RE: [RLC-Action] RLC Statement of Principles and Positions

  • John Orlando
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 26, 2009
      Gents & Ladies,

      I've been reading these posts for a couple days now.  Maryland was recently chartered and as their chairman, I was invited into this discussion.  I understand that a lot of people have different views on this subject.

      On a more practical level, FOCA requires all hospitals to perform abortions.  Many hospitals have been set up by the churches that are fundamentally against abortions.

      Would the RLC be against FOCA in so much as it forces doctors via the intrusion of the government to act in manors that are contrary to their own beliefs???

      What are your thoughts??

      John Orlando, Chairman
      Maryland Republican Liberty Caucus

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 26, 2009

        Great idea.

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 26, 2009
          To: RLC-Action group,

          Although the book described at www.patriotpressohio.com is available only
          at that site or by mail orders (Patriot Press Ohio c/o John Mitchel P.O. Box 341083, Beavercreek, OH 45434), I'd like to add it to the list.  I would be happy to
          donate 20 percent of the purchase price to the RLC for sales generated by
          this website.  Check it out at your convenience.

          Cheers,

          Mitch

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 26, 2009

            I don’t know how the message below made it to the list without the following notation:

            [We are far afield from appropriate content for RLC-Action, i. e, "Should the RLC sell books on the website?" -- Good, "What do we think about abortion?" --Bad!  Since you're new to this group, I'll let this last post go through so folks can respond privately.  However (and I direct this to everyone), further discussion should be taken to RLC-Discuss.  Thanks. -- Moderator]

            Let’s please take this to RLC-Discuss.

            Jeff Palmer - jap1@...
            Moderator

            I've been reading these posts for a couple days now.  Maryland was recently chartered and as their chairman, I was invited into this discussion.  I understand that a lot of people have different views on this subject.

            On a more practical level, FOCA requires all hospitals to perform abortions.  Many hospitals have been set up by the churches that are fundamentally against abortions.

            Would the RLC be against FOCA in so much as it forces doctors via the intrusion of the government to act in manors that are contrary to their own beliefs???

            What are your thoughts??

            John Orlando, Chairman
            Maryland Republican Liberty Caucus

          • John Mitchel, LtCol, USAF (Ret
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 26, 2009
              John,

              In my opinion, pro-life = pro-liberty.  The key question never asked or answered by Roe v. Wade is, "When does human life begin?"  If the Supremes would have answered that question then the Constitution would protect human life from conception forward, but by careful design, in my opinion, they left open the answer to when "person-hood" begins.  Then there's always the hypothetical -- "What if a first tri-mester fetus is killed on the way to the abortion clinic by a negligent motorist......?  I don't think there is a court in the land that would not hold the negligent motorist accountable for manslaughter to the fullest extent of the law.  And let's not forget the death penalty.  We can't trust the government to spend our taxes responsibly, why should we leave life and death matters like capital punishment to them to sort out equal justice under the law.  Life in prison and restitution to the murdered victim's survivors would be more in line with Libertarianism, I believe.

              John Mitchel
              RLC-OH

              .

              --
              David Johnson

            • John Orlando
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 26, 2009
                John,

                I think Jeff Palmer wanted us to take this discussion to RLC-Discuss@yahoogroups.com

                BTW will you be in Jacksonville, tomorrow?  we can pick up this conversation then.

                John Orlando, MBA, Chairman

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 27, 2009
                  John,

                  You're right.  I launched the email before receiving Jeff's post.

                  Mitch

                  PS: Regretfully I will not make it to Jacksonville.  Hope you and the other RLC troops
                  have a safe and productive convention.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 27, 2009
                    I don't mean to hijack the discussion here, but since you've mentioned the convention, I'd like to post a link to some photos of volunteers working hard last night on preparations:
                    http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu94/rlcnef/RLC%20Convention%20Thursday/

                    Not everyone who was involved got in on the photos, as my camera unfortunately died early.  I would have loved to get pictures of the finished bags and binders and everything else.  There was a lot of work to be done (and still is, today!), but a lot of people ready and willing to help.  I believe this convention will most definitely be productive and exciting!

                    -Erik