constitution and Bill of Rights from its position of  superiority to one of mere popular sentiment.
    • Matthew Gagnon
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009

        This may not sound completely appropriate for the RLC-Action page, but it kind of is.

        Long story short, I’m in a contest to find the top Twitter user in Washington DC – and I have made it all the way to the finals, and am facing off with Michael Turk for the final.

        Winner gets a yogurt named after them, and the proceeds of the sale of said Yogurt go to a charity (I chose the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, for anyone interested).

        Anyway – I could use some help, specifically in voting.  It makes up 75% of the final score for this contest.

        http://famousdc.com/2009/04/06/fdc-championship-today/

        Just go there and vote for @MatthewGagnon if you could.

        Anyway, why this is KIND OF an RLC Action thing, is that in going through this tournament (which started with 64 people, btw) I have gotten a rather absurd amount of attention – enough that my Twitter page is now ranked like #6 on the list if you google my name.  This is a good thing, as I regularly send RLC related messages, and general commentary in line with RLC ideals.  I’ve gotten up to 5000 followers, most of which are libertarian leaning activists.

        Through the whole endeavor I have faced off with and beaten David Almacy, the former Internet and E-Communications Director for the Bush White House (2005 to 2007), and Patrick Ruffini, who was the Webmaster for Bush-Cheney ’04.  Both are actually really good guys, but they do represent that rather discredited brand of conservatism.

        Michael Turk is the former E-Campaign Director for Bush-Cheney ’04, so he is of the same mold.

        I’ve rather enjoyed slashing my way through former Bush internet legends in this tournament, and it would be great to take one last one down as the final cap to a great tournament.  Libertarian-Republicanism must triumph!!

        But, again, if that isn’t enough, just keep in mind its for a great cause!  J

        Matt

      • John Orlando
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009

          Doug,

          On the bright side, these polls do act as a persuasive tool for our legislatures who lack the backbone to defend the Constitution, as they swore to do.

          As you say, it's a problem when our backbone-challenged legislatures loose their Constitutional compass and are swayed by what-ever direction the winds of popular opinion are blowing.  And it is in such times that we need their seriously atrophied backbones to be strong.

          John Orlando
          RLCMD

        • Thomas Willenbring
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
            Bad Link

            On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM, <jap1@...> wrote:

            Quick and easy…

            http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickquestion/2007/november/popup5895.htm

            Jeff Palmer - jap1@...

            Subject: USA Today poll re: 2nd Amendment

            Please forward this on to all of your pro hunting and firearm friends. We need to send a message.

            Totally painless! It only took me 2 seconds.

            Please vote on this gun issue question with USA Today. It will only take a few seconds of your time. Then pass the link on to all the pro gun folks you know. Hopefully these results will be published later this month.

            First - vote on this one.

            Second - launch it to other folks and have THEM vote - then we will see if the results get published.

            Vote in the USA Today poll - click on the link below.

            The Question is: Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

            Vote here:

            http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickquestion/2007/november/popup5895.htm

            --
            The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. ≈Ayn Rand

            "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." --James Madison

          • Vivian Cancio
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
              This poll seems to be an old one (November 2007) if you go by the path in the link ... I tried to find it through the main USA Today Web site and couldn't find it.
              V.C.