Re: [RLC-Action] USA Today poll re: 2nd Amendment

  • John Conway
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6 5:58 AM
      The better question is, "does the 2nd Article give the government orn anyone else the right to regulate our weapons?"

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6 8:13 AM
        The better question is, "does the 2nd Article give the government orn anyone else the right to regulate our weapons?" -- John Conway

        The unfortunate thing about this poll is that someone is attempting to reduce the Constitution and Bill of Rights from its position of  superiority to one of mere popular sentiment. If the political winds can be made to blow some other direction -- via push polls -- then the liberal fascists will gain that much more control over our lives.

        At what point do we turn Congress into American Idol and just have people (whether legally authorized to vote or not) text "01" for "yes" and "02" for "no" on measures presented by showboating politicians? Maybe they could charge a dollar for each call and let people call as many times as they want. We could take international calls to bring dollars back home. The Chinese could dump all their unwanted U.S. dollars while still getting something of value for the buck, like a couple billion votes "no" on any military appropriations bills. Muslims everywhere could vote for sharia law in America, and they could have their world caliphate overnight and without blowing up any more of their sons. The French and Canadians could vote to have America's official language switched from English to French. Obama's "We Are the World" kumbaya jamboree would be completely fulfilled.

        --- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! ---

      • Bryan Haddock
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6 8:17 AM
          [MODERATOR'S NOTE: Agreed. But this is not an appropriate topic for RLC-Action. Please take further discussion to RLC-Discuss.]

          [APPLAUSE]

          Well said...

          Bryan Haddock
          Secretary, Republican Liberty Caucus of Tennessee
          Board of Directors, Republican Liberty Caucus
          bryan@...
          423-991-2143

          On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:13 AM, DGHarrison <DGHarrison@...> wrote:

          The better question is, "does the 2nd Article give the government orn anyone else the right to regulate our weapons?" -- John Conway

          The unfortunate thing about this poll is that someone is attempting to reduce the Constitution and Bill of Rights from its position of  superiority to one of mere popular sentiment.
        • Matthew Gagnon
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6 8:30 AM

            This may not sound completely appropriate for the RLC-Action page, but it kind of is.

            Long story short, I’m in a contest to find the top Twitter user in Washington DC – and I have made it all the way to the finals, and am facing off with Michael Turk for the final.

            Winner gets a yogurt named after them, and the proceeds of the sale of said Yogurt go to a charity (I chose the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, for anyone interested).

            Anyway – I could use some help, specifically in voting.  It makes up 75% of the final score for this contest.

            http://famousdc.com/2009/04/06/fdc-championship-today/

            Just go there and vote for @MatthewGagnon if you could.

            Anyway, why this is KIND OF an RLC Action thing, is that in going through this tournament (which started with 64 people, btw) I have gotten a rather absurd amount of attention – enough that my Twitter page is now ranked like #6 on the list if you google my name.  This is a good thing, as I regularly send RLC related messages, and general commentary in line with RLC ideals.  I’ve gotten up to 5000 followers, most of which are libertarian leaning activists.

            Through the whole endeavor I have faced off with and beaten David Almacy, the former Internet and E-Communications Director for the Bush White House (2005 to 2007), and Patrick Ruffini, who was the Webmaster for Bush-Cheney ’04.  Both are actually really good guys, but they do represent that rather discredited brand of conservatism.

            Michael Turk is the former E-Campaign Director for Bush-Cheney ’04, so he is of the same mold.

            I’ve rather enjoyed slashing my way through former Bush internet legends in this tournament, and it would be great to take one last one down as the final cap to a great tournament.  Libertarian-Republicanism must triumph!!

            But, again, if that isn’t enough, just keep in mind its for a great cause!  J

            Matt

          • John Orlando
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6 11:55 AM

              Doug,

              On the bright side, these polls do act as a persuasive tool for our legislatures who lack the backbone to defend the Constitution, as they swore to do.

              As you say, it's a problem when our backbone-challenged legislatures loose their Constitutional compass and are swayed by what-ever direction the winds of popular opinion are blowing.  And it is in such times that we need their seriously atrophied backbones to be strong.

              John Orlando
              RLCMD

            • Thomas Willenbring
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6 12:31 PM
                Bad Link

                --
                The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. ≈Ayn Rand

                "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." --James Madison

              • Vivian Cancio
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6 2:44 PM
                  This poll seems to be an old one (November 2007) if you go by the path in the link ... I tried to find it through the main USA Today Web site and couldn't find it.
                  V.C.